Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 23, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #18,451 of 63,917
It makes a difference but it's very very slight, hardly surprising it's a $20 IEM.

No offence intended but this post comes across a bit 'look at me' with the mention of a +$1000 and $120 cables, LOL? Whatever makes you feel good though.
Not at all. I've since sold the IEMs and cables. Nothing to see here, LOL My current best IEM is a $600 universal with stock cable.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #18,452 of 63,917
Screenshot_20170624-002147.png @slaterlovesspam which one of these SpinFits should I get for the ZS3. I'm not familiar with the ZS3's measurements. As for the stock tips, I'm using the smallest ones.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #18,453 of 63,917
My ghetto recipe for testing cables.

Get a dap and plug in a headphone amp, plug in a headphone splitter and plug in one set of iems into one side and the same set with different cable
into the other. Then listen to one iem with cable in one ear and the other in the other ear. If it sounds different on each side then BAM.
If not then BAM.

Can you feel your I.Q. dropping?

Anyone else caught talking about differences in cables will be asked, by me to take that test..

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #18,454 of 63,917

Get a dap and plug in a headphone amp, plug in a headphone splitter and plug in one set of iems into one side and the same set with different cable
into the other. Then listen to one iem with cable in one ear and the other in the other ear. If it sounds different on each side then BAM.
If not then BAM.

Anyone else caught talking about differences in cables will be asked, by me to take that test..

Though I'm wondering if the bluetooth-connection itself can be at fault due to compression?

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #18,455 of 63,917
High quality Bluetooth gear can sound true to the recording/wired connection (for example, the Mass Fidelity Relay was the first Bluetooth DAC that I couldn't tell apart from a wired DAC). However, one should definitely not expect that same level of performance from a cheap, portable Knowledge Zenith IEM cable. I don't know how advanced the Trinity Audio Engineering and LEAR Bluetooth cables are, but I think that they will also be slightly distinguishable from a wired DAC/connection, however probably not as easily as the Knowledge Zenith Bluetooth cable/module.

Jun 23, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #18,457 of 63,917
Damn, I didn't know they removed in it later iterations. I really dislike when companies incorporate acoustic changes without indication

KZ has done that numerous times. And yes, I dislike it as well.

I'm wondering though why they didn't use the same crossover they used in the ZN1 where it worked well.

I have a ZN1 (both the full size & the Mini), and there's no crossover in either. The full size did have the control box, which allowed digital control over the bass/treble. But unfortunately mine died after a few months of ownership.

Also, Vidal said that the ZN1 Mini is the same internally as the ZS2 (same drivers, no crossover), except the ZS2 has the blue shell.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #18,458 of 63,917
It was just ok. I have not used any bluetooth cable before so i do not have any reference to compare to but if compared to stock cable, the bluetooth just not good in terms of sound quality wise. With the ZS5 connected, the bass becomes even more wooly and loose though somewhat enhanced and some details seemed to be lost. Treble is still there quite bright but it feels less airy as before and the imaging and instrument separation suffered. Of course those are just what i experience, your mileage may vary. On a side note it's pretty lightweight and has an interface that's simple to operate. Battery life wise i'm not sure for such lighweight bluetooth module how long it should last bu reference but ootb without charging, it had lasted me 3 hours + connected to my Note 3 with music playing from poweramp at about 50% volume so i reckon it's pretty good.

What about disconnect issues? That was reported in the original release but was supposedly corrected.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #18,459 of 63,917
@slaterlovesspam which one of these SpinFits should I get for the ZS3. I'm not familiar with the ZS3's measurements. As for the stock tips, I'm using the smallest ones.

The one for the 3mm nozzle. The 5mm nozzle version will be too loose & will fall off.

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #18,460 of 63,917

If not then BAM.

Gotta listen to a mono recording to rule out any differences between the channels too (then BAM). I've merged the stereo channels on specific test tracks in Audacity for this purpose. I also switch ears after listening to rule out differences ear to ear (which I do have in 1 of my ears). And BAM to that also. LOL

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #18,461 of 63,917

If not then BAM.

Test is probably fine as is blind testing which I've done but just so you know, when driving 2 loads, neither will sound the same as driving one. It's like halving the load impedance (same effect as doubling output impedance) and doubling the reactance, and back EMF for the amp to control at the same time.

Jun 23, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #18,462 of 63,917
What about merge the track to mono, send the same signal from one source to two seperate (and the same model) head amps feeding the two seperate iems? Then wear the blindfold and BAM.

Jun 23, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #18,463 of 63,917
What about merge the track to mono, send the same signal from one source to two seperate (and the same model) head amps feeding the two seperate iems? Then wear the blindfold and BAM.
Last response to this topic and not technical. How about you just listen to them and if you're not certain, buy the cheaper one. Good advice for any purchase.

Jun 23, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #18,464 of 63,917
The reason for all that was that now if anyone talks about differences with cables in this thread someone can just cut and paste my last comment and BAM....
No more cable talk in this wonderful thread.

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #18,465 of 63,917

That works. Or you could always merge to mono MP3, output over splitter, sending 1 channel over bluetooth and the other channel over optical output making sure to use cable lifters so it doesn't absorb any stray electrons or solar radiation, recombine the 2 channels to stereo on receiving end, then convert to flac, send file to yourself in email, open attachment on PC with DAC hooked up via USB, then play file with Beats headphones and BAM.

haha

How about you just listen to them and if you're not certain, buy the cheaper one. Good advice for any purchase.

Or that works too LOL!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back