JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
May 10, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #1,951 of 2,420
Well, the tolerances in the aftermarket connectors could be better in terms of pins, so I had to manhandle them...

Man you really do have some slick DIY / soldering skills! Your sharing also shed some light into something that has been bugging me for a while - I have all along had the impression that Layla needed 4 wires per side (based on the claims of several cable makers), making it a 8-wire cable. Seems like your DIY work here, assuming it works on the Layla too, shows 2 wires per side works great. Correct me if I am wrong, perhaps you only need an 8-wire cable if you want to have that adjustable bass trim pot unit...

May 10, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #1,952 of 2,420
Well here's an interesting update. Out of blue, my ears started having allergic reaction to silicon. This is after 5+ years of using IEMs with silicon tips without issue. It's pretty bad - ear canals swell up and lymphatic liquid starts seeping inside my ears. Tried this a couple times in the past 2 months and different silicon tips and different IEMs all caused the same allergic reaction.

I was about to sell off my universals for customs but thought I would try foam tips. As luck would have it, no issues with foam. I admit I was not a fan of foam due to the extra steps to use and short life compared to silicon. I ended up using Comply 500 Comfort tips without the ear wax guard. Once I watched the videos and some practice, it's pretty easy to put in my ears and I must say - a lot more comfortable than silicon. Sound about the same as the Spiral Tips I was using before but a little less mid bass I think.

Really strange turn of events but glad I don't have to shell out the dollars for customs.

Update - after a full week with foam tips, I am a convert! Trick is to hold the IEM in place after insertion for about 20 sec for the foam to fully expand. Yes, it's clearly stated in the instructions but who reads instructions LOL?

Sorry to hear about the allergy but very glad things with the foamies worked out nicely for you. Out of curiosity, on average, how much time do you spend listening with silicon tips a day?

May 11, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #1,953 of 2,420
Could somebody tell me what the dials do on the JH Audio cables and how to adjust them. I assume it is for bass/treble control.
TIA

NVM - found my answer. So, I know it's a very subjective preference, but where do most adjust the crossover? Flat or bass 50% up, or where on the dial?

Last edited:
May 11, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #1,954 of 2,420
Could somebody tell me what the dials do on the JH Audio cables and how to adjust them. I assume it is for bass/treble control.
TIA

NVM - found my answer. So, I know it's a very subjective preference, but where do most adjust the crossover? Flat or bass 50% up, or where on the dial?

As you rightfully put it, it's a very subjective preference. I started off with 12 o' clock and had it that way for a month. I then went down to 10 o' clock for a couple weeks before settling at 9 o' clock for about as long as I have had the Laylas. Then just a couple weeks ago I had it turned down all the way, flat, and surprisingly I have been enjoying them immensely at this setting. Going back to 9 o' clock, I now find the bass a bit too much for my liking so they are staying flat until such time my ears crave for more lows. At the end of the day, it will really depend on the gears / cables you have and more importantly, how you like your bass served. Happy listening!

May 12, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #1,955 of 2,420
Sorry to hear about the allergy but very glad things with the foamies worked out nicely for you. Out of curiosity, on average, how much time do you spend listening with silicon tips a day?

It's definitely weird. I have no other allergies that I know of. My listening sessions are generally about 2 hours with the Laylas, 3-4 times per week.

May 15, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #1,957 of 2,420
As you rightfully put it, it's a very subjective preference. I started off with 12 o' clock and had it that way for a month. I then went down to 10 o' clock for a couple weeks before settling at 9 o' clock for about as long as I have had the Laylas. Then just a couple weeks ago I had it turned down all the way, flat, and surprisingly I have been enjoying them immensely at this setting. Going back to 9 o' clock, I now find the bass a bit too much for my liking so they are staying flat until such time my ears crave for more lows. At the end of the day, it will really depend on the gears / cables you have and more importantly, how you like your bass served. Happy listening!

Thanks. So I would imagine they are designed to give a flat frequency response when it's turned all the way counter clockwise, not at 12 o'clock?

May 16, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #1,958 of 2,420
Thanks. So I would imagine they are designed to give a flat frequency response when it's turned all the way counter clockwise, not at 12 o'clock?

That is my understanding, at least for the universals. I believe that is the case because when I compare it against my UERR, the bass response is virtually identical when the dials on the Layla are turned all the way down / counter clockwise. Comparing to the UERR, the bass on the Layla, even when turned down all the way, still had a bit more decay but certainly not in a bad way.

May 16, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #1,959 of 2,420
It's definitely weird. I have no other allergies that I know of. My listening sessions are generally about 2 hours with the Laylas, 3-4 times per week.

That is certainly nowhere near excessive / prolonged listening so, it is indeed very weird that you developed an adverse reaction to the silicons. I hope things get better with time and you can go back to using silicons. Take care man.

May 16, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #1,960 of 2,420
That is my understanding, at least for the universals. I believe that is the case because when I compare it against my UERR, the bass response is virtually identical when the dials on the Layla are turned all the way down / counter clockwise. Comparing to the UERR, the bass on the Layla, even when turned down all the way, still had a bit more decay but certainly not in a bad way.

You are right, I emailed JH Audio and got this from them:

"On the Roxanne, the cable can drop the bass up to 15 db’s. On the Layla, it will drop 10 db’s.
Flat would be all the way counter clock-wise."

Jun 30, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #1,961 of 2,420
Got my Layla II yesterday. With the balanced cable plugged into my AK320, these babies sing so beautifully, I almost can´t believe it. Endgame earbuds, definitely. LouisArmstrong is right about the bass. Keep it flat and the Laylas outclass my SE846 by a country mile, in bass quality AND quantity. Now I have to upgrade my cables for the SE846, otherwise I fear I won´t ever be listening to them again!

Jul 2, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #1,962 of 2,420
Got my Layla II yesterday. With the balanced cable plugged into my AK320, these babies sing so beautifully, I almost can´t believe it. Endgame earbuds, definitely. LouisArmstrong is right about the bass. Keep it flat and the Laylas outclass my SE846 by a country mile, in bass quality AND quantity. Now I have to upgrade my cables for the SE846, otherwise I fear I won´t ever be listening to them again!

Understand how they sound much better than the SE846 but did you compare the Layla II to other TOTL IEMs like the Campfire Vega or Empire Ears Zeus XRA?

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #1,963 of 2,420
I feel like I should share my experience dealing with JH Audio, it's been very pleasant. They answered my questions quickly and politely via both email and telephone. This was before and after I made my purchase. Maybe it would be different for someone quizzing them on the phone about a used pair they haven't even bought yet.

The Layla's are a very well built, great sounding iem, one of the best available at this time in my opinion. . The fact that they won't honor a warranty for a second owner is pretty common and totally understandable. I'm confident that if I were to need anything as far as service or cleaning it will be handled quickly and professionally. If work is needed after the warranty is up, that would be on my dime. Again, totally understandable...I did not see ANY pre owned "lightly used" pairs available anywhere, let alone at "good deals". I think that most people that buy these, keep them. I like the idea of "new" from an authorized dealer with a valid warranty anyway, especially at these prices.

As far as the fit, they fit me great. I can barely tell they are there. You'd just have to try them on for yourselves. If you are on the fence about them, you will not be disappointed with the excellent sound they produce, they really are awesome. I have mine paired with an Ak300 and I'm pretty much done looking at anything else these days. It would be hard to convince me that something is better, it may be a different sound, not necessarily better. Eric
Did you compare the Layla to Empire Ears Zeus XRA??

Jul 2, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #1,965 of 2,420
Does anyone know, which Comply Foam Tips Model is included in the Layla II box?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back