JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Apr 12, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #1,936 of 2,420
Can anyone recommend a DAP to use with my Laylas? I just recently got an Astell & Kern AK240 player, and it sounded way too dark for my tastes. I tend to like more analytical/detail sound signatures than warmth. So I found the AK240 to be dark and lacking in detail. I actually preferred the Fiio X7 I used to have to the AK240; the X7 seemed to have much more details and not at dark.

So I might go back to the Fiio X7, but figured I'd consider other options first. Is there something else in the Astell & Kern line that is more analytical in sound signature?

Must have balanced output and at least 128gb internal storage...

Thanks!

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #1,937 of 2,420
  Can anyone recommend a DAP to use with my Laylas? I just recently got an Astell & Kern AK240 player, and it sounded way too dark for my tastes. I tend to like more analytical/detail sound signatures than warmth. So I found the AK240 to be dark and lacking in detail. I actually preferred the Fiio X7 I used to have to the AK240; the X7 seemed to have much more details and not at dark.

So I might go back to the Fiio X7, but figured I'd consider other options first. Is there something else in the Astell & Kern line that is more analytical in sound signature?

Thanks!

I have had similar experiences with AK DAPs. The breakthrough is AK380 with the AK Amp. The Amp brings the clarity back. However, this adds considerable cost and size. You may want to wait to try out the new AK KANN that is is basically and AK DAP with the Amp built in - all for only $1000. It's also a little bulky. I can also tell you that Onkyo DP-X1 also sounds dark and muddy with the Laylas. On the cheaper alternative, the AudioQuest Dragon Fly Red pairs well with Layla and works with your smartphone.

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #1,938 of 2,420

Thanks!

The Layla's work great with the Questyle Audio QP1r DAP. 

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #1,940 of 2,420

Thanks!

I would check out cowon plenue S or the new P2. Battery life aint great but you can get any sound sig you want with a great UI.

Apr 13, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #1,942 of 2,420
That auction is for Roxanne II and not Layla

I know mate, it's just I've found more Layla's in the condition I've explained. I was also on this thread when I thought about asking.

Anyway, the seller has now stated on the eBay page that returns are accepted. I've left the same offer as I did in the previous listing, pretty sure I'll be joining the siren series club (which I didn't believe I'd do) :)

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #1,944 of 2,420
L3000.gif
Hello everybody! Just got my custom Layla today! Thanks to JH Audio artist relations Michael Licata, I got this CIEM of a great deal within 4 days from Orlando lab to Vegas! Unbelievable! 
biggrin.gif

I also has an universal Roxanne II which fit great but looks big of shell. This custom Layla fits better with looking perfect to my ear! Sound is really amazing and I'll try to get more impression and share with you guys later!! 

And there are some problems of my macbook to upload the pictures, I'll try to figure it out soon!!

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #1,945 of 2,420

L3000.gif
Hello everybody! Just got my custom Layla today! Thanks to JH Audio artist relations Michael Licata, I got this CIEM of a great deal within 4 days from Orlando lab to Vegas! Unbelievable! 
biggrin.gif

I also has an universal Roxanne II which fit great but looks big of shell. This custom Layla fits better with looking perfect to my ear! Sound is really amazing and I'll try to get more impression and share with you guys later!! 

And there are some problems of my macbook to upload the pictures, I'll try to figure it out soon!!

Welcome to the club! I am sure you will have many amazing moments with the Layla. 

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #1,946 of 2,420
JHA Custom Linum Bax cable hybrid.

So, an SVP in my company (on my urging for years) bought his first CIEM from JHAudio. Going in I knew he'd hate the thick cable, but being able to dial in his own bass level would avoid also having the wrong signature (as a bague general rule)

Short story, he got a pair of JHA13ProV2s and I just got to 95% done on making him a set of cables dialed in with 47.5Ohm resistors for almost exactly the bass he likes (a little over 12 o clock):

I tested before closing them up, and right now the epoxy I injected into them is curing.

Cross fingers:

IMG_4095.JPG IMG_4094.JPG IMG_4093.JPG IMG_4092.JPG IMG_4090.JPG IMG_4088.JPG IMG_4087.JPG IMG_4086.JPG IMG_4085.JPG IMG_4084.JPG

May 2, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #1,950 of 2,420
Well here's an interesting update. Out of blue, my ears started having allergic reaction to silicon. This is after 5+ years of using IEMs with silicon tips without issue. It's pretty bad - ear canals swell up and lymphatic liquid starts seeping inside my ears. Tried this a couple times in the past 2 months and different silicon tips and different IEMs all caused the same allergic reaction.

I was about to sell off my universals for customs but thought I would try foam tips. As luck would have it, no issues with foam. I admit I was not a fan of foam due to the extra steps to use and short life compared to silicon. I ended up using Comply 500 Comfort tips without the ear wax guard. Once I watched the videos and some practice, it's pretty easy to put in my ears and I must say - a lot more comfortable than silicon. Sound about the same as the Spiral Tips I was using before but a little less mid bass I think.

Really strange turn of events but glad I don't have to shell out the dollars for customs.

Update - after a full week with foam tips, I am a convert! Trick is to hold the IEM in place after insertion for about 20 sec for the foam to fully expand. Yes, it's clearly stated in the instructions but who reads instructions LOL?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back