If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 27, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #10,576 of 19,246
DSC_0065.JPG

Here is my latest experiment on ER4S cable - SPOCC with 100ohm Vishay Dale CMF50 resistor built in the adapter for a cleaner look.

Apr 28, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #10,579 of 19,246
Any suggestions where to get the corresponding mmcx connector for ER4XR for me to diy a new cable?

AFAIK, there is no MMCX connectors that will fit the new ER4SR/XR nicely. You can use the regular types that are meant for other IEM, but they are cumbersome / elongated, ugly, and won't stop spinning. I really won't bother with those if I were you.

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #10,580 of 19,246
DSC_0064.JPG

Another experiment on ER4S cable - OFC with 100ohm Vishay Dale CMF50 resistor built into the 3.5mm plug.

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #10,582 of 19,246
How is it for cable noise without going over the ears??

The cable is very soft, so cable noise is pretty much minimum.

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #10,583 of 19,246
ETYMOTIC WARRANTY EXCHANGE PROGRAM IS A RIP OFF!!!! Sent in my old ER4's for the out-of-warranty promotion price of $275 for the new ER4XR. But it turns out they will not combine the $50 off coupon (running in April 2017) with the $275 price. (Meaning a new customer pays only $24 more than a customer trading up, and they get free Plugs!) Long story short, after the cost of sending the old headphones in, it has COST ME MORE THAN IT WOULD A NEW CUSTOMER. I could have sold the old ones elsewhere and used the money towards buying new earphones. Instead, ETYMOTIC gave me gross savings $24 for my trade, cost me $7 to mail in, and unlike their Amazon sales, they charge $11 shipping on their website. That leaves $6 net savings, BUT I COULD HAVE SOLD MY OLD ETYMOTIC ER4's for more than $6. Albert Arends (VP at Etymotic) seemed to think there was nothing wrong with their business model. I will bring my business elsewhere. I am going to request my earphones back from them, sell them, and buy from a competitor.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #10,584 of 19,246
ETYMOTIC WARRANTY EXCHANGE PROGRAM IS A RIP OFF!!!! I am no longer happy with Etymotic...

I didn't see how Etymotic is at fault here. Obviously you have done your math wrong when you do not read Etymotic's terms (*here and here) correctly. Besides, you should have known (and asked if you don't) that promotions are generally not combinable

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #10,585 of 19,246
They are at fault. If you buy at car, for example, you often can have the low interest rate or the rebate, but not both. --An example of not being able to combine discounts. HOWEVER, if a car dealer said they were going to give you less for your trade because there were other incentives, you would know that they were trying to rip you off. That is EXACTLY what Etymotic is doing with their "warranty" program. And your links "here and here" make nothing clear! Their program states that option 2 is $275. Why would one think they would not be eligible for other regular consumer discounts, just like the person buying a car, I TRADED IN MY OLD ER4 EARPHONES WITH ETYMOTIC and GOT ALMOST NOTHING IN RETURN!!! Their warranty program is a good deal only for them!

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #10,586 of 19,246
They are at fault. If you buy at car, for example, you often can have the low interest rate or the rebate, but not both. --An example of not being able to combine discounts. HOWEVER, if a car dealer said they were going to give you less for your trade because there were other incentives, you would know that they were trying to rip you off. That is EXACTLY what Etymotic is doing with their "warranty" program. And your links "here and here" make nothing clear! Their program states that option 2 is $275. Why would one think they would not be eligible for other regular consumer discounts, just like the person buying a car, I TRADED IN MY OLD ER4 EARPHONES WITH ETYMOTIC and GOT ALMOST NOTHING IN RETURN!!! Their warranty program is a good deal only for them!

Find me a clean statement where Etymotic has promised that you or anyone can apply both discount / promotion at the same time or else it is your own assumption that fails you. Just because you believe you are entitled to something doesn't make it so. The lesson here is that you should have confirmed with them before sending your ER4 out. If they promised you and didn't deliver, then it is their fault; otherwise, it is yours.

Apr 29, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #10,587 of 19,246
Find me a clean statement where Etymotic has promised that you or anyone can apply both discount / promotion at the same time or else it is your own assumption that fails you. Just because you believe you are entitled to something doesn't make it so. The lesson here is that you should have confirmed with them before sending your ER4 out. If they promised you and didn't deliver, then it is their fault; otherwise, it is yours.
Sometimes folks get caught up in the details, and lose focus on the big picture. ***Etymotic is having customer's send in their old ER4 earphones that retail for $299, and giving them almost nothing for them.*** That is because the fine print says you cannot add regular consumer discounts and get credit for your old earphones. You are correct -- I should have checked before ordering. The real lesson learned is BUYER BEWARE. Etytmotic's WARRANY UPGRADE IS not a trade-in program, but just A LOW-VALUE PROMOTION. You will get practically nothing for sending in your old ER4 earphones. For those considering upgrading to the ER4SR/ER4XR: The intent of my posting is the make current Etymotic owners of older model ER4 earphones aware that is NOT worth sending in their old earphones, as they could sell them elsewhere and net a lower out-of-pocket expense. Bringing me back to my earlier closing statement: Albert Arends (VP at Etymotic) seemed to think there was nothing wrong with their business model. I will bring my business elsewhere.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #10,588 of 19,246
Etytmotic's WARRANY UPGRADE IS not a trade-in program, but just A LOW-VALUE PROMOTION. You will get practically nothing for sending in your old ER4 earphones. For those considering upgrading to the ER4SR/ER4XR: The intent of my posting is the make current Etymotic owners of older model ER4 earphones aware that is NOT worth sending in their old earphones, as they could sell them elsewhere and net a lower out-of-pocket expense. ***For me, I do not want to do business with Etymotic, as I personally feel that it is offensive that my old ER4 earphones were actually worth nothing! THE MATH: (UPGRADE) The total cost for the ER4 upgrade is $302.50, with 6% sales tax and $11 shipping from Etymotic--out-of-warranty ER4 upgrade program provides a $74 coupon only for use on Etymotic's website. (NEW CUSTOMERS PAY LESS) New customers can get Etymotic's ER4XR/ER4SR earphones (April promo) for $299 and can purchase via Amazon from an AUTHORIZED ETYMOTIC DEALER for $299, no sales tax, no shipping charges. I paid $7 to ship my old earphones back. Bottom line is to upgrade would cost me about $10.50 MORE than to just buy from an authorized dealer on Amazon.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #10,589 of 19,246
**It will cost you more to upgrade than to just buy new***
Etytmotic's WARRANY UPGRADE IS not a trade-in program, but just A LOW-VALUE PROMOTION. You will get practically nothing for sending in your old ER4 earphones. For those considering upgrading to the ER4SR/ER4XR: The intent of my posting is the make current Etymotic owners of older model ER4 earphones aware that is NOT worth sending in their old earphones, as they could sell them elsewhere and net a lower out-of-pocket expense. ***For me, I do not want to do business with Etymotic, as I personally feel that it is offensive that my old ER4 earphones were actually worth nothing! THE MATH: (UPGRADE) The total cost for the ER4 upgrade is $302.50, with 6% sales tax and $11 shipping from Etymotic--out-of-warranty ER4 upgrade program provides a $74 coupon only for use on Etymotic's website. (NEW CUSTOMERS PAY LESS) New customers can get Etymotic's ER4XR/ER4SR earphones (April promo) for $299 and can purchase via Amazon from an AUTHORIZED ETYMOTIC DEALER for $299, no sales tax, no shipping charges. I paid $7 to ship my old earphones back. Bottom line is to upgrade would cost me $10.50 MORE than to just buy from an authorized dealer on Amazon.
It will cost more to use the out-of-warranty upgrade option than to just buy them as a new customer. --That is not the type of business I want to engage with.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #10,590 of 19,246
ok so you're mad. I fail to see where this is etymotic's fault. they make an offer, consumers are interested or they are not and that's it. etymotic didn't pull a knife on you forcing you to use an offer that isn't to your benefit. IMO you're making a fuss over something unreasonable. the guys at Ety would have told you everything if you just had asked beforehand. you can only blame yourself for your own mistakes.

my pair of er4sr ended up costing me close to 500euro, delivery, custom and all. I didn't come to blame etymotic for France having import taxes. you made a mistake, better luck next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back