IBasso Audio IT03
May 17, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #2,536 of 3,344
every now and then you like to be pleased with an iem, and it03 is among the ones i will keep, and i am for sure buying the it04 which i hope is coming out soon

on another note i am interested in buying cb13 cable for both the it03 and would like to know if it work with shure 846, i wish you could help in answering this

I have the CB12 and it works with Westone type MMCX ports but not Shure's. It looks like the CB13 has the same collared-type MMCX connectors. If this is correct, then I guess it won't work with Shures as well. Here is a photo from @ExpatinJapan.

%255BUNSET%255D

May 17, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #2,537 of 3,344
I have the CB12 and it works with Westone type MMCX ports but not Shure's. It looks like the CB13 has the same collared-type MMCX connectors. If this is correct, then I guess it won't work with Shures as well. Here is a photo from @ExpatinJapan.

%255BUNSET%255D
thanks for letting me know

May 17, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #2,538 of 3,344
I don't have the CB13 (only CB12). But from these two pictures:

cb12.JPG
cb13.JPG

They appear to have the same thing going on with the MMCX cover. It comes down lower than on other MMCX connectors I've seen/had. Prevents a good connection to my MaGaosi K3 Pro. Paul indicated that they do this to prevent the IT03 from rotating so much. He also indicated that it wouldn't hurt anything to trim the rubber boot a bit to eliminate the problem. If you look at the MMCX connector on the IT03, it sticks up a bit from the housing, whereas the connector on the K3 is flush with the housing, which causes the problem. I've never closely examined the 846, so I don't know if it would even be an issue, but the trim thing seems like a practical work-around. (all based on my CB12 experience of course.)

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #2,539 of 3,344
Does the CB12 cable improve after burn in?. out of the box i think the stock sounds better than the cb12 .. Anyways , my it03 was delivered today and after 2 hours of listening they sound pretty good but not quite what i was expecting . The sound lacks a bit of body and the bass is mostly sub bass . i'm using the opus#2 in high gain , so plenty of power .

May 18, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #2,540 of 3,344
Give the 03s plenty of time to burn in and they will be far more satisfying. I burned mine in for 150 hours and was pleasantly surprised at how everything had tightened up. Definitely put a smile on my face

May 18, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #2,541 of 3,344
Does the CB12 cable improve after burn in?. out of the box i think the stock sounds better than the cb12 .. Anyways , my it03 was delivered today and after 2 hours of listening they sound pretty good but not quite what i was expecting . The sound lacks a bit of body and the bass is mostly sub bass . i'm using the opus#2 in high gain , so plenty of power .

Volume matching?

I noticed that the CB12 was a little different than stock when I switch from SE out to balanced out on my Plenue 2. Not as noticeable with the X5iii.

May 19, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #2,543 of 3,344
Fantastic review.Really liked the objective approach you had in this one.More often than not, minute changes in sound quality due to cable changes are simply a change in volume due to the difference in the resistivity of the cable.And really cables to me cables provide more of a small change in sound rather than necessarily an improvement.Nonetheless I'm guilty of being the minority willing to shell out a couple of hundred for aesthetics alone

May 19, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #2,544 of 3,344
Will the fiio x5iii be a good match for the it03.?. I know few people have said the it03 benefits from a powerful output source. Those with the x5iii could you please share your experience. Ta

May 19, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #2,545 of 3,344
Will the fiio x5iii be a good match for the it03.?. I know few people have said the it03 benefits from a powerful output source. Those with the x5iii could you please share your experience. Ta

I've been quite pleased with the sound of the IT03/X5iii combo, although more so with balanced (CB12) cable than with stock.

I've felt the shallow (2d vs 3d) sound stage is the biggest weakness of the X5iii, and I think it's better from balanced output. Note that I hear that with all my IEMs/Cans, but possibly more noticeable with IT03s.

As I've said over and over, it's a fairly subtle, but still noticeable, difference (vs Cowon Plenue 2, which is 3x $$$, and also vs my desktop rig Ultra-Fi to RSA Shadow).

I don't hear the X5's slight lower-mids/upper bass warmth any differently w/ the IT03s vs other sets.

May 19, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #2,546 of 3,344
I've been quite pleased with the sound of the IT03/X5iii combo, although more so with balanced (CB12) cable than with stock.

I've felt the shallow (2d vs 3d) sound stage is the biggest weakness of the X5iii, and I think it's better from balanced output. Note that I hear that with all my IEMs/Cans, but possibly more noticeable with IT03s.

As I've said over and over, it's a fairly subtle, but still noticeable, difference (vs Cowon Plenue 2, which is 3x $$$, and also vs my desktop rig Ultra-Fi to RSA Shadow).

I don't hear the X5's slight lower-mids/upper bass warmth any differently w/ the IT03s vs other sets.
Thank you very much

May 20, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #2,548 of 3,344
I trimmed off the collar on my CB13. Easy to do, takes about 10 seconds, just pay attention to what you are doing. Still works fine on my IT03 and with anything else I try the cable on. With the CB13 I get a little deeper bass compared to stock and a slightly larger sound field.

May 21, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #2,550 of 3,344
Chris I am not sure if your review states that the resistance of the stock cable and the CB13 are the same. To clarify the CB13 is .2 ohms and the stock cable is .4 ohms per channel. Also the CB13 is a type of Litz construction and uses flat wire for better skin effect with frequencies.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back