Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Jul 2, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #3,256 of 3,643
Here were my first impressions when I first tried both the Onkyo's and H8's last September (still own the Onkyo's along with the P7's now).

"I had the chance to try a few more bass heavy headphones over the last couple of months including the B&O H8's, B&W P5's and more recently the Onkyo H500BT's.

I'll start with the H8's which I tested along side the H7's at my local B&O store; as I expected the build quality is outstanding and they're certainly one of the best looking headphones I've seen, they look great in black & tan!

Comfort wise they're pretty good with a decent clamping force on my smallish head (for me they could have been a touch tighter but for most Id imagine they'd be perfect), the ear pads are very soft and even with glasses they didn't seem to exert any unwanted pressure. Obviously trying them in store I wasn't able to test them over a prolonged period but I cant see anyone having too much trouble with them comfort wise. The only thing worth mentioning is that the headband padding wasn't very soft and although the headphones don't weigh a huge amount I could feel some pressure on the top of my head.

Now to the sound; I was actually quite surprised at how bassy they were, great depth with a good amount of weight! The bass was certainly boosted but they didn't sound overly boomy. The mids and highs were also quite present but they lacked a bit of warmth which is something I really look for in a set of headphones.

Unfortunately the ANC introduced quite noticable hiss and seemed to reduce the mids and highs making them sound less forward.

The H7's were very similar in most respects but really lacked the deep bass of the H8's so were quickly put down.

The B&W P5's again were very well put together and felt like a really premium product. They were very cushiony and had a more comfortable headband than the H8's but they did create a small amount of pressure from the cups when wearing glasses.

The sound was very similar to the H8's, perhaps a little warmer and a little less sub bass, and maybe slightly more rolled off highs.

Now to the Onkyo H500BT's, these were my latest purchase after reading some positive comments from 'Sonic Defender' recently. I heard of them a while ago when Giogio mentioned he was testing them but I'd been waiting to hear his comments, which sadly Im not sure we will ever hear now (please come back Giogio, we miss you!). I also have a high end A/V receiver from Onkyo which I highly rate so I was quite optimistic with how the H500BT's would perform....I wasn't wrong, they're now my favourite wireless cans by far!!

Firstly they have a very minimal look which I really like, and although they're mainly constructed of plastic they certainly don't feel cheap! They may not quite have the premium feel of the H8's or P5's but don't forget they're a fraction of the price, I actually paid £135 (new) here in the UK which is astonishing considering their performance!

They remind me a lot of the Philips Fidelio M2BT's which until now have been my favourite sounding bluetooth headphones out of the ones I've tested to date (here's a link to those reviews http://www.head-fi.org/t/746519/hug...eadphones-post-your-own-comparisons-here/1545 ). I think the Fidelio's may still just pip the Onkyo's to the post in terms of sound quality and signature but the philips are majorly lacking in other areas! They both render bass frequencies very well without eating into the mids and they both have a lovely warm, rich, clean signature which renders vocals beautifully. The Fidelio's certainly have a deeper sub bass but the Onkyo's were surprisingly close in this respect and they both have a nice punch to them with little sign of boosting. Where the Onkyo's couldn't quite match the sub bass of the Fidelio's they did out perform them with their highs, but again only just!

They may be very similar in sound signature but the Onkyo's really outshone the Fidelio's in almost every other respect! Although they're almost identical in size and shape I found the Onkyo's much more comfortable over a prolonged period, probably due to the fact that they have much less clamping force and seem to exert pressure in a much more forgiving way. The Bluetooth performance was also spot on with no hint of drop out and very minimal hiss which is a real bugbear of mine! The Fidelio's had very poor Bluetooth performance with regular drop outs and quite noticeable hiss, as well as an annoying buzz in the left earpiece on the two units I tested!"

Jul 2, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #3,257 of 3,643
Here were my first impressions when I first tried both the Onkyo's and H8's last September (still own the Onkyo's along with the P7's now).

"I had the chance to try a few more bass heavy headphones over the last couple of months including the B&O H8's, B&W P5's and more recently the Onkyo H500BT's.

I'll start with the H8's which I tested along side the H7's at my local B&O store; as I expected the build quality is outstanding and they're certainly one of the best looking headphones I've seen, they look great in black & tan!

Comfort wise they're pretty good with a decent clamping force on my smallish head (for me they could have been a touch tighter but for most Id imagine they'd be perfect), the ear pads are very soft and even with glasses they didn't seem to exert any unwanted pressure. Obviously trying them in store I wasn't able to test them over a prolonged period but I cant see anyone having too much trouble with them comfort wise. The only thing worth mentioning is that the headband padding wasn't very soft and although the headphones don't weigh a huge amount I could feel some pressure on the top of my head.

Now to the sound; I was actually quite surprised at how bassy they were, great depth with a good amount of weight! The bass was certainly boosted but they didn't sound overly boomy. The mids and highs were also quite present but they lacked a bit of warmth which is something I really look for in a set of headphones.

Unfortunately the ANC introduced quite noticable hiss and seemed to reduce the mids and highs making them sound less forward.

The H7's were very similar in most respects but really lacked the deep bass of the H8's so were quickly put down.

The B&W P5's again were very well put together and felt like a really premium product. They were very cushiony and had a more comfortable headband than the H8's but they did create a small amount of pressure from the cups when wearing glasses.

The sound was very similar to the H8's, perhaps a little warmer and a little less sub bass, and maybe slightly more rolled off highs.

Now to the Onkyo H500BT's, these were my latest purchase after reading some positive comments from 'Sonic Defender' recently. I heard of them a while ago when Giogio mentioned he was testing them but I'd been waiting to hear his comments, which sadly Im not sure we will ever hear now (please come back Giogio, we miss you!). I also have a high end A/V receiver from Onkyo which I highly rate so I was quite optimistic with how the H500BT's would perform....I wasn't wrong, they're now my favourite wireless cans by far!!

Firstly they have a very minimal look which I really like, and although they're mainly constructed of plastic they certainly don't feel cheap! They may not quite have the premium feel of the H8's or P5's but don't forget they're a fraction of the price, I actually paid £135 (new) here in the UK which is astonishing considering their performance!

They remind me a lot of the Philips Fidelio M2BT's which until now have been my favourite sounding bluetooth headphones out of the ones I've tested to date (here's a link to those reviews http://www.head-fi.org/t/746519/hug...eadphones-post-your-own-comparisons-here/1545 ). I think the Fidelio's may still just pip the Onkyo's to the post in terms of sound quality and signature but the philips are majorly lacking in other areas! They both render bass frequencies very well without eating into the mids and they both have a lovely warm, rich, clean signature which renders vocals beautifully. The Fidelio's certainly have a deeper sub bass but the Onkyo's were surprisingly close in this respect and they both have a nice punch to them with little sign of boosting. Where the Onkyo's couldn't quite match the sub bass of the Fidelio's they did out perform them with their highs, but again only just!

They may be very similar in sound signature but the Onkyo's really outshone the Fidelio's in almost every other respect! Although they're almost identical in size and shape I found the Onkyo's much more comfortable over a prolonged period, probably due to the fact that they have much less clamping force and seem to exert pressure in a much more forgiving way. The Bluetooth performance was also spot on with no hint of drop out and very minimal hiss which is a real bugbear of mine! The Fidelio's had very poor Bluetooth performance with regular drop outs and quite noticeable hiss, as well as an annoying buzz in the left earpiece on the two units I tested!"
Alright, you guys have convinced me on the Onkyo's. Do you have the white one or the black one? I'm wondering how much fade/staining the white pair would get overtime. I'm definitely leaning towards the white but if it's gonna get dirty real fast, I'm not too sure if it would be a good idea.

Jul 2, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #3,258 of 3,643
Alright, you guys have convinced me on the Onkyo's. Do you have the white one or the black one? I'm wondering how much fade/staining the white pair would get overtime. I'm definitely leaning towards the white but if it's gonna get dirty real fast, I'm not too sure if it would be a good idea.
I have the black myself.

Jul 2, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #3,260 of 3,643
Any recommendation for a case?

Also, can this be paired with multiple devices? Like my phone and laptop? What would happen if both and phone and laptops are on and bluetooth enabled?

Finally, would onkyo provide replacement earpads if I need them down the line?

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #3,261 of 3,643
Any recommendation for a case?

Also, can this be paired with multiple devices? Like my phone and laptop? What would happen if both and phone and laptops are on and bluetooth enabled?

Finally, would onkyo provide replacement earpads if I need them down the line?

I use this case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TUE4GBG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works pretty well and you can also store your cables and portable DAC/amp or DAP in there.

I haven't tried connecting to a laptop and phone at the same time so don't know if/how it works.

As for the pads, you may want to contact Onkyo and find out. I've had mine for about a year now and they still feel like new but I only wear them when I'm not doing physical activity so they haven't gotten sweaty.

Jul 2, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #3,262 of 3,643
I use this case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TUE4GBG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works pretty well and you can also store your cables and portable DAC/amp or DAP in there.

I haven't tried connecting to a laptop and phone at the same time so don't know if/how it works.

As for the pads, you may want to contact Onkyo and find out. I've had mine for about a year now and they still feel like new but I only wear them when I'm not doing physical activity so they haven't gotten sweaty.
How snug is the fit? As for H500BT itself, do you have the black one as well?

Jul 3, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #3,263 of 3,643

That's my one complaint--not very snug. (My other complaint: I fixed the forward-facing flashing Bluetooth light with a tiny piece of electrical tape.)

They have a loose, 45-degree swivel (horizontal) so they conform to the angles of my ears--which are pretty flat, but don't provide any clamping force unless I get them adjusted on the top of my head just right. And then it doesn't seem like they are in the correct position for my ear canals.

(I have black, also.)

Jul 3, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #3,264 of 3,643
That's my one complaint--not very snug. (My other complaint: I fixed the forward-facing flashing Bluetooth light with a tiny piece of electrical tape.)

They have a loose, 45-degree swivel (horizontal) so they conform to the angles of my ears--which are pretty flat, but don't provide any clamping force unless I get them adjusted on the top of my head just right. And then it doesn't seem like they are in the correct position for my ear canals.

(I have black, also.)
Oh, I was asking about the fit of the case. hahaha

Jul 6, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #3,265 of 3,643

I think the H500BT fits perfectly in this case. There is plenty of room inside so you can line up exactly where you want them but they stay firmly in place thanks to the sturdy elastic band and the headband mount.

I have the black H500BT. If you are traveling soon, I highly recommend getting it at one of the Inmotion stores at U.S. airports. They are currently priced 20% below (for $160). Great deal.

Jul 8, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #3,266 of 3,643
So I just ended up buying both off amazon to try them out (gonna have to pay for return shipping but w/e). Wow, I did not realize my glasses would be such a problem for on-ear headphones. Both of them press down on my ears hard enough that they squish against the legs of my glasses. Not too pleasant... H8 seems slightly more comfortable than H500bt in that regard. Gah...

I guess I should start looking for comfortable over the ears...

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #3,267 of 3,643
So I just ended up buying both off amazon to try them out (gonna have to pay for return shipping but w/e). Wow, I did not realize my glasses would be such a problem for on-ear headphones. Both of them press down on my ears hard enough that they squish against the legs of my glasses. Not too pleasant... H8 seems slightly more comfortable than H500bt in that regard. Gah...

I guess I should start looking for comfortable over the ears...
I always put the headphones on then glasses after with the arms resting on the pads. the lenses may be angled slightly but they work fine and more importantly the sound of the headphone isn't compromised. If you have the arms of your glasses under the pads you are breaking the seal and killing the bass so if you can find a way to avoid it, really worth trying.

Jul 9, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #3,268 of 3,643
I always put the headphones on then glasses after with the arms resting on the pads. the lenses may be angled slightly but they work fine and more importantly the sound of the headphone isn't compromised. If you have the arms of your glasses under the pads you are breaking the seal and killing the bass so if you can find a way to avoid it, really worth trying.
This would be fine for some casual listening at home or what not but I'm not sure how well this would work during my commute or more importantly during my entire workday. My eyes get tired enough from looking at the monitor all day long. I couldn't imagine tilting my glasses the whole time (it really messes with astigmatism).

Any recommendations for a good over the ear headphones? Bose qc35 has mostly what I look for functionality-wise but I hear the sound isn't that great. Felt pretty comfortable when I tried them on, however. Oh, and no on/off for the ANC kind of sucks as well.

I'm thinking maybe Beoplay's H9. Seems like they are pretty comfortable (I imagine so if they are built anything like the H8) and have good sound quality. Also really dig the fact that you can turn on/off ANC. Thoughts?

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #3,269 of 3,643
This would be fine for some casual listening at home or what not but I'm not sure how well this would work during my commute or more importantly during my entire workday. My eyes get tired enough from looking at the monitor all day long. I couldn't imagine tilting my glasses the whole time (it really messes with astigmatism).

Any recommendations for a good over the ear headphones? Bose qc35 has mostly what I look for functionality-wise but I hear the sound isn't that great. Felt pretty comfortable when I tried them on, however. Oh, and no on/off for the ANC kind of sucks as well.

I'm thinking maybe Beoplay's H9. Seems like they are pretty comfortable (I imagine so if they are built anything like the H8) and have good sound quality. Also really dig the fact that you can turn on/off ANC. Thoughts?
Yes turning ANC on and off is a must for me as well. I misunderstood you, you aren't having the seal broken, this is purely a comfort issue. I'm wondering if you could wrap the ends of the arms in a thin padding that would alleviate some of the pressure. For me the H500BT is extremely comfortable where clamping force is concerned and as a rule I don't tend to like on ear for comfort. Hopefully you can get a discrete padding to place between the arms and your ears, that or you may just have to do trial and error until you can find a headphone with clamping pressure that works for you. Good luck, and sorry to not be very helpful.

Jul 9, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #3,270 of 3,643
Yes turning ANC on and off is a must for me as well. I misunderstood you, you aren't having the seal broken, this is purely a comfort issue. I'm wondering if you could wrap the ends of the arms in a thin padding that would alleviate some of the pressure. For me the H500BT is extremely comfortable where clamping force is concerned and as a rule I don't tend to like on ear for comfort. Hopefully you can get a discrete padding to place between the arms and your ears, that or you may just have to do trial and error until you can find a headphone with clamping pressure that works for you. Good luck, and sorry to not be very helpful.
I'm gonna see if I can check out the H9 at a B&O store. I'm not sure how helpful the padding would be. It sounds like a lot of hassle to do each time I want to use the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back