= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 22, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #17,716 of 21,171
Depends how you want to spin it...they would maintain it was meant and designed to be used balanced, but they included single ended for convenience if you were stuck at some point with only single ended cables. Otherwise it would be useless, but they'll tell you it has better sound (indeed, the single ended seems to only use half the amp) when used balanced, and that's how it's meant to be used. That's actually why I have balanced cables for some headphones (HEK particularly).
Balanced, while better within the LC, isn't automatically better than a different amp that is single ended, though. (we've been through this discussion before).

May 22, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #17,717 of 21,171
There must not have been any Cavalli amps the day all of the high end amps were "lined up" in your house and all of the blindfolded participants "preferred your Asgard", or such a question would not be posed.

May 23, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #17,718 of 21,171
There must not have been any Cavalli amps the day all of the high end amps were "lined up" in your house and all of the blindfolded participants "preferred your Asgard", or such a question would not be posed.
Perhaps they were they and you were not in attendance.

May 28, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #17,719 of 21,171
So I was looking for a pair of headphones which would offer me something a little different to the Nighthawks, which have been my only indoor cans of any mention. I noticed that Kalavere had a pair of HE-560's posted in the classifieds and decided that the purchase was worth the few weeks of beans on toast that would accompany my decision. A couple of messages later and I was the new proud owner. I would have liked to leave the guy positive feedback as they look mint to my eye, but I haven't posted enough on here yet?
Using the unbalanced output from my Oppo HA-1, I was struck firstly, by how much more "open" these were. Fortunately my listening never impinges on the rest of the household, so not an issue. The second thing was, the difference in sensitivity..ok, I was expecting these to be harder to drive, having read the reviews, but not to the point where I will be needing to make a balanced cable, to take advantage of the higher output of the HA-1 in that mode.

A couple of weeks back, I was having a bit of a sort out (rearrangement) in my music corner and came across my MF X-can V2, which hasn't seen any action, due to a lost power supply only recently replaced with a higher quality item. Hmmm? A bit of cable adjustment and I finished up with Mac mini to HA-1 via USB and then used the pre outs to feed the X-can. A very satisfying listen.
Not had a lot of time to play, due to an ear infection, meaning a skewed response in my left ear (bad timing or what?) I think this setup will remain until I manage to try the balanced cable.
Anyone else using either amps mentioned, with their 560's?

May 28, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #17,720 of 21,171
So I was looking for a pair of headphones which would offer me something a little different to the Nighthawks, which have been my only indoor cans of any mention. I noticed that Kalavere had a pair of HE-560's posted in the classifieds and decided that the purchase was worth the few weeks of beans on toast that would accompany my decision. A couple of messages later and I was the new proud owner. I would have liked to leave the guy positive feedback as they look mint to my eye, but I haven't posted enough on here yet?
Using the unbalanced output from my Oppo HA-1, I was struck firstly, by how much more "open" these were. Fortunately my listening never impinges on the rest of the household, so not an issue. The second thing was, the difference in sensitivity..ok, I was expecting these to be harder to drive, having read the reviews, but not to the point where I will be needing to make a balanced cable, to take advantage of the higher output of the HA-1 in that mode.

A couple of weeks back, I was having a bit of a sort out (rearrangement) in my music corner and came across my MF X-can V2, which hasn't seen any action, due to a lost power supply only recently replaced with a higher quality item. Hmmm? A bit of cable adjustment and I finished up with Mac mini to HA-1 via USB and then used the pre outs to feed the X-can. A very satisfying listen.
Not had a lot of time to play, due to an ear infection, meaning a skewed response in my left ear (bad timing or what?) I think this setup will remain until I manage to try the balanced cable.
Anyone else using either amps mentioned, with their 560's?

if anyone wants to take 560 to a another level look no further than burson v2+ it makes all your headphones sound way way way better than you are used to, comparable to what i used and you can find that in my personal info

560 is one of the great headphones that are really making the listening experience just amazing and it really scales up with poweful dac/amps like burson

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #17,721 of 21,171
Looks like you have had some fun along the way. Quite a collection, past and present! ☺
I find myself on a bit of an equipment plateau at the moment, insomuch as I can't afford another amp for a while and am thinking that my most cost effective way forward would be to build a balanced cable, allowing me to drive the 560's a little better?
I am also hoping to upgrade the X-can over the coming few months, just for fun (Rock Grotto mods). Longer term, finance permitting, I would like to find a complimentary valve amp for them.

May 29, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #17,722 of 21,171
So I've had the HE-560 for a while now, and have since attained some "higher" end gear.
I've gotta say, I haven't come across another headphone model that punches so far above it's weight yet (admittedly, I never gave the 400s a try)
Compared to the Ethers, these get you 90% of the way there for an even smaller percentage of the cost (especially used), with an even more versatile use case scenario.

I've found in gaming that the HE560's were better at dealing with imaging, despite the ether not having much problems with music, and to me, seeming like it has a larger dynamic range. I'm not sure why that is...

But I didn't even notice I found the clamping pressure uncomfortable until I got the Ethers, and went back the HE560s. And I'm also noticing I want a bit more warmth out of my amp for both cans. The Ether was supposed to be a replacement, but now I'm not so certain they will be. Maybe the upgrade to flow will change that, but so far, these Hifiman's are sticking to tough, and one hell of a value. I just wish I could get a similar pair of headphones with a bit more warmth, a bit more resolving, and a bit larger of a sound stage. I'd pay good money for that.

May 29, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #17,723 of 21,171
HE-1000 maybe? (I find it would fit your criteria...)

May 29, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #17,724 of 21,171
So I've had the HE-560 for a while now, and have since attained some "higher" end gear.
I've gotta say, I haven't come across another headphone model that punches so far above it's weight yet (admittedly, I never gave the 400s a try)
Compared to the Ethers, these get you 90% of the way there for an even smaller percentage of the cost (especially used), with an even more versatile use case scenario.

I've found in gaming that the HE560's were better at dealing with imaging, despite the ether not having much problems with music, and to me, seeming like it has a larger dynamic range. I'm not sure why that is...

But I didn't even notice I found the clamping pressure uncomfortable until I got the Ethers, and went back the HE560s. And I'm also noticing I want a bit more warmth out of my amp for both cans. The Ether was supposed to be a replacement, but now I'm not so certain they will be. Maybe the upgrade to flow will change that, but so far, these Hifiman's are sticking to tough, and one hell of a value. I just wish I could get a similar pair of headphones with a bit more warmth, a bit more resolving, and a bit larger of a sound stage. I'd pay good money for that.

If you want to keep your HE 560, you could shop around for a warm amp, like the Project Polaris from Garage1217. It's a versatile amp that powers both my HD 650 and HE 560 very well. Given its many configurable settings (gain, treble amount, impedance) this amp drives a lot of headphones pretty well. For my HE 560 I have mid gain, mid bandwidth (for treble) and low impedance. It sounds pretty sweet and warm.

May 29, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #17,725 of 21,171
If you want to keep your HE 560, you could shop around for a warm amp, like the Project Polaris from Garage1217. It's a versatile amp that powers both my HD 650 and HE 560 very well. Given its many configurable settings (gain, treble amount, impedance) this amp drives a lot of headphones pretty well. For my HE 560 I have mid gain, mid bandwidth (for treble) and low impedance. It sounds pretty sweet and warm.
I've thought about that, and the Violectric V200

May 30, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #17,726 of 21,171
There is quite a price disparity between the Polaris and V200. Thought the latter does have some good reviews out there. I have not heard it though.

The Gustard H10 might be an option as well. Some say it is a clone of the V100 (IIRC) Plenty of power, just a tad on the warm side, but can be had for a real good price on Massdrop or second hand.
It also allows the option of op-amp rolling if you are into that and want to tailor the sound a bit.

BTW, I have a project Polaris as well. I had it at work with a Stealth 1 as a dac for a good while. It did the 560 proud. I have been using the M9xx by Grace Designs at work lately. It is a nice size and has great functionality. It also does very nicely with the 560.

May 30, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #17,727 of 21,171
There is quite a price disparity between the Polaris and V200. Thought the latter does have some good reviews out there. I have not heard it though.

The Gustard H10 might be an option as well. Some say it is a clone of the V100 (IIRC) Plenty of power, just a tad on the warm side, but can be had for a real good price on Massdrop or second hand.
It also allows the option of op-amp rolling if you are into that and want to tailor the sound a bit.

BTW, I have a project Polaris as well. I had it at work with a Stealth 1 as a dac for a good while. It did the 560 proud. I have been using the M9xx by Grace Designs at work lately. It is a nice size and has great functionality. It also does very nicely with the 560.
Yeah, the v200 isn't kidding around with the price, but I do like the design, and I have tendency to buy several headphones that fill the same role, and A/B compare them for a while, which the two front headphone jacks will be great to work with. I'm also incredibly interest to hear what this "blackspace" sounds, or more the point doesn't sound like. Some of my headphones are particularly sensitive to background noise, hum, etc., and for science's sake, I'm curious if there really is a "clean" sounding amp.

May 30, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #17,728 of 21,171
OK. For the "sake of science" and seeing that it IS your budget, please get one and tell us all about it.:dt880smile:

But, I have to say, I have not noticed any perceptible noise at sane listening levels, with any of the three amps that I mentioned.

There is a Lake People amp on Massdrop now that is reportedly based on the V200.. It should go at around $700
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lake-people-hpa-rs-08
reviews that I found were pretty positive. You do lose the pretty design...

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #17,729 of 21,171
if anyone wants to take 560 to a another level look no further than burson v2+ it makes all your headphones sound way way way better than you are used to, comparable to what i used and you can find that in my personal info

560 is one of the great headphones that are really making the listening experience just amazing and it really scales up with poweful dac/amps like burson

I've had a similar experience with my Bryston BHA-1. The 560's are truly an amazing sounding headphone with the right gear.

I find it sad that even though I 'want' to upgrade and invest in another pair of HP's, I just can't.
Something must be wrong with me?!?

Mike

Jun 4, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #17,730 of 21,171
OK. For the "sake of science" and seeing that it IS your budget, please get one and tell us all about it.:dt880smile:

But, I have to say, I have not noticed any perceptible noise at sane listening levels, with any of the three amps that I mentioned.

There is a Lake People amp on Massdrop now that is reportedly based on the V200.. It should go at around $700
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lake-people-hpa-rs-08
reviews that I found were pretty positive. You do lose the pretty design...
I did, and I LOVE IT. There's a bit more presence in the bass, the vocals feel a bit more forward, and I think I'm hearing certain details for the first time, or at least they've been made more apparent to me. I have to say... I used to mainly use my HE-560's for gaming, but now, I duck out of gaming early to just listen to music..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back