Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jul 12, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #12,481 of 14,386
I ordered a pair of brainwavz hm5 angled foam pleather pu protein pads and a pair of hifiman's velour for de mounting ring. Lets see if they improove the sound like other's said. i have the 400i V2

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #12,482 of 14,386
I ordered a pair of brainwavz hm5 angled foam pleather pu protein pads and a pair of hifiman's velour for de mounting ring. Lets si if they improove the sound like other's said. i have the 400i V2
I have a pair in my cart on Amazon. When you get them report back on the sound quality with the HE-400i's. I have HE-400i V2's as well and I'll see if I shall hit the purchase button if it further improves the sound of these cans. Thanks!

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #12,484 of 14,386
They must arrive on friday. Im excited!!!
Hopefully they sound as good as other headfiers are describing because more bass is welcomed. That's the only thing I think these headphones are missing. Bass extension is there but they could use more bass weight and punch. Keep us posted when they arrive and you get them installed and have a listen.

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #12,485 of 14,386
Hopefully they sound as good as other headfiers are describing because more bass is welcomed. That's the only thing I think these headphones are missing. Bass extension is there but they could use more bass weight and punch. Keep us posted when they arrive and you get them installed and have a listen.

You might want to try this if you want more bass:
i-2nnmrQf-M.jpg

Got this from the THX00 thread, the attenuation ring (heavy weight paper) works with the Hifiman Focus pads quite well.

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #12,486 of 14,386
You might want to try this if you want more bass:
i-2nnmrQf-M.jpg

Got this from the THX00 thread, the attenuation ring (heavy weight paper) works with the Hifiman Focus pads quite well.
Nice, I think I will give that try. Also, was the cutout done with a template or freehand and are those the HM5 pads in the photo? They look thicker than the stock focus pads.

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #12,487 of 14,386
Nice, I think I will give that try. Also, was the cutout done with a template or freehand and are those the HM5 pads in the photo? They look thicker than the stock focus pads.
I got the picture from the THX00 thread, I think its the original THX00 pad. I just sketched out cut out the attenuation ring and cut it out and did some fine tuning of the fit since the heavy weight paper (hanging file) is easy to cut. A friend used some can goods to get a better 1/3 circle which I though was a great idea.

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #12,488 of 14,386
I keep being struck by how much my preference for a particular headphone depends on the recording I'm listening to. While in general I prefer the M1060 for movie watching, listening to the following binaural recording of a tour of Machu Picchu, I much preferred the HE-400i. I think it has to do with the fact that the M1060 takes things a little farther away while the 400i gives you a closer sound. The video is very much a first-person experience where the subject taking the tour is wearing microphones in his ears with the camera sitting on his head. You hear and see things from his perspective. In this case, the M1060 was unable to render the first-person experience effectively. (Recall that I reserved the right to occasionally make these comparisons of the 400i with the M1060 as being entirely appropriate to a 400i impressions thread when the point is to elucidate the 400i itself.)

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #12,489 of 14,386
just quickly, whats the bass like on these compared to the AKG k712?. i found the bass lacking on the K712 at first but after a year or so, ive become accustomed to it. everything else about the K712 i automatically like

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #12,490 of 14,386
just quickly, whats the bass like on these compared to the AKG k712?. i found the bass lacking on the K712 at first but after a year or so, ive become accustomed to it. everything else about the K712 i automatically like
I don't have a K712 but compared to my K7XX the HE400i goes lower, is cleaner in the highs and has a slightly better balanced from high to low. Another thing to consider is my HE400i is the older one with the back plate and has been modded so this comparison might not mean anything to you if you are thinking about the HE400i ver2 which does sound different from the original version.

Jul 14, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #12,491 of 14,386
I'm not sure if you can answer my question, but how is the shipping to Europe from Hifiman direct? The only shop in Germany sells the 400i at 450€. When Ordering direct it seems shipping to Germany is 46$. At the current price this makes the 400i 200€ cheaper when ordering from Hifiman directly online. Plus, that makes it the same price as the HD600 i was considering too.

Jul 14, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #12,492 of 14,386
I'm not sure if you can answer my question, but how is the shipping to Europe from Hifiman direct? The only shop in Germany sells the 400i at 450€. When Ordering direct it seems shipping to Germany is 46$. At the current price this makes the 400i 200€ cheaper when ordering from Hifiman directly online. Plus, that makes it the same price as the HD600 i was considering too.

I just ordered a HE560 from the Hifiman official eBay store and shipping to Norway was only $18. I expected a slow delivery which was fine since I'm on holiday for one more week anyway but to my surprise it was delivered by DHL in just two days after being shipped.

I'd imagine the same would be true for Germany but no promises :wink:

Jul 15, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #12,493 of 14,386
I have a pair in my cart on Amazon. When you get them report back on the sound quality with the HE-400i's. I have HE-400i V2's as well and I'll see if I shall hit the purchase button if it further improves the sound of these cans. Thanks!

They arrived. It wasnt easy to mount the ring but did it.
I have to say that i have not a lot of experience and i dont know what is a good sounding pair of headphones.
Definitly it sound diferent. I have to do more A/B comparations. They sound muddy coz the seal but more balanced, maybe.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #12,494 of 14,386
Had a question for anyone regarding the current sale on the HE-400i.

I've noticed that Amazon.com and a few other retailers in the U.S. and Canada are offering the 400i for deep discounts: from $249USD at Amazon.com and others, and anywhere from around $350CDN to $400CDN in Canada.

Is this a normal Hifiman periodic sale or should I be wary of this offering? I don't suspect anything in particular, it's just a huge discount from the normal price of approx. USD$499 or CDN$649.

Any insight appreciated!

Jul 15, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #12,495 of 14,386
Totally normal. That discount has been a frequent event and HiFiMan is currently doing a summer sale (which includes the 560).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back