Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jul 19, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #12,511 of 14,386
The cord is out on my beloved T1's (original version).

While I figure that out, I'm tempted to buy the 400i at the current price. I've been interested in planars for quite awhile, never have heard any. I like the description of these being detailed and neutral while also having great mids/vocals and a somewhat forward presentation. I don't care about them not having the widest sound stage or most bass (I always liked bass lean, tight, taut, and articulate over quantity or impact). I would use them for about every genre, but perhaps am looking for a little more "natural" or "smooth" sound for an alternative to the T1 for jazz, classical, and acoustic music. Not a relaxed or mellow sound, but something maybe richer in the mids or more mid centric without being overly warm or muddy/dark and maybe more "intimate".

So are the 400i's pretty close to what I'm looking for? Any other competitor at the price (I don't like Senns so no 600/650's for me). I will pair them with an Asgard 2 amp I have on the way.

I have both the T1 gen1, HE400i (older SMC version) and a Asgard2 amp, both headphones are good in their own way but I don't use the Asgard2 with them. I use a BH Crack with the T1 and usually use a Project Ember or Lyr2 with the HE400i. These days I've been using a custom built Nhoord Red V2 for jazz and acoustic, very dynamic, tight detailed bass and a very balanced FR. They are also very easy to drive so no additional amps needed.

Jul 19, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #12,512 of 14,386
I have T1.2's and also 400i, love listening to both of them

I'm really quite satisfied with the T1's which I find great all-rounders, but then they're going to need awhile for repair and I'm going to go crazy with a new amp on the way and (imo) less than adequate headphones (I have some old AKG 702's, Senn 595's, Grado 225i's, and, the best of all of these imo, Shure 940's that just can't compare to the T1's).

So I thought that given the price and consensus, and that I've always wanted to try this technology, it's hard to resist the HE 400i's for at least a stop-gap to try if not something I find I like for a different flavor (or different moods) compared to the T1's.

As far as Hifiman goes, I have HE-500, and HE400i cans. I used to have the HE-560's and although they were great they didn't appeal to my tastes as much as I wanted them to. I preferred the HE-500's. Recently I picked up the HE-400i's and am very pleased. Soundwise, it lays between the HE-500's and HE560's, which is what I want so I'm thrilled, not to mention the stellar improvement in comfort over the HE500. We each have different tastes as well as acoustic properties/heads so what I like, others may not. I also have a pair of HD600's in my collection, I prefer the my Hifimans to the HD600, the He-400i more so the HE-500 and I really like that Sennheiser. I carefully compared, by listening, the HD600 and HD650 and decided on the HD600 because of the mids, so you can see one aspect of the HE500 and HE400i that is important to me.

Thanks for the helpful comparisons.

I have both the T1 gen1, HE400i (older SMC version) and a Asgard2 amp, both headphones are good in their own way but I don't use the Asgard2 with them. I use a BH Crack with the T1 and usually use a Project Ember or Lyr2 with the HE400i. These days I've been using a custom built Nhoord Red V2 for jazz and acoustic, very dynamic, tight detailed bass and a very balanced FR. They are also very easy to drive so no additional amps needed.

Do you use these amps because you feel the T1 or HE 400i can get too "hot" in the highs? For me that's not a problem, and I've heard the Asgard is a bit warm for a solid state anyway (I recently purchased the Vali 2 but I don't like messing with tubes and felt it was "hard/glassy" in the highs with my T1's; it was replacing a Marantz HD DAC that stopped working after our office building was struck by lightning!).

Thanks everyone for the feedback; I'm pretty set on the HE 400i's, I'm just trying to find more justification for yet another pair of cans! :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #12,513 of 14,386
@PoSR77 , I like the T1 on the BH Crack because it gives a better overall tone and a more balanced FR. I only heard the Vali2 once but it had Amperex SQ tubes which paired very nice with the HD700 and K7XX that the owner had. I use my Asgard2 in my bedroom with a HE400 (modded), MDR-7506 or SR225e (modded).

If you feel like doing some mods to your SR225i they can be transformed with some dynamat in the cups, sorbothane (or dynamat) on the back of the driver magnet, open 2 vents, and change to cheap G pads ($4-6) from ebay.

I used the Ember or Lyr2 for the HE400i since those are the amps in my listening area but its not bad on the Asgard2 either, just remember that my HE400i are the older ones with the SMC connectors and the back plate so the sound signature is slightly different, slightly warmer and the bass goes a small bit lower from comparisons to 2 newer model HE400i with the 2.5mm jacks.

Jul 20, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #12,514 of 14,386
Thanks again for the good info DavidA.

Ok, well I ordered them! Should be here by mid next week (my Asgard 2 will be here Sat).

I'll let you know what I think; hope I enjoy them! :)

Jul 20, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #12,515 of 14,386
Thanks again for the good info DavidA.

Ok, well I ordered them! Should be here by mid next week (my Asgard 2 will be here Sat).

I'll let you know what I think; hope I enjoy them! :)
I also have an Asgard 2, I prefer SS and this is an excellent Amp, I expect that you will enjoy your new toys. My HE-400i's agree.

Jul 20, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #12,516 of 14,386
I watched a couple review videos on youtube and "warm" sounding amps were recommended with these. One even specifically mentioned the Asgard 2 as a great match.

Also, I stumbled across this; I know it's not doing justice to the sound in a multitude of ways, but WOW if these HE 400i's sound 1/2 as good as they do in this video, then they may even contend with my T1's (maybe those will take a long time to get fixed ha).

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #12,517 of 14,386
@PoSR77 , if you look closely those are the older HE400i with the SMC connectors, the same as the one I have which do sound a little different from the new ones with the 2.5mm jacks. I've also modded mine with sorbothane in the cups, grill mod (not really needed with the newer ones since the back plate is no longer there) and a small attenuation ring in the ear pads so my HE400i is a bit different sounding from a stock one but it still doesn't get to the T1 level of details and sound stage to me. The HE400i at the current price of $250 is about as good a deal out there and hard not to recommend.

Jul 20, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #12,518 of 14,386
hi everyone just went for the 400i from hifiman eBay and i am excited to hear them out although they were not my main aim for a first Planar CAN. I was after the Audeze alu cans for 3 days on the classes but had none prior deals and that made me a risk I guess.
so after I lost the chance to get my no1 on the list, I went for my second planar on the list which looks almost just as good and hopefully sounds great, I have read good things on this thread about the 400i and still reading about on them ( great thread by the way).
I also ordered a pair of HM5 just in case I need to slightly modify the sound cos I do like a slightly warm sound and that is why they were 2nd on list cos I read a lot about the bright side that many talks about.
but with the sale is a no brainer, to be honest ... now is the waiting game.

Jul 20, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #12,519 of 14,386
@candysound , I think you will enjoy the HE400i and while they are not as warm as the LCD-2f, they are not that bright either but it also depends on what your previous headphones were. Since you mentioned you got some HM5 pads did you also get some spare mounting rings? If not you will have to rip apart the stock focus pads since the rings are glued in to the Focus pads. If you get the velour hifiman pads the rings from them are not glued in so its easy to remove the mounting rings

Jul 20, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #12,520 of 14,386
@candysound , I think you will enjoy the HE400i and while they are not as warm as the LCD-2f, they are not that bright either but it also depends on what your previous headphones were. Since you mentioned you got some HM5 pads did you also get some spare mounting rings? If not you will have to rip apart the stock focus pads since the rings are glued into the Focus pads. If you get the velour hifiman pads the rings from them are not glued in so it's easy to remove the mounting rings

No, i did not get the rings :frowning2:, eh now I just have to wait and see then before i will order the rings cos maybe I will not need them.
about my cans, nothing really high end (yet) cos I still consider my self as a hi-fi - speaker guy but I always liked that personal headphone sound. I have a Sennheiser momentum and an Akg k240 ( which I do not particularly like ) don't get me wrong is a good detailed can for what it is but I do like a bit more bass.. my buddy has the thx00 and it sounds amazing , I do prefer a bit more mids but man it's a fun sound to just immerse my self in.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #12,521 of 14,386
No, i did not get the rings :frowning2:, eh now I just have to wait and see then I will order the rings cos maybe I will not need them.
about my cans, nothing really high end (yet) cos I still consider my self as a hi-fi - speaker guy but I always liked that personal headphone sound. I have a Sennheiser momentum and an Akg k240 ( which I do not particularly like ) don't get me wrong is a good detailed can for what it is but I do like a bit more bass.. my buddy has the thx00 and it sounds amazing , I do prefer a bit more mids but man it's a fun sound to just immerse my self in.

If you liked the THX00 then the HE400i might sound a little bass lite to you. I had a THX00 but after comparing it to my TH600 the THX00 was not as detailed and the I think it was due to the ear pads of the THX00 not fitting me well. You might also want to try a attenuation ring in the ear pads of the HE400i before trying the HM5 pads, I posted a picture a few pages back and the attenuation ring really helps the bass.

Jul 20, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #12,522 of 14,386
If you liked the THX00 then the HE400i might sound a little bass lite to you. I had a THX00 but after comparing it to my TH600 the THX00 was not as detailed and the I think it was due to the ear pads of the THX00 not fitting me well. You might also want to try a attenuation ring in the ear pads of the HE400i before trying the HM5 pads, I posted a picture a few pages back and the attenuation ring really helps the bass.
i also find the thx00 lacking a bit of detail next to akg (not to much tho for me) and yes i really do like its bass , is so deep and is not really exagerated... about the 400i bass i knew it did not have the impact of the x00 but i read it extends quite deep aswell (maybe not as full), i will try out your mod for sure once they are here.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #12,524 of 14,386
@PoSR77 , if you look closely those are the older HE400i with the SMC connectors, the same as the one I have which do sound a little different from the new ones with the 2.5mm jacks. I've also modded mine with sorbothane in the cups, grill mod (not really needed with the newer ones since the back plate is no longer there) and a small attenuation ring in the ear pads so my HE400i is a bit different sounding from a stock one but it still doesn't get to the T1 level of details and sound stage to me. The HE400i at the current price of $250 is about as good a deal out there and hard not to recommend.

Let me qualify my assertion a bit: what I really meant was that it may be the case that the HE 400i may do things in some areas (vocals/mids especially) better, or different but just as enjoyable, or even preferable for some forms of music, than my T1's. But the T1's will technically, as well as overall, be the better headphone. I don't see getting rid of them anytime soon; in fact, after I got them and the HD DAC1 I was satisfied enough to end my headphone/amp research and buying for a good while except for a bit of looking at new models out of curiosity. Especially as I do most of my headphone listening in the office and not at home. (Then my HD DAC 1 got fried by lightening as I mentioned, and my cord on the T1's went out just a week ago--not sure if I pulled it too hard somehow or something else happened).

I will say that I'm very impressed with the sound of the HE 400i even through that thoroughly imperfect video demonstration above. I should get them early next week; hope they will be a nice complement to the T1's, something to enjoy while I get those fixed, or even keep due to their own merits long after the T1's are fixed. At the least, I'll have finally tried the planar technology out.

Jul 21, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #12,525 of 14,386
@PoSR77 , you have a great plan of action, I wish I was as disciplined when I was starting out. You are correct that the HE400i will do some things better than the T1, vocals is one of them IMO. Sorry to here about problems with your T1, one of the first things I did was install mini-XLR jacks so I could inter change cables with my LCD-2 and DT-990 premium, its a bit of work but worth it in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back