Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jul 7, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #12,466 of 14,386
Hi guys

I have a question about a replacement cable for HE-400i. I've experienced a slight static shock from the replacement cable. Is it normal? I've ordered this replacement cable from the Chinese brand who have a very good reputation on making the earbuds. The quality is very very good and the price is beyond reasonable. It a 8-wire braided Silver plated cable. I love it. But there's a static shock. It's not a lot, but I can feel it. I do try to switch back to the stock cable, and there is no static shock. Is it normal to have this with the replacement cable? Can I still use this replacement cable or will it ruin the diaphragm in a long run?

If you can find a HE-1K V2 cable go for it. I tried the balanced cable that came with mine and I was surprised at how good they worked with my HE-400i's. The balanced cable improved everything the HE-400i's does well including the bass.

Jul 7, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #12,467 of 14,386
Hi guys

I have a question about a replacement cable for HE-400i. I've experienced a slight static shock from the replacement cable. Is it normal? I've ordered this replacement cable from the Chinese brand who have a very good reputation on making the earbuds. The quality is very very good and the price is beyond reasonable. It a 8-wire braided Silver plated cable. I love it. But there's a static shock. It's not a lot, but I can feel it. I do try to switch back to the stock cable, and there is no static shock. Is it normal to have this with the replacement cable? Can I still use this replacement cable or will it ruin the diaphragm in a long run?

All it means is that the surface of the replacement cable is more prone to pickup static electricity than the stock cable. I don't know it the small static shocks will damage the driver but I wouldn't take the chance. You might want to try some an anti-static spray to see if it helps.

Jul 8, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #12,468 of 14,386
I could reduce every frequency by 5dB and then have the possibility of reducing the bass by 3-4dB... But then wouldn't that reduce the bit depth? Grr... Will have to test!
If you drop the overall volume by 6 dB and then compensate from your amplifier gain, you're effectively raising the noise floor by 6 dB (lowering the bit depth by 1). For a modern 16-bit stream created with noise-shaped dithering the digital noise floor is a good 112 dB below the signal, maybe more. With the 6 dB change you're moving it up to no more than -106 dBFS. Assuming you're not turning that music up to ear-bleeding levels, if you can hear noise at -106 dB, I commend you for your residential anechoic chamber design that you probably have set up in your basement. :p

Jul 8, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #12,469 of 14,386
I have to say, that with the HM5 Pleather Angled Memory Foam Pad upgrade, and the EQ I posted to use with that upgrade, this headphone is a stunner for sound quality now. Everything is exactly as it should be, and extremely balanced throughout the frequencies. I highly suggest those pads, combined with this EQ set to anyone here who wants to improve the sound of this headphone. It is miles better than stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-An...8&qid=1499555924&sr=8-2&keywords=hm5+pleather

200Hz: - 0.5
250Hz: - 0.5
400Hz: - 1.0
500Hz: - 3.5
650Hz: - 1.0
800Hz: - 1.0
1kHz: - 1.5
10kHz: - 0.5

Edit: The procedure for the upgrade is on the previous page, 831.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #12,471 of 14,386
Searching cables hours on end. I'm having trouble finding a 3m cable for the he400i. Hd700 connectors seem to work which broadens the list but still cant find anything that doesnt cost half the price of the headphones.
3m cables are hard to find but there are a few for under $100 out there, they may not be the best quality but if cost is an issue you don't have many choices. The cost in parts alone using Mogami cable, Neutrik 1/4", a carbon fiber splitter, HD700 jacks, and paracord sleeve is about $58 so if you can solder you could build your own.

Jul 10, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #12,472 of 14,386
Jul 10, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #12,474 of 14,386
i am going to buy my first planers, i am torn between he 400 and he400i, what should i get?

400i. No contest. The 400s isn't even cheaper most of the time.

Jul 10, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #12,476 of 14,386
Yes. Quite well, actually. I use the X-Bass on my Black Label with them most of the time, and they they respond well. Bass is increased noticeably, everything is a bit fuller, still very controlled, and they do not distort. The same goes for the software EQ on my DP-X1 DAP and through Foobar2000 EQ on my computer (although software EQ can have its own issues if not done well). With the extra bass, they actually get into the realm of too much bass for some music. I haven't pushed the bass bump past 6db, but I'd imagine they can go 10db more bass before you'll notice distortion. That's speculation on my part, of course. If you want to be even more sure, look into some earpad options. Leather or pleather versions will up the bass a bit without having to worry about EQ.

Jul 10, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #12,477 of 14,386
Yes. Quite well, actually. I use the X-Bass on my Black Label with them most of the time, and they they respond well. Bass is increased noticeably, everything is a bit fuller, still very controlled, and they do not distort. The same goes for the software EQ on my DP-X1 DAP and through Foobar2000 EQ on my computer (although software EQ can have its own issues if not done well). With the extra bass, they actually get into the realm of too much bass for some music. I haven't pushed the bass bump past 6db, but I'd imagine they can go 10db more bass before you'll notice distortion. That's speculation on my part, of course. If you want to be even more sure, look into some earpad options. Leather or pleather versions will up the bass a bit without having to worry about EQ.
good to know, thanks

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #12,478 of 14,386
i am going to buy my first planers, i am torn between he 400 and he400i, what should i get?
Depends on the price and the sound signature that you are looking for.

Used HE400 go for quite cheap but they need to be modded to really sound good IMO, but with the right mods they are really good and will take almost any crazy EQ.

Another thing to consider is the version of the HE400i: if buying new then they will be the ver2 with 2.5mm jacks, if buying used or re-furb then they might be the ver1 which I think are a little better than the ver2.

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #12,480 of 14,386
Hi. What to look out for when buying a used pair? any common symptoms i should look out for?
A private seller has the 2.5mm model with all original inclusions but no sales invoice/receipt.

Things I would look for: condition of ear pads, fit of connector and if you can listen to them, no rattles or buzzing sounds and since on invoice/receipt then a price under $200 since new ones go for $250

Users who are viewing this thread

Back