Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 27, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #7,696 of 12,302
Welp, my budget isn't quite up there yet. I know the HD800 is very picky, but I've heard the ZMF headphones are more forgiving. I may end up with the Atticus if this is true at first as I still need a proper amp. I'm running what I have through the Xonar Essence STX. I plan on snatching the LD MK2 or Project Solstice as a holdover then move on to something better later on. If the Atticus is more forgiving to the equipment used, that would likely be my first purchase.
While the HD800 sounds worse on non-matching equipment than the Atticus does, I'd say they both benefit from pairing with intention. Things is, those headphones are on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as headphone sounds go. If you want something in between that's less picky than either, try the Eikon.

May 27, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #7,697 of 12,302
Welp, my budget isn't quite up there yet. I know the HD800 is very picky, but I've heard the ZMF headphones are more forgiving. I may end up with the Atticus if this is true at first as I still need a proper amp. I'm running what I have through the Xonar Essence STX. I plan on snatching the LD MK2 or Project Solstice as a holdover then move on to something better later on. If the Atticus is more forgiving to the equipment used, that would likely be my first purchase.

That's correct, Atticus is definitely the more forgiving of the two. Yeah, I'm still saving up for that upgrade myself - I went all-in on my solid state Milo and recabling my system toward the end of last year, so as much as I want to grab a CSP3 myself, I haven't had the cash. I did pick up a used Solstice though, to fill my occasional tube jones, and it does a beautiful job.

May 27, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #7,698 of 12,302
Less than six months ago I bought a brand new in box HE-6.
Tonite the left channel just died.:triportsad:

This is going to be interesting to see how Upscale Audio is going to handle this,and how HiFiMan will handle it...A new,but discontinued product failing after a short time.

Not pleased.
Buy plenty of tubes from Upscale, they should take care of you proper.

EDIT: I see you are, sadly, at the mercy of HifiMan. Sigh.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #7,700 of 12,302
I've been busy listening to the Sennheiser HD1 Bluetooth IEM. Check out my review if you have a minute - this is my first on HeadFi, and it would be great to get some exposure.

Next will probably be an AEON review - that headphone is dope!

Thanks!

Good write-up!

Just one note, I'm also writing about them, but to me they feel like they have a very good top end, energetic and clear rather than smooth (?)

May 28, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #7,702 of 12,302
After many listens, I think it's great for metal with the right gear. I'd definitely recommend a thick, robust sounding amp with big bass -like the Cavalli Liquid Crimson/Glass/Gold - to pair with it; and the DanaCable Lazuli Reference if you're looking to max out the impact and body from the cable.

It would be pretty tough to beat that setup, IMO.

thx man, hmm this is tempting, like many members, I've been thinking of getting an open headphone for when the situation calls for it, well, I only have a mojo and an LC for now, which is quite a warm setup already, I guess it could work.

I checked out the Danacable Lazuli, earlier. this is definitely a bit too expensive for me on cables, they do look nice though.

May 28, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #7,703 of 12,302
thx man, hmm this is tempting, like many members, I've been thinking of getting an open headphone for when the situation calls for it, well, I only have a mojo and an LC for now, which is quite a warm setup already, I guess it could work.

I checked out the Danacable Lazuli, earlier. this is definitely a bit too expensive for me on cables, they do look nice though.

Well, as I'm sure you know, the Carbon and Crimson are based on the same circuit - I've owned both and they are very similar in terms of tonal balance, so you ought to be satisfied at least for a while w/o the need for an immediate upgrade.

My initial impressions of the headphone where on the Crimson with the stock cable and I was definitely satisfied with the low end - so I don't think you'll be the least bit disappointed, even if there still is room to grow. Those Utopia impressions are linked near the bottom of my profile page (though you may have read them already).

May 28, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #7,704 of 12,302
Hmmm... Let me revisit that tomorrow. I need to see which tracks I felt sounded rolled-off in the treble.

Sure! I'm curious what you find out! The thing is that I don't have HD1 but Momentum In-Ear Wireless, but they should be the same IEM as far as I know. On the one I hear, the treble is not one bit rolled off but rather energetic and lively. Maybe Momentum In Ear wireless BT is not the same as HD1 (?)

May 30, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #7,707 of 12,302
Which part of it should be updated? You can ask direct advice here if you're looking for a certain headphone or such
Oh, just all the new headphones that have come out in the recent years. Stuff like the focal elear, the oppo pm-1, the Koss ESP-950. There's probably a couple others I'm forgetting, but those are ones I'd like to see info for.

May 30, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #7,709 of 12,302
Just a headsup,theres a pair of HE6s in the classifieds right now for 650.00!:cold_sweat:
No affiliation,and im not vouching...just one helluva deal!

May 30, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #7,710 of 12,302
Just a headsup,theres a pair of HE6s in the classifieds right now for 650.00!:cold_sweat:
No affiliation,and im not vouching...just one helluva deal!

Wow, barely up for 2 hours and sold. HFM should just bring these back. They are more popular now than they ever were when they were in production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back