Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 24, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #3,873 of 20,602
i gave the utopia another listen last week and again was very impressed. I've tried most of the totl cans currently in production and the utopia is the one that i would choose if i were prepared to part with that much coin for a headphone.
I'm looking at mine on the shelf now, it's nice when you can own it and just put them on when your in the mood and just lose yourself in the music, it's a purchase you won't regret

Jun 26, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #3,874 of 20,602
It's hard for me to even describe how impressed I am with these Utopia. It's unlike any listening experience I've ever had. This has been my first foray into "grown up headphones" and it's been astonishing to say the least. When I was deciding on which headphones to begin with I got SO MANY "Focal Utopia are best" vs. "Sennheiser H800S are best" that I just had to see for myself. So I got a pair of each. Well, I have to tell you that my experience is that there is really no contest. IMHO there is just so much more weight, body, musicality, interest, involvement, everything! The only nod I can give the H800S is that so far they might be just a tiny bit more comfortable. Not that the Utopia are "uncomfortable", they are just a bit heavier. But NOTHING about that aspect would cause me to chose to listen to the H800S's over the Utopia. With both pair on stock cables the Utopia win hands down. Being a FIRM believer in the magic of cables and cords, I wasn't about to jump into this adventure without an upgrade cable. I chose to go with Double Helix. With the Utopia on a Double Helix cable they win hands down even MORE, by a large margin. IMO the Double Helix is an improvement not insignificant over the stock cable. The only fair test that I have not given the H800S is a ride on the Double Helix cable, so I've ordered a Double Helix Ultrashort adapter for it. I'll bring it back to Brasil the next time I come. But I fear the outcome is going to be much the same. Does that make me a Utopia fanboy? Yup, looks like it.

HeadphoneRig%20-%202017_06-26_005_zps2zwvwo5u.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #3,875 of 20,602
^ Congrats!

I was using my Utopias last night (Benchmark DAC 3 HGC --> GS-X Mk2 --> Dana Cables Lanzuli Reference Utopia Cables balanced) with Miles Davis' "Tutu" and it just didn't get any better than that!

Jun 26, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #3,876 of 20,602
It's hard for me to even describe how impressed I am with these Utopia. It's unlike any listening experience I've ever had. This has been my first foray into "grown up headphones" and it's been astonishing to say the least. When I was deciding on which headphones to begin with I got SO MANY "Focal Utopia are best" vs. "Sennheiser H800S are best" that I just had to see for myself. So I got a pair of each.
Go big or go home, I love it! :gs1000smile:

Jun 27, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #3,877 of 20,602
IMG_7196.JPG
I go from "Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus" to Korn with the Utopia/Dave pairing ha simply excellent. I think the beginning of "Shoots and Ladders" sounds unbelievable with the Utopia's. When it comes to music, variety is the spice of life friends.

I love how much meat on the bone the Utopia can give harder rock. Full bodied sound

Jun 27, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #3,878 of 20,602

I go from "Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus" to Korn with the Utopia/Dave pairing ha simply excellent. I think the beginning of "Shoots and Ladders" sounds unbelievable with the Utopia's. When it comes to music, variety is the spice of life friends.

I love how much meat on the bone the Utopia can give harder rock. Full bodied sound

quite right indeed,
and even more so with metal,
try out Manowar's Warrior of the world or Amon Amrath's Deceiver of the Gods...
see some past impressions of mine here :
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/f...ents-head-fi-tv.811270/page-311#post-13307939

Jun 27, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #3,879 of 20,602
quite right indeed,
see some past impressions of mine here :
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/f...ents-head-fi-tv.811270/page-311#post-13307939
Hey I thought you said you liked metal? :) ok all joking aside, thank you for sending me that link. I am always up for new music, and metal is a genre that is so diverse.... So I like learning which kinds of metal I enjoy. I also agree with you in the post about how it's a great Metal headphone... Now I want to listen to "My Curse" on the Utopia's now....

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #3,880 of 20,602
Joining the Utopia club! (Also I didn't end up going with @MTMECraig because of geographic differences (I ended up finding a store nearer to me) but he was a pleasure! Would have gone with him if I lived elsewhere.)

Anyway, I had them already for a week from thecablecompany to borrow and I just couldn't say goodbye. Currently have a WA7 duo and Cayin iDac-6, but am planning to move up to a Schiit Yggdrasil and Eddie Current Aficionado. (If you can somehow get me those Craig I'm 100% open, but I don't think either company does anything but first party sales.

Regardless I'm super pumped!

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #3,881 of 20,602
Joining the Utopia club! (Also I didn't end up going with @MTMECraig because of geographic differences (I ended up finding a store nearer to me) but he was a pleasure! Would have gone with him if I lived elsewhere.

Anyway, I had them already for a week from thecablecompany to borrow and I just couldn't say goodbye. Currently have a WA7 duo and Cayin iDac-6, but am planning to move up to a Schiit Yggdrasil and Eddie Current Aficionado. (If you can somehow get me those Craig I'm 100% open, but I don't think either company does anything but first party sales.

Regardless I'm super pumped!

Congrats!!

Jun 27, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #3,882 of 20,602
Hey I thought you said you liked metal? :) ok all joking aside, thank you for sending me that link. I am always up for new music, and metal is a genre that is so diverse.... So I like learning which kinds of metal I enjoy. I also agree with you in the post about how it's a great Metal headphone... Now I want to listen to "My Curse" on the Utopia's now....
Listening to that song right now. \m/ (o.o) \m/

Jun 27, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #3,883 of 20,602
quite right indeed,

Dystopia - Hands that Mold scratched the metal itch for me recently. I dig Amon Amarth. I also enjoyed Aversions Crown - Overseer :)

Edit: One More: DJ Shadow - Nobody Speak (Feat Run the Jewels) hahahaha

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #3,884 of 20,602
Dystopia - Hands that Mold scratched the metal itch for me recently. I dig Amon Amarth. I also enjoyed Aversions Crown - Overseer :)

Edit: One More: DJ Shadow - Nobody Speak (Feat Run the Jewels) hahahaha
That whole album by DJ Dhadow should be super silly on the Utopia.... I forgot about it till now. Good suggestion! Just start it from the beginning ha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back