Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 23, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #3,286 of 20,624
Would the Hugo 2 as a front end be a good choice to pair with the Utopia without a dedicated amp in the chain and if this is a good DAC pairing and if a amp is needed, what are your first three choices for auditioning under 10k?
Obviously not heard the hugo 2 but 2 qute, Hugo,Hugo TT and I think a top streamer going into it,I would rather spend on a quality headphone amp as well,I really don't think I'm hearing everything my utopias can do until I can afford the Dave,my dealers have said that the focal utopia headphones sound even better when Dave is in the chain so that shows how revealing the utopias really are, you wouldn't feed Grande utopia speakers anything other than the best hi-fi kit going through them,so why would the focal utopia headphones be any different

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #3,287 of 20,624
Would the Hugo 2 as a front end be a good choice to pair with the Utopia without a dedicated amp in the chain and if this is a good DAC pairing and if a amp is needed, what are your first three choices for auditioning under 10k?

The Hugo2 would definitely have enough power (both Current and Voltage) and the output impedance is very low at 0.025 Ohms so drive ability is not an issue at all with the Utopia. The 4 filters may have you covered for tonal preferences but few have reported on how effective they are. For an amp, if desired, that's a matter of taste but one would not be necessary.

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #3,288 of 20,624
The Hugo2 would definitely have enough power (both Current and Voltage) and the output impedance is very low at 0.025 Ohms so drive ability is not an issue at all with the Utopia. The 4 filters may have you covered for tonal preferences but few have reported on how effective they are. For an amp, if desired, that's a matter of taste but one would not be necessary.

Ok sounds like a good pairing. Thanks.

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #3,289 of 20,624
It's not just having the power to drive the focal utopias it's about the quality of components used and only in my opinion that's were a high quality dedicated amp comes into play

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #3,290 of 20,624

I think hearing is believing, will you be able to demo the Hugo 2 at some point? Also like others have said a big thing will be wether you like the pairing tonally. The synergy of the Utopia and Hugo 2 will be decided, but I am betting it's solid. But once again personal opinion. Like someone else said I think the biggest thing would be to get quality components first since the Utopia is easier to drive. Other then that I think your sound preferences make the biggest impact on your decision since you have a nice budget to work with. There are a ton of options from that standpoint that would be great with the Utopia, due to amp power not being an immiediate necessity.

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #3,291 of 20,624
I'm not aware of any other headphones that use the Lemo connector.

The connectors are $20-$30 each. A 4-pin balanced connector is $4. Decent cable (mogami quad) is less than $1 per foot. Fancier cable is maybe $1-$3/foot (times at lest 4). A decent cable should cost that much to make. I made a 16 strand copper cable for under $100 and about 6 hours of labor.

Thanks!

I am certainly not capable of re cabling myself, or building them from scratch.

So, if somebody can suggest where where to get Utopia cables from, would be great.

There is always that eBay seller that does all kind of cables, including the Utopia cables for $200 + shipping.

On another note, does anybody here uses Utopia with Mjolnir 2?

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #3,292 of 20,624
I did this in a couple of minutes to the stock cable. Can easily be put back to 1/4".

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #3,293 of 20,624
I did this in a couple of minutes to the stock cable. Can easily be put back to 1/4".

Look who popped in :wink:

Did you see my PM. Just a few minutes ago.

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #3,294 of 20,624
It's not just having the power to drive the focal utopias it's about the quality of components used and only in my opinion that's were a high quality dedicated amp comes into play

An age old argument I really don't want to hash over again. The Hugo2 has phenomenal specs, measurably better than any stand alone amp I've seen, and the quality of components should be top notch. There is more than enough power from the Hugo2 to make you deaf 10x over with the Utopia and it should sound good while doing it. If you like an extra amp great, but it shouldn't be strictly necessary for quality sound.

If someone asks if the Hugo2 will power the Utopia the answer is yes, easily. No one can really say how well it pairs as the units haven't been released yet, but based on early reports, and my experience with the DAVE, the Hugo2 should match great IMO (if they share similar qualities). When the Hugo2 is released I'm sure we'll see reports of how it actually sounds with the Utopia.

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #3,295 of 20,624
An age old argument I really don't want to hash over again. The Hugo2 has phenomenal specs, measurably better than any stand alone amp I've seen, and the quality of components should be top notch. There is more than enough power from the Hugo2 to make you deaf 10x over with the Utopia and it should sound good while doing it. If you like an extra amp great, but it shouldn't be strictly necessary for quality sound.

If someone asks if the Hugo2 will power the Utopia the answer is yes, easily. No one can really say how well it pairs as the units haven't been released yet, but based on early reports, and my experience with the DAVE, the Hugo2 should match great IMO (if they share similar qualities). When the Hugo2 is released I'm sure we'll see reports of how it actually sounds with the Utopia.
I agree I'm sure it will sound good with Hugo 2,but my trilogy amp sounds far superior than the one in the hugo and my dealer prefers it to the amp in the Dave so each to their own, I recommend not just looking at specs and go demo for yourself,think ppl will be pleasantly surprised

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #3,296 of 20,624
I'm not aware of any other headphones that use the Lemo connector.

The connectors are $20-$30 each. A 4-pin balanced connector is $4. Decent cable (mogami quad) is less than $1 per foot. Fancier cable is maybe $1-$3/foot (times at lest 4). A decent cable should cost that much to make. I made a 16 strand copper cable for under $100 and about 6 hours of labor.

Thanks!

I am certainly not capable of re cabling myself, or building them from scratch.

So, if somebody can suggest where where to get Utopia cables from, would be great.

There is always that eBay seller that does all kind of cables, including the Utopia cables for $200 + shipping.

On another note, does anybody here uses Utopia with Mjolnir 2?

Anyone that makes cables should be able to make a utopia cable. I'd be happy to make you one for the cost of parts and shipping, we can discuss in in PM if you are interested.

I just got a Mj2. It only has the stock tubes (better tubes on order). I think it pairs much better with the utopia than the Taurus II. To me, the big difference is heard with vocals. the Mj2 presents vocals smoother and more natural. With the Taurus, there is a little bite to the vocals that if rounds out with the Mj2.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #3,297 of 20,624
[Mod comment]

Just snipped about 20-30 posts - if any of your own posts are missing, its because they either replied to or quoted a post(s) which had been moderated, or were off topic.  I could have issued a warning to all who came under this category, but it would have served little purpose.  A reminder about the rules. 

• Its OK to discuss HD800(s) vs Utopia, as long as you respect each posters opinion - even if it differs to your own.  This is a subjective hobby, and respect is required.
  • If you see a trolling or offensive post - don't respond, report it (then I don't have to spend half an hour nuking 20-30 posts)
  • If you reply and personally attack another member - you are going to get a formal warning.  Just because you might be responding to someone you think is trolling, you have no right (on this forum) to abuse them.
  • Please keep it on topic.

I've just removed one poster's access - would prefer not to encroach any further.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #3,300 of 20,624
What's the safest way to access the serial number under the earpad?

First, do not attempt this while swimming or in a bathtub filled with water!

Remove the right earcup and read the serial number, then put the right earcup back on.

To remove the earcup, gently pry it off by putting your finger inside the ear cup and pulling gently. It will snap offf ( The ear cup, not your finger)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back