Fiio x5 vs Ibasso dx90
May 13, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #421 of 446
@reelDeal,
I believe when the DAC is used it bypasses the amp section or you would be couple amping causing a clipping sound. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
As for your second question I have all the things you mentioned and if I would have bought the HA2 first having listened to the X5 or DX90 I would have stuck with the HA2. The HA2 sounds incredible with my iPhone 5s and Spotify.

May 13, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #422 of 446
  A couple general questions... When a DAP is used as an external usb dac, is the amp section still active? 

Also, does anyone have thoughts, or better, experience on the difference (mainly sound quality) between a DAP like the DX90 or X5 compared to a portable amp/dac (like the Oppo HA-2) using a MacBook Pro and/or Android phone as the source? 

Thanks!

I've got the X1, the X3 and the DX90 as far as my DAPs go and I've got the HA-2 DAC as well.  To me...the SQ is very similar coming out of my MacBook Pro 13" Retina between the DX90 and HA-2...I've had so many issues w/ my current Android phone (S6) that I can't give any opinion on that as I'm just using headphone out to the amp (obviously the HA-2 is the only one that can use USB OTG).  

I haven't fired up the X3 as of yet to compare.  I really can barely tell the difference as I find the HA-2 and the DX90 share a lot of similarities sound wise.  The DX90 appears to be a bit more forward and a bit more accurate overall, but that certainly doesn't mean the HA-2 isn't great in and of itself...just a slightly warmer sound to my ears.  I'm using GR07s and the Oppo PM-3s as my headphones.  I really don't think you can go wrong with either.  I like the versatility of the HA-2 tho...being that i can use it with all of my devices...but from a pure sound standpoint, I think the DX90 wins.

May 13, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #423 of 446
A couple general questions... When a DAP is used as an external usb dac, is the amp section still active? 

.................... [snip]

Yes. the order goes from source file to decoder to DAC to amp (to headphones) or line out (to an external amp). So using it as a USB DAC just uses the computer as the source instead of the mSD card.

The benefit is you can use your computer software and much larger storage to feed the unit in USB DAC mode. The downside is you may pick up unwanted computer noise.

May 14, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #425 of 446
I saw in another thread, you were (are) very fond of the JDS Labs C5D. How does it compare to the Oppo?

I love both. However the size, the volume knob and the versatility w Android and iOS made me sell the C5D in favor of the HA-2. I do however think the C5D sounds slightly better. The bass boosts are a little more isolated instead of affecting the whole sound spectrum. I just use the Oppo with it off and all is well. So both are great for different reasons. For my usage the Oppo fits a bit better.

Jun 18, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #426 of 446
I read this whole thread still confused to choose one..:neutral_face:
Someone pls tell me after at least 600 hours of burning which one sounds more detailed naturally with pleasing vocals and completeness in instrument definition
Regarding ss I like precise one with realistic imaging rather more wide ss making details harder to perceive..
Note I have hd598,449 and vsonic vsd1 le. I hate type of sound from android kernel which jus less realistic with more ss wr mids and highs r like mixed almost. I love vsonic sound signature ..Does dx90 has taste of the general android kernel?
Which one suits my taste? It'll be helpful fr me to make a decision based on the answers ..Thank u ppl...sorry for my english:grin:

Jun 18, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #427 of 446
my friend has ibasso dx90 and compared it carefully with fiio x5
the ibasso is a better choise for u.
i have fiio x3 2nd generation that sounds like x5
ibasso dx90 has a more natural sound than fiio ,like in the concert hall,
but fiio has a studio like signature ,like professional sound cards.
butt the differences are not very large and maybe subjective.
also u can buy fiio x3 2nd that sounds very very near to x5 with money saving.
it worked for me and i am pleased with that.

Jun 18, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #428 of 446
my friend has ibasso dx90 and compared it carefully with fiio x5
the ibasso is a better choise for u.
i have fiio x3 2nd generation that sounds like x5
ibasso dx90 has a more natural sound than fiio ,like in the concert hall,
but fiio has a studio like signature ,like professional sound cards.
butt the differences are not very large and maybe subjective.
also u can buy fiio x3 2nd that sounds very very near to x5 with money saving.
it worked for me and i am pleased with that.

Thanks for ur reply.Good to know that ur happy with x3.. As u say dx90 is more suitable for my sound preference I give more priority to it right now.. But I'm gonna buy it after 2-3months only so ill also be waiting for other comments too since I live in place wr trying out both daps before buying is impossible :grin:

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #429 of 446
I read this whole thread still confused to choose one..:neutral_face:
Someone pls tell me after at least 600 hours of burning which one sounds more detailed naturally with pleasing vocals and completeness in instrument definition
Regarding ss I like precise one with realistic imaging rather more wide ss making details harder to perceive..
Note I have hd598,449 and vsonic vsd1 le. I hate type of sound from android kernel which jus less realistic with more ss wr mids and highs r like mixed almost. I love vsonic sound signature ..Does dx90 has taste of the general android kernel?
Which one suits my taste? It'll be helpful fr me to make a decision based on the answers ..Thank u ppl...sorry for my english:grin:

From what you said above and the headphones you have i think the X5 is more suited for you. I think the X5 has way better separation than the DX90 but the Dx90 is very enjoyable to listen to! I own both and have had Both for a long time and have no intentions of getting rid of either one. I like the DX90 with bassier headphones and the X5 with brigter headphones.

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #430 of 446
From what you said above and the headphones you have i think the X5 is more suited for you. I think the X5 has way better separation than the DX90 but the Dx90 is very enjoyable to listen to! I own both and have had Both for a long time and have no intentions of getting rid of either one. I like the DX90 with bassier headphones and the X5 with brigter headphones.
thank you this will be very helpful to me :blush:

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #433 of 446
Anyone here happens to like classical, jazz, vocals and experience with both players to recommend one over the other? Will be using with Ety ER4. Thanks!

Before fw 2.3, I would say iBasso for jazz, vocals, X5 for rock. But 2.3 is !more forward and closes the gap on rock.

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #435 of 446
Are screen protectors a must for the DX90? Does the screen scratch easily?

To this day, I still have the screen protector that came on my DX90!  Yup, the one that says "DX90 iBasso Audio" and has all of the labels for the different functions on the touchscreen...

I just never saw the need to remove it.  And the two spares that came with it are still fresh as new in the DX90 box!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back