FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
May 8, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #6,572 of 7,088
I've recently bought a second-hand Fiio X5ii which appears to be in perfect condition, but which won't reliably read memory cards formatted on other machines AND (more worryingly) won't format memory cards itself.

I've done many tests, including the following very simple test. Before I ask the seller for a refund, can anyone see anything I might be doing wrong?

* Restore factory defaults.

* Insert a known good SD card which the seller included with the player.

* Format the card.

* Connect the player to a computer via USB. The player's screen says "USB connected."

* The device isn't seen on the computer.

* Insert a different known good card that was formatted elsewhere (I don't remember where).

* That shows up on the computer, so the USB connection is working. I can copy music files onto it over USB.

* Disconnect the player from the computer.

* Choose Browse Files.

* No files show up on EITHER card.

Thank you for any advice!
Are you file browsing or using the category method? Files won't show up in category view unless you update the media library.

May 8, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #6,573 of 7,088
X5ii has proven to be an excellent, versatile device that will do any role it needs to do! From being my main DAP to being the DAC in my stack and even to transport, X5ii has proven to take the test of time and pass it very well!

5cdpjIr.jpg

May 8, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #6,575 of 7,088
Good question, but I've tested both (including updating the media library). Even file browsing doesn't work.
If the card is formatted correctly then they should show in file browser regardless of updating the media library. Only other things I could suggest is to reset the library first, next update the media library again, then restore factory settings, and finally update the fw again. If none of those do it, then I would see if you can return it. Weird issue to say the least. Good luck.

May 9, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #6,576 of 7,088
Finally got Dunu DN-2000!
Since a lot of posters have x5 II Dunu combination, I'd need some advice.
I hardly succeeded to find correct tip, that suited me on earphones. What
works is red plus silver ring and biggest double silicone. My ear canals
are not wide, but, strangely, none of smaller tips suit me. No bass. I assume
you mostly use other tips. What would be suggestions?
Further, again, I found player in need for 60-70 volume. On x3 I added A3
in between dac and etymotic hf5. Not bad solution. I tried again without and
etys sound weak. I will try out x5 -> a3->dunu when I come back home. What
is opinion on this?
I expected a lot more of dunu, but it obviously needs other tips for a ride.
Best regards all.

May 9, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #6,577 of 7,088
If the card is formatted correctly then they should show in file browser regardless of updating the media library. Only other things I could suggest is to reset the library first, next update the media library again, then restore factory settings, and finally update the fw again. If none of those do it, then I would see if you can return it. Weird issue to say the least. Good luck.

Thanks! I can't update the fw though, at least not using the recommended method, because it won't format cards. I will try to return it (to the seller, not to Fiio, because I got it second-hand).

May 9, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #6,578 of 7,088
Thank you for the reply! It's great that you post here.

Yes, tried those things (see above for the negative results).

I do have a card reader, and I checked, and the songs were not copied successfully.

I can't do that, because my X5II won't format a card.

And also it's already on the latest firmware ... what I meant by saying that I can't update it is that I can't write over it (because I can't format a card), just in case the problem is corrupted firmware.

Dear tumble,

If you copy the songs to the card reader directly, and insert the card to the X5II, can the X5II read the songs from browse files?

Both the TF card slot 1 and 2 having the same issue?

You may format the card to FAT32 in your computer using this software:https://www.dropbox.com/s/359hnf44wn3udtk/guiformat.exe?dl=0

Have you tired a factory restore as well?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 9, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #6,579 of 7,088
May 15, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #6,580 of 7,088
Hello .. I have a new X5 II A few days ago..all Well, but the version of Update of A version 2.1 I stopped reading DSD Files (dff.dsf.etc) .. They tried to do everything possible to solve it. . Changes to Other firmware But nothing works..IWill be a codec problem ?? I hope for your help since I can only listen to Flac .. thanks

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #6,581 of 7,088
Hello .. I have a new X5 II A few days ago..all Well, but the version of Update of A version 2.1 I stopped reading DSD Files (dff.dsf.etc) .. They tried to do everything possible to solve it. . Changes to Other firmware But nothing works..IWill be a codec problem ?? I hope for your help since I can only listen to Flac .. thanks

Hm... Maybe something went wrong in the update process.

Can you try reverting to the last one and updating again?

Alternatively, you can try one of the custom FWs which are faster and should also have the full functionality!

May 15, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #6,583 of 7,088
De Hola .. Tengo un nuevo X5 II UNOS Días ago..all Bien, Pero la versión de Actualización De Una versión 2.1 Que dejo de leer Archivos DSD (dff.dsf.etc) .. Que trataron de Hacer Todo Lo Posible para solucionarlo. . Cambios a Otro firmware Pero nada works..I espero que me ayuda un Ayudar y Solo puedo escuchar Flac .. gracias
[Quote = "Dobrescu George, de la publicación: 13492932, miembro de: 170938"] Hm ... Tal vez algo salió mal en el proceso de actualización.

Se puede tratar de revertir el último y actualizar de nuevo?

Como alternativa, puede probar uno de los FWs personalizados que son más rápidos y también debe tener la completa funcionalidad! [/ Quote]
Gracias por su pronta respuesta .. Realmente lo aprecio .. Lo he probado con todo el FW y nada .. de hecho ahora descargar una versión lite de un post que aparece en este foro y se mantiene igual

Any chance you can post that in English? Sorry, but I honestly don't know Spanish well enough to read it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back