FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Apr 19, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #6,541 of 7,088
I think I may have found a fix, actually. There's a setting called "play through folder" which I turned off and then tried fast fowarding to the end of a song at the bottom of a folder, it stopped. 

That's really amazing how many hidden tricks this thing has. Just when you think you're screwed, because it has some unbearable flaw, you find some way that the developers worked around it.

Holding the top left button brings up browse by alphabet letter. Going into the settings to turn on gapless playback, turning off play through folders, the light weight firmware, etc.

There's so many weird little tricks about this thing which are not apparent at all. It's amazing that it has them though. I still don't know what a low pass filter is. I think I read up on it and it said that it's for picking up quieter frequency sounds, or something? I have no idea.

Anyways, this is a pretty amazing little player. Not seemless and as easy to use as an ipod, but a great thing with great features. I'd take this thing over my old ipod any day, that's not even to mention it's flac capability and 2 micro sd card expansion slots (the main reason I got it in the first place).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ohauce9nym0mtyn/X5%20(2nd%20gen)%20Complete%20User%20Manual.pdf?dl=0
Here's a link to download the complete used manual:

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #6,543 of 7,088
Strange. I did a ctrl-f to find what lowpass filter is, and it wasn't in the instruction manual. It didn't show results for low+pass+filter, or lowpass+filter, or just filter, or just pass. Strange.

I wonder if this thing came with a manual... I did buy it new. I should go dig it up. 

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #6,544 of 7,088
Strange. I did a ctrl-f to find what lowpass filter is, and it wasn't in the instruction manual. It didn't show results for low+pass+filter, or lowpass+filter, or just filter, or just pass. Strange.

I wonder if this thing came with a manual... I did buy it new. I should go dig it up. 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the filters have more to do with frequency roll off. I have mine set to sharp as that was recommended by other members back when FiiO implemented them. I've tried the other filters, but TBH I don't hear much difference between them and this probably has more to do with me than the DAP. Off the top of my head, I can't remember if the filters affect the highs, mids, lows, or all of them so I'm really the wrong person to give too much info on the subject...lol

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #6,546 of 7,088
The lowpass lets frequencies below the cutoff pass :)
It applies a falloff to the frequencies above that cutoff value.
This can be 24dB/octave (sharp) or a mere 3dB/octave.

I guess the cutoff is set rather high on the FiiO but I don't see the purpose..

What if I want to use it to feed my Magnat plasma tweeter?

Should it conserve battery power?

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #6,548 of 7,088
  After the price drops that I've seen I finally picked up a X5II.
Light firmware seems like a must do, and heat is to be expected. Anything else noteworthy for a first time owner?

Hold down the top left button on the face of the fiio to access the browse by alphabet letter, the one with the 3 lines. Hold down the upper left button (the same 3 line button) and hold down the power button at the same time, simultaneously to update the firmware, but before doing that, simply copy paste the lightweight firmware file into the first sd card slot. Just put it directly into the folder. Turn off browse by folder if you're going to listen to music out of the file browser (otherwise it will keep playing the next song in the next folder instead of stopping at the end of the album). Turn on gapless playback (otherwise there will be a small rest in between each song). Don't forget to format your micro sd card BEFORE you put music on them. It will run a 200gb micro sd and probably higher, as long as you format it. You can find the formatting option in the settings somewhere on the bottom (you'll find it in the gear icon). Hold down the return button (the upper right button on the face of the fiio with the arrow) to go back to the menu screen on the fiio. You can turn the wheel when you click the volume button on the side to raise and lower the volume faster, but it only works when the screen is on.

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #6,549 of 7,088
Hey guys! I have HD6XX & K7XX. Can this drive any one of those without an additional amp?

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #6,551 of 7,088
Depends on how loud you want to go.
My 250 ohm Beyer 990 go way louder than would be healthy.

Good to hear that. I don't want my music to be too loud. I just want it to be presented without distortion. I guess you do not hear any distortion and are happy with your setup.

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #6,552 of 7,088
Hey guys! I have HD6XX & K7XX. Can this drive any one of those without an additional amp?

My HD800 sounds OK directly from the X5ii but not as full as when using a big desktop amp.

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #6,555 of 7,088
Well, listening at home in a silent environment with a massively oversized amp will always sound better, I guess... /Irony

Oh, I'm actually using iFi iDSD BL with FiiO X5ii and while portable 
gs1000.gif

My listening habits are almost half done while out and about, I love being out with my music and them FiiO and iFi and Meze and Sennheiser creating great tools for us to enjoy music while outside helps a lot with this 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back