dt990 rattling, calling beyer experts :)
Jan 30, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never said distorting. Can't you find anyone with a more powerful amp in Canada? If your problem has now been manifested on the other side - that shoots the hair theory completely out of the water.

...i don't understand your logic, on the contrary if at first it was only one driver then the other start rattling it should blow the amp theory out of the water...

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #32 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by luidge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...i don't understand your logic, on the contrary if at first it was only one driver then the other start rattling it should blow the amp theory out of the water...

Bushguy is right here - if it was a hair in left driver, it is going to stay in left no matter what you do. Good & quick check is to swap L and R channels on amp side. If after swap the right driver rattles - then the fault "travels" with the channel not with the driver - rendering theory of hair/foreign object in the driver useless. Does that make sense?

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #33 of 53
As a last resort I must conclude the one nut under the headband must be loose... Good luck obtaining the "special tool"
tongue.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #34 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a last resort I must conclude the one nut under the headband must be loose... Good luck obtaining the "special tool"
tongue.gif

The DT990pro has a nut under the headband? When I took mine apart, it didn't have any nuts.....
Hm.............................. I'm confused
confused.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #35 of 53
yea i dont see any nut, and it could possibly be a hair but i'm just really surprised it somehow found its way in there, because when i opened it was totally clean, i mean i've only had these for 2 months and i take good care, even if a see a tiny hair on the headpads i removed them. mysteries mysteries

edit: lol hifi

Jan 30, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #36 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT990pro has a nut under the headband? When I took mine apart, it didn't have any nuts.....
Hm.............................. I'm confused
confused.gif

I was joking... Shahrose is the loose nut under his headband, was the joke
tongue.gif

But seriously, I would suspect multiple hairs on both drivers or his amp clipping.....As has been said...

Jan 30, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #37 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lad27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bushguy is right here - if it was a hair in left driver, it is going to stay in left no matter what you do. Good & quick check is to swap L and R channels on amp side. If after swap the right driver rattles - then the fault "travels" with the channel not with the driver - rendering theory of hair/foreign object in the driver useless. Does that make sense?

i tried it out of my receiver and the left driver still rattles, so i don't know (only on really bass heavy tracks/bass sweeps where there is no other ambient noise other than the bass) very very little rattling occurs in the right driver, hardly noticeable even at high volumes. but the left one is noticeable.

so i guess my options now are either 1) warranty replacement, or 2) live with it, or 3) try my hand at removing the hair from inside the driver

im afraid of damaging the phones if i try anything stupid like opening the driver all the way

warranty replacement - hope to god my friend finds the receipt
and living with it - meh, i guess but it would suck on some recordings.

Jan 30, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #38 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was joking... Shahrose is the loose nut under his headband, was the joke
tongue.gif

Oh my goodness, How did I miss that joke!!!!!
tongue.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #39 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i tried it out of my receiver and the left driver still rattles, so i don't know (only on really bass heavy tracks/bass sweeps where there is no other ambient noise other than the bass) very very little rattling occurs in the right driver, hardly noticeable even at high volumes. but the left one is noticeable.

so i guess my options now are either 1) warranty replacement, or 2) live with it, or 3) try my hand at removing the hair from inside the driver

im afraid of damaging the phones if i try anything stupid like opening the driver all the way

warranty replacement - hope to god my friend finds the receipt
and living with it - meh, i guess but it would suck on some recordings.

Well sure, for peace of mind, get it replaced under warranty...

Best of luck~

/And sorry Towert7, I'm tired and getting silly ;-}

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #40 of 53
I know this thread is a bit old, but this happened to a newly acquired pair of Darths. I guess it's really problematic esp. with DT770's in general.

Another solution and what worked for me, is actually getting to the guts of the thing, all the way to the transducer and taking a car of air to it. Angle it a bit side-ways and give it a good few puffs. Also keep a good distance, don't get too close as the air is pretty pressurized and may damage the driver, so just be careful of that. It worked like a charm for me. I was worried these new Darths were Kaput already
frown.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #41 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, already took the pics, so might as well just post them for other's to see.

Yea, you should contact beyerdynamic and see what they recommend.
apart1.jpg

apart2.jpg

The green thing is that little slot I was talking about, and the blue spots are a good place to pry the ring off.

I've been doing a lot of pad rolling on my DT880s of recent... Once you've gotten this far, why not take a moment to listen to the cans without any earpads? I can tell you that the DT880s are mighty detailed like this. Unfortunately, they're not very comfortable and when you take them off the two sides bang together like cymbals but it's an interesting experience.
icon10.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #42 of 53
Ah! I’ve been having the exact same problem with my 990s for the last couple of months in the right hand side. I read this thread and took them apart (again) just to see if I could see a hair or something inside. I ended up taking them completely to bits, basically taking the drivers out of the larger white ring, stripping them totally down until the really thin driver film is exposed.
Playing music through them like this sounded fine, so I put them back in the protective metal mesh cover part, but the rattle returned. After much playing of different bass frequencies at different volumes with the driver in different positions, I came to the conclusion that the rattling happened when something was touching the thin film on the driver (equivalent of the speaker cone I guess). Basically, the metal dome protecting this had been pushed in at one point, so instead of being a dome outwards it was essentially a dome inwards. Hard to describe, if you look at the thing then it’s easy to see what I’m talking about. I popped this back outwards (easily, with one finger), and put the phones back together. They sound as sweet as ever now, thanks guys 
Anyone else having this same problem should definitely look at the metal grill part, or check if there is anything at all touching the cone. To get them apart as far as I did I had to take off the foam padding, the thin foam circles to expose the drivers, as in the photos. Then prise this ring out, and then prise the drivers out of the thicker white ring surrounding them (carefully cutting off the soft glue holding them together).
If anyone needs a hand, or doesn’t get what I’m talking about then reply here or PM me.
Many thanks, Mat.

Jun 20, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #43 of 53
I've just recently been getting a rattle in the left cup of my DT990 2005.
I opened up the left cup a couple of times and looked for hairs etc. as suggested, to no avail.

I finally noticed that giggling with the cable at the place where it enters the left cup would sometimes reduce the apparent driver rattle for a while.

Took the left cup apart again, and made sure that the small wires that come in and attach to the driver terminals were not crossed or touching each other.
If you push the cable into the cup, a metal cable cover will pop out allowing you to freely rorate the cable until the wires are as straight as possible. Just pull it back into the rubber grommet to secure again.

Problem solved - no more rattle effect in my left cup!
Looks like my rattle probably wasn't in the driver itself, but the small wires vibrating against each other. I can now enjoy my Infected Mushroom CD's again!

Feb 16, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #44 of 53

Had this problem five minutes ago and a year back.

The first time I just opened the cans and removed the hairs like described earlier. Actually had one of the elements die on me for a while however after blowing whit my mouth pressed against the element it thankfully started up again (this idea came out of desperation).

I now know what happened to make the element stop playing and I'm absolutely certain that my problem came from hairs. The reason is that this time simply removing the hairs I saw did not remove the problem. I was so annoyed by this that figuring that the white cover was probably not important for the audio quality, but that it was simply there for stopping hair to get to the element I got to work and cut and tore it away (not all of it just the parts covering the elements). low and behold... hair. The material Baeyer use as their membranes seam to actually be adhesive to hair... I'm not kidding. I had to use pincers to remove the hairs and when I puled on the hairs he membrane followed until the hair popped lose, and yes there was a pop when the hairs loosened. I actually managed to pull the membrane so far that it didn't go back to its original position, however by blowing on it it popped back. As I did before.

I did not actually get all of the hairs but now there is no more buzzing and rattling at low frequencies. I can't hear any other difference except no more buzzing.

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #45 of 53

Hi there,

Sorry for posting to an old thread, but I just had to say thank you! I've had the same "rattling" issue before on my DT990:s, but it was always resolved by removing the hair that got through.

Last time though, removing the hair from the cover didn't help, and without finding this thread on google I would have bought a new pair of headphones. While I was cleaning the drivers membrane I took some pictures, so I could share it with people who have this problem also.

The pictures are quite large, so here is a link to them with a short "guide" on how to clean your DT990 driver:
http://beyer.turpo.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back