Double Helix Cables Thread
Feb 22, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #1,216 of 2,056
Just received my Prion 4 today for my Utopia and all I can say is WOWWWW Peter has outdone himself with this cable. I have both the Prion 4 and Kimber Axios AG for my Utopia and for those still waiting for your cable be patient I promise it is more than worth the wait.

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #1,218 of 2,056
Hearing about such long wait times for Double Helix cables these days, I feel rather lucky. I purchased both of mine years ago before the uptick in demand on a whim as I was just starting to get into trying different cables. I got one for the LCDs and one for HD800, and received them only a month or two after ordering.

Can't imagine listening to my LCD cans in particular without the Double Helix cable. Nothing else I have tried remotely compares. However, I haven't tried much more expensive solutions yet, so maybe some crazy super high-end stuff would be even better...maybe. But for now, the Double Helix opens up the LCDs too much to not be used every time I reach for them. It's pretty much a night and day difference, to my ears, between this and the stock, or other cables I have tried. 

Only regret not having gotten the absolute top of the line available at that time, seeing how long it takes to get one now. Not interested in ordering again, as indefinitely long wait times drive me crazy.

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #1,219 of 2,056
Just received my Prion 4 today for my Utopia and all I can say is WOWWWW Peter has outdone himself with this cable. I have both the Prion 4 and Kimber Axios AG for my Utopia and for those still waiting for your cable be patient I promise it is more than worth the wait.

what I wanna know, too... when did you place the order? thanks.

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #1,221 of 2,056
  How does it sound?

It sounded great, but I decided to sell it.  I ended up putting the stock cable back on after a few days to hear the difference.  The stock cable has more air, soundstage space and slightly more micro detail, and I listen to alot of classical and jazz so that's essential to me.  The stock cable's mix of silver/copper is probably why.  While the Molecule sounded meatier and a bit more lively, it took away some things the HD800 excels at probably because of the pure copper design.

I'm pretty sure DHC has a copper/silver cable, but the long wait times are a turn off for me.  I was able to get the Molecule on the classifieds.

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #1,222 of 2,056

It sounded great, but I decided to sell it.  I ended up putting the stock cable back on after a few days to hear the difference.  The stock cable has more air, soundstage space and slightly more micro detail, and I listen to alot of classical and jazz so that's essential to me.  The stock cable's mix of silver/copper is probably why.  While the Molecule sounded meatier and a bit more lively, it took away some things the HD800 excels at probably because of the pure copper design.

I'm pretty sure DHC has a copper/silver cable, but the long wait times are a turn off for me.  I was able to get the Molecule on the classifieds.

Please careful with SPC cable. I tried the DHC SPC cable (entry level), it sounds great (transparent, detail, air) but more forward and a bit more aggressive than stock cable.

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #1,224 of 2,056

Is that against the stock cable?
Any burn-in time?

Please elaborate:wink::p

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #1,225 of 2,056
Have you received your Prion yet?

Yes, I received mine after a longish wait, and I do not regret spending rather a lot of money on this cable. Peter at DHC is a great guy to deal with and the workmanship on the cable is top-notch.

The Prion did need some running in, quite a bit really (I think) before it reached its peak. You can never be too sure about this with all the other variables, e.g. system tweaks, mains quality and possible brain burn-in, and also the fact that I got a bad cold at about the same time I received the Prion.

I'll post again shortly with more comments after I've found the time to compare once more with the stock cable, and also with the HD800-terminated Black Dragon, which the adapters I got with the Prion now allow me to use with the Utopia. I can also compare the Prion with the Silver Dragon on my HE1000 (thanks to another set of DHC adapters) just for a comparison with another silver cable.

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #1,226 of 2,056
I found prion 4 got more interesting after a bunch of hours. I dunno the science of it. Compliment 4 is also a fine cable, both beat the stock hd800S in proximity, separation, detail. But as my prion 4 running via gsx mk2 and my compliment 4 running se direct to TT, I cant say if one is better than the other. Different systems different voltage. But prion 4 is a sweet detail cable tho.

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #1,227 of 2,056
The prion 4 sonically is much better than the stock cable much more detailed and images much more pronounced. Burn in time hmmmmmm I have not noticed any difference with the hours I have put into it but recalling sounds from memory for myself is extremely difficult all I can say is using it I truly enjoy the music much more and just purchased another Prion 4 from Peter this past weekend.

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #1,228 of 2,056
The prion 4 sonically is much better than the stock cable much more detailed and images much more pronounced. Burn in time hmmmmmm I have not noticed any difference with the hours I have put into it but recalling sounds from memory for myself is extremely difficult all I can say is using it I truly enjoy the music much more and just purchased another Prion 4 from Peter this past weekend.

Some of us have asked you when did you order your Prion 4, and no respond yet from you.
Now, I feel like Peter has some customers with some privilege based on Prion 4 ordering over some less money items.
Smell like some lawsuits to DHC.

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #1,230 of 2,056
I would not have responded 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back