Double Helix Cables Thread
Mar 26, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #1,247 of 2,056
Hi, what's the effect of using a adapter with different kind of cable on headphone? I'm interested in your adapter to use one cable on multiple headphones, but I have both copper and silver based cable, which adapter should I pick then? thanks. 

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #1,248 of 2,056
I use short adapters across multiple headphones and since these are direct adapters, I don't hear any loss in sound quality

Mar 26, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #1,250 of 2,056
I use short adapters across multiple headphones and since these are direct adapters, I don't hear any loss in sound quality

Oh I just saw that! Thanks!

Is there any down side of it? Ergonomically?

Not that much of a penalty to me as it allows for a lot of flexibility, since I owned quite a few different headphones.

For some connectors (e.g. Utopia's LEMO plug) the adapter can be slightly longer that I would have like but that's something inherent and nothing much you can do about it anyway.

FWIW (except for a few cables which are dedicated for certain headphones) I've always purchased cables with the Audeze's mini XLR connectors as it is a very robust connector and the plugs are relatively short itself.

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #1,251 of 2,056
Quick blurb and some pics. Thanks peter for the SP V3 type 4 litz 8 braid for my new noble encore. First some picks with the groovy satchel for comparison to stock. 

So did one A/B test, worried about the two pin to give any more back and forth, as I did with prion 4 and stock for my hd800S, post purchase test.  Going from iMac 5k 384 fr 32 bit > audio quest jitterbug > audio quest cinnamon modified for Hugo> chord hugo> DHC sp v3 8 braid> noble encore. 
Yup another sonic discovery of fullness meets closeness. it brought out bass and mids a bit, which i am very happy with. Listened to a dozen well recorded tunes from different genres and really enjoying the new team and rig. Thanks peter. Use this primarily as a portable iPhone 7 plus 256 gig to cck to hugo, but tested as such still grooving 

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #1,252 of 2,056
ote:
  Quick blurb and some pics. Thanks peter for the SP V3 type 4 litz 8 braid for my new noble encore. First some picks with the groovy satchel for comparison to stock. 

So did one A/B test, worried about the two pin to give any more back and forth, as I did with prion 4 and stock for my hd800S, post purchase test.  Going from iMac 5k 384 fr 32 bit > audio quest jitterbug > audio quest cinnamon modified for Hugo> chord hugo> DHC sp v3 8 braid> noble encore. 
Yup another sonic discovery of fullness meets closeness. it brought out bass and mids a bit, which i am very happy with. Listened to a dozen well recorded tunes from different genres and really enjoying the new team and rig. Thanks peter. Use this primarily as a portable iPhone 7 plus 256 gig to cck to hugo, but tested as such still grooving 

Very cool! Thanks for the post.

Just a couple questions if you have time...

Did you get balanced connector on cable?

If you just received this from Double Helix, how long was it from ordered to received cable?

Very nice cable, though. Your description of the sound quality makes me even more eager to receive mine... though mine is only for the 4 wire version. Should be ready soon!

Also... just noticed... Double Helix Cables has their new website up and running.

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #1,253 of 2,056
No balance, i use my noble exclusively through chord hugo. hd800S prion 4 is balanced tho. it took 4 months and a bit.  

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #1,254 of 2,056
  No balance, i use my noble exclusively through chord hugo. hd800S prion 4 is balanced tho. it took 4 months and a bit.  

​Thanks. Yeah, I didn't order balanced either. Had been pondering changing to balanced, as I recently started using an iBasso DX200. But from my experience in pro audio... balanced was designed to limit noise in long cable runs. So as long as the equipment is designed correctly... unbalanced output on something as short as a headphone cable should not be a huge difference in sound quality. Plus... I kinda wanna be able to use the cable on normal single ended headphone outputs like my Benchmark DAC2 DX without needing a converter cable.

So mine will hopefully be ready soon, as I'm just a couple days shy of 5 months since I placed the order!

Thanks again. Enjoy the new addition to your set up. Looks (and I'm sure sounds) stellar!

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #1,255 of 2,056
I would typically go with a balanced configuration and get an adapter to convert it to SE because you can't go the other way around.  That way you have the capability to use both in case you ever want to use it on both type of amps..

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #1,256 of 2,056
I've received a nice Prion4 cable for my Utopia headphones recently. It's configured with XLR 3-pin (Xhadow) and without the Spore shielding option. I was afraid it'd be too rigid. Not sure it would be, though, since I also received a Prion4S interconnect with the beautiful Klei RCA plugs, and it's not much stiffer to be honest. :)

I connected the RCA between my DAC and headphone amp, because the Analog DAC just doesn't like balanced. Bit of a shame since the headphone amp is balanced, but oh well. It does sound better using RCA out, I tried it before.

These two replaced an old silver-copper hybrid a friend of mine made, and the stock cable on the Utopia.

So, my first impression is that the cable is really light. It's a pleasure in use, it flexes and flows naturally when I move around. There is zero microphony, if I tap the cable nothing happens. Great stuff.

Build-wise they look great, the braiding is flawless as far as I could see. I really like how flexible and light they are too! The connectors I picked are the best you can get - in particular the Klei RCA plugs are very sexy.. Xhadow XLRs have served me well for many years - never had an issue with them. Looks great too.

It sounded fine right out of the box, although not mind-blowing. They do like some burn-in, I noticed considerable improvement after about 100 hours. That's not me listening, I kept it playing around the clock for a couple of days and each time I put the phones on, I noticed it had opened up a bit more.

The sound is just effortless. I cannot hear any coloration, it feels really transparent. The soundstage is noticeably larger than the stock cable; the Prion just opens everything up. That's exactly what the Utopia needs, so in that sense it's definitely a perfect match. Pretty much in every other sense too. Everything is there. Details, air, punch, PRaT, blackness - yeah pretty much any hifi parameter I can think of.

I sincerely doubt I'll ever have to get another headphone cable - this one's a keeper. And so is the Utopia.

Delivery time for my order was just over 2 months, which means I was lucky. Maybe it was because I ordered only Prion cables - they have a separate work queue for Prions I was told.

In closing, I'm really glad I found this thread and all the fans on this forum. I'd never heard of DHC before, and I'm happy that's not the case anymore. :)

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #1,257 of 2,056
  Delivery time for my order was just over 2 months, which means I was lucky. Maybe it was because I ordered only Prion cables - they have a separate work queue for Prions I was told.

Nice! Sounds like a great cable...

But it really does highlight there is no real "queue", if different cables and/or priced products are getting priority in the "queue". I've had my order in for silver IEM cable for over 5 months now. At least I still get communication when I email about it every once in awhile. But I've been told it should be ready in a few weeks for the last 2 months. Then 2+ weeks ago, it should be "next" week. Now in the 3rd week after getting this "estimate".

While I'm sure the cable will be worth the wait, and I'll be glad to get it (when/if I get it)... I seriously doubt I'll get another. Especially now that I know the "queue" doesn't really exist... or at least is being manipulated in some way. There are many other high quality silver cables available now, much quicker. And while I understand it is an "artisan" cable of high quality... it really is just cable assembly in the end. I've had a custom built guitar made from raw blocks of wood in less time.

I'll listen once I get it and then make a decision if the cost and unknown wait time is worth ever buying another DHC. But the sound quality will have to be well above the Silver Dragon I purchased to hold me over during the wait... or I won't be getting another. In fact, I also purchased new silver XLR cables for my studio monitoring in the time since I placed the order for the DHC silver IEM cable... and have been using them for months now. I seriously wanted to get the Double Helix version... but since the wait time is pretty much open ended, and I hadn't received any additional communication from DHC about it... I went with something I could buy and put into use in a reasonable amount of time.

Still waiting... 5 months + now.

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #1,258 of 2,056

Nice! Sounds like a great cable...

But it really does highlight there is no real "queue", if different cables and/or priced products are getting priority in the "queue". I've had my order in for silver IEM cable for over 5 months now. At least I still get communication when I email about it every once in awhile. But I've been told it should be ready in a few weeks for the last 2 months. Then 2+ weeks ago, it should be "next" week. Now in the 3rd week after getting this "estimate".

While I'm sure the cable will be worth the wait, and I'll be glad to get it (when/if I get it)... I seriously doubt I'll get another. Especially now that I know the "queue" doesn't really exist... or at least is being manipulated in some way. There are many other high quality silver cables available now, much quicker. And while I understand it is an "artisan" cable of high quality... it really is just cable assembly in the end. I've had a custom built guitar made from raw blocks of wood in less time.

I'll listen once I get it and then make a decision if the cost and unknown wait time is worth ever buying another DHC. But the sound quality will have to be well above the Silver Dragon I purchased to hold me over during the wait... or I won't be getting another. In fact, I also purchased new silver XLR cables for my studio monitoring in the time since I placed the order for the DHC silver IEM cable... and have been using them for months now. I seriously wanted to get the Double Helix version... but since the wait time is pretty much open ended, and I hadn't received any additional communication from DHC about it... I went with something I could buy and put into use in a reasonable amount of time.

Still waiting... 5 months + now.

Try 9 months already for Comp 4 for my Utopia and still no news yet.
Try 5 months for SP3 silver 8-braided for my K10C and no news yet also.
Probably not going to buy any further product from this DHC company of husband/wive anymore.
Emailed and no answer yet.

May 1, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #1,259 of 2,056
Here is my review of the DHC

Double Helix Cables.
Pure OCC Silver Litz IEM Cable V3 Next-Generation Model With Type 4 Litz Review

Pure OCC Silver Litz IEM Cable V3 Next-generation Model with Type 4 Litz and Jomo Audio 6R.

http://headpie.blogspot.jp/2017/05/double-helix-cables-pure-occ-silver.html

*Mods. Sorry for the link out. I don`t think the Head-fi review section is live yet for submitting reviews.

regards
expat

May 12, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #1,260 of 2,056
Question for LCD-4 owners:

I drive my LCD-4s with the Headamp LS-X Mk ii and balanced cables. I'm considering an upgrade to 3 meter runs (Balanced) of either the new Kimber Axios or the Moon Audio Silver Dragon Premium. Is anybody familiar with these with the LCD-4 and is one better than the other?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back