DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Aug 12, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #46 of 10,535
Prize not matter :) I want possible the best quality one, which one you will recomended, this Neutrik Rean nys2203p looks very good, but will not match with black 6,3 male Neutrik connector on other side of cable.

Thank you everyone for information.

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #47 of 10,535
Quote:
But does it come in black?!

2 possible solutions:

1) Black spray paint, or

2) Black duct tape.

biggrin.gif

Or, a 3rd solution:

Actually, Radio Shack sells them in black.  They have a 2-pack for about $4.49.  I've purchased them a few times.  The black outer shell is made of black plastic.  It just screws on once you've soldered your cable connection.  It should easily work with the noted Mogami cable for PeterMac's needs.

Here is the one, with the part number:

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #48 of 10,535
4th option (though the least practical by far):

Take it to a body/specialized metal shop (or possibly trade school) and have it anodized or powder coated.

Would definitely retain the black color, but would likely be very costly (unless you get lucky enough that they're running a job of the right color that you can get your parts in on as well).

I know people have done this with computer case parts, but I have no idea what the cost or process is.

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #49 of 10,535
Can be silver chrome also, maybe will no fit to black male plug, but this plug is behind PC pluged into the music card Xonar ST so it's not visible, more important and pros for me in this Neutrik Rean NYS2203P over NJ3FC6-BAG is size, is a lot of smaller and lighter. I hope in sound quality I do not notice any differences :)
Thanks again all.

By the way it's little wired, they have black male 6.3 jack http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/1-4in-Phone-Connectors/REAN-a-Brand-of-Neutrik-AG/NYS228BG.xhtml
So should be also female plug in black to match together.
In Poland I can't find it anywhere in shops so I have to buy from eBay :).

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #50 of 10,535
Great job starting this thread wje!
There is going to be some great info here!

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #51 of 10,535
This is how will be look :) http://www.slygoosecables.com/Mogami-14-Stereo-Extension.html
my cable Mogami 2534 is 6.0mm diameter but as I see this plug NYS2203P fit it from description here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neutrik-REAN-NYS2203P-3-pole-inline/dp/B0039E5N60

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #52 of 10,535
Quote:
This is how will be look :) http://www.slygoosecables.com/Mogami-14-Stereo-Extension.html
my cable Mogami 2534 is 6.0mm diameter but as I see this plug NYS2203P fit it from description here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neutrik-REAN-NYS2203P-3-pole-inline/dp/B0039E5N60

In order to keep the silver connector mostly black, you could also apply some shrink tube to the exterior and get out the heat gun.  That way, minimal chrome - or bling, would be showing.

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #53 of 10,535
Quote:
I have a question about Neutrik NJ3FC6 plug, maybe someone know is it possible to easy remove very uncomfortable Secure Lock from it, I hate it, always when I want to change replug my headphones almost always I have nail pain.

this is quite simple to do - remove the back screw lock, remove the screw on the side and the whole assembly slides out - merely remove the parts of the locking mechanism and put it back together.  I like these connectors too but always remove the locking tab. 

( not merely for convenience, but there are too many stories of amps being shorted using them. ) 

..dB

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #54 of 10,535
Here I went ahead and did it real quick for you since it was bugging me too:

Unscrew the strain relief and remove the outer shell locking screw from the side of the plug.

Gentle push the locking slide in and pull towards you and the slide and small spring that is behind it will pop out.

Us a small screwdriver or your fingernail to pry/remove the locking bar from the barrel of the connector. You can take the little piece of foam padding out as well.

With it all removed it should look like this. You can put the red locking slide and the small spring back in for looks if you like. I did. But it is not needed.

Once its reassembled you have a normal non-locking, high quality, black, female 1/4" plug

:)

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #55 of 10,535
Nice guide with great pictures. I think I might do this to mine as well. The locking has never bugged me, but I could do without it. 

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #56 of 10,535
Subbed. I will definately be using this thread sometime
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #58 of 10,535
For putting 4 wires into a sleeving, specifically Techflex, 1/4" or 1/2"? Also, what type do you guys recommend?

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #59 of 10,535
Quote:
For putting 4 wires into a sleeving, specifically Techflex, 1/4" or 1/2"? Also, what type do you guys recommend?

1/4", 1/2" is pretty large.  Plus techflex can always get larger but I have yet to see it shrink.  So smaller is safer.

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #60 of 10,535
Quote:
Quote:

1/4", 1/2" is pretty large.  Plus techflex can always get larger but I have yet to see it shrink.  So smaller is safer.

Thanks! Any of the series they have that you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back