Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Feb 23, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #4,981 of 5,248
  Hi there,

I'm looking for headphones for all kind of electronic music, and have two opinions - new D600 or used D5000. At this point I'm confusing regarding D5000 harsh and sibilance (according to some reviewers here, Tyll mentioned it as well), which is for sure not good for syntetic and compressed sound with lot of energy at high region. Could You please share your experience and opinion for D5000 at electronic stuffs? Is there harsh/sibilance/fatique? Is it at all worth 480$ or go with D600 for 320$?

Thanks in advance.

Don't buy a D5000 for upwards of $300, you could get a TH-X00, E-MU Teak or a TH-610 for that, they're all better, updated versions of the design.

Feb 23, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #4,983 of 5,248

Thanks for response. Is there a place where I could by brand new, unused TH-X00? What fits EDM better - TH-X00 or TH-610?

You can buy the X00 on Massdrop for $400, there's usually always one drop or another up there, and if there isn't, it will be within a week or two - the different wood choices don't really matter except for the visuals.

The X00 has more of a V shape, while the TH-610 has a bit less midbass but more subbass extension, and less treble. It's still very much bass focused, but balanced other than that since it's the only design in the series with a foam dampened driver.

If you're treble sensitive, go for the 610 - if you like treble, go for the X00.

Feb 23, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #4,984 of 5,248

You can buy the X00 on Massdrop for $400, there's usually always one drop or another up there, and if there isn't, it will be within a week or two - the different wood choices don't really matter except for the visuals.

The X00 has more of a V shape, while the TH-610 has a bit less midbass but more subbass extension, and less treble. It's still very much bass focused, but balanced other than that since it's the only design in the series with a foam dampened driver.

If you're treble sensitive, go for the 610 - if you like treble, go for the X00.

I'm very treble sensitive - even my AudioQuest NightHawks sometime sounds harsh for me (for sure - depending on records) when everybody calls them laidback, warm, muddy, etc. Thanks for Your imput - if TH-X00 may be bright, I suppose I should try TH-610.
P.S.: on Massdrop there are ebony and rosewood Fostex TH available - are these brighter original TH-X00 or darker?

Feb 23, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #4,985 of 5,248

I'm very treble sensitive - even my AudioQuest NightHawks sometime sounds harsh for me (for sure - depending on records) when everybody calls them laidback, warm, muddy, etc. Thanks for Your imput - if TH-X00 may be bright, I suppose I should try TH-610.
P.S.: on Massdrop there are ebony and rosewood Fostex TH available - are these brighter original TH-X00 or darker?

The purpleheart version is most V shaped, ebony most neutral is the consensus I think.

If you find what you buy too bright/sharp sounding still, you can open them up (quite easy) and dampen the cups with wool or felt as opposed to cotton and that'll probably yield good results.
I'm looking to try around with different kinds of dampening for my pair, but I'll have to build a measurement rig first to be able to verify any of it, so that'll take a while.

Feb 23, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #4,986 of 5,248

The purpleheart version is most V shaped, ebony most neutral is the consensus I think.

If you find what you buy too bright/sharp sounding still, you can open them up (quite easy) and dampen the cups with wool or felt as opposed to cotton and that'll probably yield good results.
I'm looking to try around with different kinds of dampening for my pair, but I'll have to build a measurement rig first to be able to verify any of it, so that'll take a while.

Thats great it can be modified. So to summarize: regarding TH-610 vs. E Mu Teac vs. TH-X00 - they all are available for sale.
What cans in Your opinion sound most darker and tighter in bass region while having the smoothest treble?

Feb 23, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #4,987 of 5,248

Thats great it can be modified. So to summarize: regarding TH-610 vs. E Mu Teac vs. TH-X00 - they all are available for sale.
What cans in Your opinion sound most darker and tighter in bass region while having the smoothest treble?

I didn't get to try all of them, but they're all the same driver to my knowledge except the TH-610's dampening and cotton-stuffed cups, so they're likely the smoothest.
They also have the deepest extension, and all of them will do you more than well in regards to bass.

If you really want to suffer from headache-inducing amounts of bass, just get any of them and EQ up the frequencies below 200hz by 2-4dB - they really, really have enough bass :p

Feb 23, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #4,988 of 5,248

I didn't get to try all of them, but they're all the same driver to my knowledge except the TH-610's dampening and cotton-stuffed cups, so they're likely the smoothest.
They also have the deepest extension, and all of them will do you more than well in regards to bass.

If you really want to suffer from headache-inducing amounts of bass, just get any of them and EQ up the frequencies below 200hz by 2-4dB - they really, really have enough bass :p

The problem is the iTunes the only EQ I "own", and while playing with EQ setting I can't reach anything other, except of sound distortion, followed by disappointment. I suppose I have to try some more enhanced soft.

Feb 23, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #4,989 of 5,248

The problem is the iTunes the only EQ I "own", and while playing with EQ setting I can't reach anything other, except of sound distortion, followed by disappointment. I suppose I have to try some more enhanced soft.

Honestly you'll be fine, the bit about EQ was more of a joke - you could check the measurement graphs on innerfidelity and compare it to the ones of something you already own or know.
Anything in the series has quite ridiculous bass, compared to an HD650 or similar for example.

Feb 23, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #4,990 of 5,248

Honestly you'll be fine, the bit about EQ was more of a joke - you could check the measurement graphs on innerfidelity and compare it to the ones of something you already own or know.
Anything in the series has quite ridiculous bass, compared to an HD650 or similar for example.

:) thanks for You input, well at this moment a think I have to consider TH-610 over more bright others "Fostex/Denon/E MU" headphones.
I've owned HD650, AKG-K712, HE400S - all were sold due too lack of tight bass and slow decay. For now I left NightHawks for "casual" use, and think TH-610 will be one for EDM stuffs.

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #4,991 of 5,248
  Hi there,

I'm looking for headphones for all kind of electronic music, and have two opinions - new D600 or used D5000. At this point I'm confusing regarding D5000 harsh and sibilance (according to some reviewers here, Tyll mentioned it as well), which is for sure not good for syntetic and compressed sound with lot of energy at high region. Could You please share your experience and opinion for D5000 at electronic stuffs? Is there harsh/sibilance/fatique? Is it at all worth 480$ or go with D600 for 320$?

Thanks in advance.

I think any comments about the D5000 being harsh or sibilant is from a relative perspective, because it is neither to any measurable extreme.  Tyll enjoyed the D5000 immensely and even recommended it at one point.  He found the difference between the stock D2000 and D5000 to be more significant than the difference between the D5000 and the D7000.

he AH-D2000 is somewhat thin and analytical compared with its more expensive siblings. Voices are a bit dryer sounding, not having quite the body and intimacy, and they sound a bit more distant than the other two. I also hear a bit of grain in the sound. Compared with the AKG K550 (a headphone of similar price and type) I find the D2000 to be more accurately resolving in the treble, but the K550 has a tighter bass and a more natural sounding midrange for vocals. The bass on the K550 may be a bit stronger than neutral making it a warmer headphone overall, where the D2000, while still a slightly warm headphone, has a more neutral balance in general.

The AH-D5000 clearly steps it up a notch in the sound quality department. Female vocals regain their organic warmth and juicy intimacy. The bass is slightly elevated and a bit loose, though now a bit tighter than the earlier D5000 model. The treble range is clear and clean, with a slightly overemphasized sparkle. This is a very good sounding headphone, but when compared directly to the Sennheiser HD 800 you can hear they're not as transparent, and the colorations of a closed back design prevent the airy depth achieved by the HD 800.

Moving up to the AH-D7000 is not nearly the leap in sound quality I found moving from the D2000 to D5000, but the D7000 is audibly cleaner, more resolving and refined. The tonal balance is slightly less warm than the D5000 and now very close to what I would consider neutral, though still a tad warm. Moving backward to the D5000 after becoming accustomed to the D7000, there's clearly a sense that the D5000 is a bit muffled sounding in comparison. The bass is tighter than the D5000, but remains slightly loose sounding. The mids are truly lovely and lush, but in comparison with the almost eery realness of the HD 800, the closed back coloration again becomes obvious. Highs have a touch of sparkle, but are a bit more refined and natural than the D5000.

Read more at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/luscious-denon-ah-d2000-ah-d50000-and-ah-d7000-page-3#or7UcPkPHxC7AQpO.99

These are fantastic headphones and among the absolute best for electronic music.  The D5000 is a fun headphone for a wide range of music genres.  

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #4,992 of 5,248
I wouldn't call them sibilant, I just found they could get too aggressive with certain kinds of music that the TH-610 does better at.

The main issue is that the D5000 is only available used now, and the driver has had multiple revisions that improved it a fair bit (i.e. the one in 2012) - I'd still say it's worth buying in the $200-300 price range, but for upwards of that, the extra step for the X00 or 610 just seems like a better choice from a price:performance ratio.

If you like collecting audio milestones though, there's definitely a good reason to owning a pair, because these have seriously made an impact in my opinion.

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #4,993 of 5,248
  Hi there,

Thanks in advance.

I have owned both D600 and currently own a D2000. 

For just electronic music, I'd say the D600 is very good. I do prefer the D2000, as I feel it has a more balanced signature overall. I also feel it is more spacious.

I'd say all of these series are very good. Technically, the D2000 is the design that started them all and they hold up very well. While some of the other models may be superior, for the price of a TH900 I don't think you are going to get this magical improvement in performance. The drivers and design is very close. So for mostly electronic music with somegeneral listening, if you get a very good deal on a D600 or D2000 either would be worth it. 

For new I'd look at TH610, E-Mu,TH-6xx or even Denon AH-D7200. 

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #4,994 of 5,248
  I have owned both D600 and currently own a D2000. 

For just electronic music, I'd say the D600 is very good. I do prefer the D2000, as I feel it has a more balanced signature overall. I also feel it is more spacious.

I'd say all of these series are very good. Technically, the D2000 is the design that started them all and they hold up very well. While some of the other models may be superior, for the price of a TH900 I don't think you are going to get this magical improvement in performance. The drivers and design is very close. So for mostly electronic music with somegeneral listening, if you get a very good deal on a D600 or D2000 either would be worth it. 

For new I'd look at TH610, E-Mu,TH-6xx or even Denon AH-D7200. 

Thanks for the response. Regarding TH610, E-Mu - is it better to consider instead of TH-X00? Why? 

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #4,995 of 5,248
My old D2000 and D5000 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back