Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 26, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #31,396 of 42,765
Compared to the USB input I find coaxial to sound largely the same. Optical is slightly smoother and USB and coaxial are generally a wash IMO.

Of course this is with the gear I've tried and use so YMMV.

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #31,398 of 42,765
thanks a lot for your input about the differences in your finding!! what optical cable are you using?

I use a short Sysconcept optical cable and it works very well from the AK100 mk2 and the AK240. I've posted these already in the thread, but this is what it looks like...

I also have other various optical cables I've used with my CD player and MacBookPro.

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #31,399 of 42,765

It would be great to find these posts back. I don,t even know that there was a post on this topic!!!

A search using the keyword Fiio should bring up ,some posts.
However as a starter Post #3 contains this section of links:

Connecting Mojo to devices via 3.5mm co-axial (Click to hide)
(NB: please also view the videos section!)

IMPORTANT : It is YOUR responsibility to make sure that the cable you are buying correctly fits the connectors on your equipmentNone of these links are official endorsements.

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread/2940#post_12033270

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread/2595#post_12029029

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/12810#post_12407306

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread/3570#post_12046140

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-read-the-first-post-for-updated-info/4020#post_12054119

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-read-the-first-post-for-updated-info/4275#post_12057847

Please be cautious about head-fier derGabe selling cables  some members have not received their orders!

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/11490#post_12349732

iBasso DX90 issues:  www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-read-the-first-post-for-updated-info/4800#post_12069924

Fiio x3ii and X5ii  owners, please additionally note: www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/14070#post_12442957
MoonAudio offer suitable cables
Custom-Cable also offer suitable cables

'Uranus' Co-Axial cable for Fiio X3ii and X5ii (Click to show)  

Here are the signal paths for an appropriate Co-Axial cable to connect Fiio X3ii and X5ii DAPs to Mojos Co-Axial digital input:

(pin-out identities based upon these: www.head-fi.org/t/784602/14985#post_12467535 )

IMPORTANT: James (CEO of Fiio) has privately confirmed to me that the above diagram is definitely correct for X3ii, X5ii, and X7

Alternatively, if you wish to use a stereo TRS plug at the Mojo end (instead of the mono TS plug in the above picture, which is really all that is required), then the pin connections would be as follows:

(pin-out identities based upon this: www.head-fi.org/t/784602/18675#post_12651727)

Also see THIS post (Click to show)

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #31,400 of 42,765
2094 pages. so i take it there are a few people who have this lil beauty, or else a couple of people who post a LOT. then i guess i'm not breaking any new ground when i receive mine in 3 days, but heck, i'm still excited as can be. 

this beast will free me from only listening in one spot in the house, which is in the basement (or cellar as we call em around here), and allow my grandchildren to know for certain that i'm still with them (i listen a LOT!). i am also fairly certain that the dac in this thing is gonna out perform the old grant fidelity tube dac i'm using. have an AQ cinnamon and an AQ golden gate coming, so i can also use it as dac only with my burson soloist amp. 

i still can't get over being amazed at the idea that i can listen to my lcd-3f (2016 ver) anywhere i please. spring is coming and sitting outside is gonna be amazing. i think I better 'spring' for that fresh battery for my laptop! 

is this thing half as good as they say it is? c'mon wednesday, hurry up and get here!

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #31,401 of 42,765
  2094 pages. so i take it there are a few people who have this lil beauty, or else a couple of people who post a LOT. then i guess i'm not breaking any new ground when i receive mine in 3 days, but heck, i'm still excited as can be. 

this beast will free me from only listening in one spot in the house, which is in the basement (or cellar as we call em around here), and allow my grandchildren to know for certain that i'm still with them (i listen a LOT!). i am also fairly certain that the dac in this thing is gonna out perform the old grant fidelity tube dac i'm using. have an AQ cinnamon and an AQ golden gate coming, so i can also use it as dac only with my burson soloist amp. 

i still can't get over being amazed at the idea that i can listen to my lcd-3f (2016 ver) anywhere i please. spring is coming and sitting outside is gonna be amazing. i think I better 'spring' for that fresh battery for my laptop! 

is this thing half as good as they say it is? c'mon wednesday, hurry up and get here!

a quality portable audio rig is definitely a thing of beauty...

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #31,402 of 42,765

Welcome to the club (in 3 days). I don't think that you will be disappointed.

Chord posted a few days ago, that they have sold nearly 50k Mojos, and still the number grows.

This does mean that there is a vast reservoir of knowledge built up on Head-Fi, with a lot of common questions/answers documented in post #3.

I always suggest spend the 3 days compiling your music list, then enjoy the music and see where it leads you - it has certainly led me to explore many new musical styles/artists/etc during the last year.

There is also the Mojos greatest hits thread, where some of us discuss tracks that sound very good using Mojo. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #31,403 of 42,765

prepare for a new experience
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #31,404 of 42,765
In the early Mojo days (say just over a year ago), there were a lot of posts regarding the best coaxial cables and plugs to use. But once a consensus was reached, the posts seemed to die down, because there were no issues left to solve - plus I presume that most coaxial users must have been happy.

Yep, use Coax from Fiio & iBasso DAPs into Mojo & Hugo and never had the slightest problem.  In past used Optical and Co-ax into Tag hifi, always preferred Coax.

Mar 26, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #31,406 of 42,765
thanks a lot for input concerning coaxial input of the Mojo. have you ever use usb? interested to see if thee is differences, if so what they are.

Never had need nor desire to. Optical can have problems with highest bitrates and previously sounded too smooth (connections to hifi) which i don't like. USB has different variants, OnTheGo, Micro, Mini, C type. Coax just works and sounds great, very few problems ever talked about on here. The thread would be a tenth smaller if you cut out connection queries with USB and Optical!

Mar 26, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #31,407 of 42,765
Never had need nor desire to. Optical can have problems with highest bitrates and previously sounded too smooth (connections to hifi) which i don't like. USB has different variants, OnTheGo, Micro, Mini, C type. Coax just works and sounds great, very few problems ever talked about on here. The thread would be a tenth smaller if you cut out connection queries with USB and Optical!

thanks a lot! Since I don't listen much DSD files, I guess I will use the Cayin N3 with it's ''special'' USB C to coaxial cable.....at worst, still can use normal usb c to micro b with the Mojo since the N3 can both output coax or usb. Will see which sound I prefer.

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #31,408 of 42,765
  I'd interested to try a Mojo as a desktop DAC (I'm not a headphone guy).  I've searched this thread, but it doesn't seem like there's a consensus for a bargain micro USB to use for a desktop solution (ala the infamous Belkin USB gold back in the day).  I'm not really interested to spend more than 20-30 bucks, so the AQ cinnamon is out.  Also looking for a quality USB charging cable. Any other suggestions?  Anker perhaps?

Get an Anker Powerline (they are excellent quality usb cables) and stick a couple ferrite chokes on it. I just use a Monoprice 3m micro usb. 

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #31,409 of 42,765
  Welcome to the club (in 3 days). I don't think that you will be disappointed.

Chord posted a few days ago, that they have sold nearly 50k Mojos, and still the number grows.

This does mean that there is a vast reservoir of knowledge built up on Head-Fi, with a lot of common questions/answers documented in post #3.

I always suggest spend the 3 days compiling your music list, then enjoy the music and see where it leads you - it has certainly led me to explore many new musical styles/artists/etc during the last year.

There is also the Mojos greatest hits thread, where some of us discuss tracks that sound very good using Mojo. 
biggrin.gif

I dont know why but i expected at least 200,000 units. Being so involved in this hobby makes me forget its still a niche market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back