Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 28, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #31,426 of 42,765
If only the Poly weren't crazy priced and was in the $400-450 range... it'd be hard not to grab that instead of a DAP.

In due time it will be 
wink_face.gif

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #31,427 of 42,765
  I'm in the same boat. I've had mine for 2 mos. or so and love the sound. I currently pair with my Sony Z3v as a source (spare phone), but stacking is silly as the phone is huge. I wish they had smaller phones roughly the size of the Mojo for stacking. I originally bought an LG V20 thinking that was going to solve my "mobile" situation. Though, the Mojo squashes the V20 and made me realize that vocals on the V20 aren't as good, Highs can be sibilant at times and bass is too fuzzy. So, I now 'am looking for a DAP to pair with it (as I didn't like the Shanling M1). If only the Poly weren't crazy priced and was in the $400-450 range... it'd be hard not to grab that instead of a DAP.

I'm kinda on the same boat. Would prefer a DAP over stacking, but there's no DAP that compares to the Mojo (maybe the AK380 at like 5x the price!). I also have the V20 and agree with your comparison.

Just like you, I wanted a small mobile device to attach to the Mojo. I ended up getting a used Xperia Z3 Compact and I'm pretty satisfied with the stack, although, the phone could be smaller still. Plus, Sony used to have a dedicated audio driver via OTG (I reverted back to Android 4.4.4 because they removed the setting in later versions). Now I can use Tidal without Android's stupid re-sampling :)

I also thought about getting an old iPhone (when they were 4"), but don't want to have to use the camera connect dongle. The Poly would be a sweet alternative, but I wouldn't pay more than $200 for that kind of convenience. Also, would it be able to stream Tidal?

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #31,428 of 42,765

Notice anything? :wink:

I've been really enjoying Mojo the past months. However, I've always felt the Hugo to sound much better, airier, much more open, more impactful.

I got to know of a balanced mod service, doesn't cost much and doesn't do a huge overall, just changes one of the outputs to a balanced output. Now I know some people are going to jump at this and tell me that the mojo is best untouched.

What I do hear, is significantly sharper imaging, significantly larger and more open staging, airier highs, and better resolution. So much so that I don't miss my Hugo anymore. The Hugo might be wiser, but the balanced mojo actually sounds more precise, transparent and resolving.

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #31,429 of 42,765

I'm kinda on the same boat. Would prefer a DAP over stacking, but there's no DAP that compares to the Mojo (maybe the AK380 at like 5x the price!). I also have the V20 and agree with your comparison.

Just like you, I wanted a small mobile device to attach to the Mojo. I ended up getting a used Xperia Z3 Compact and I'm pretty satisfied with the stack, although, the phone could be smaller still. Plus, Sony used to have a dedicated audio driver via OTG (I reverted back to Android 4.4.4 because they removed the setting in later versions). Now I can use Tidal without Android's stupid re-sampling :)

I also thought about getting an old iPhone (when they were 4"), but don't want to have to use the camera connect dongle. The Poly would be a sweet alternative, but I wouldn't pay more than $200 for that kind of convenience. Also, would it be able to stream Tidal?

I believe you would be able to stream Tidal if you connect via BT 4.0/AptX. I've done that on the Shanling and it wasn't bad at all. I've been thinking a lot about the DP-X1 and the AK70... and really like the look of the AK70 in stacked form (ultimately an AK120 v1 would be my preferred stack).

I like how this Miter case snaps apart.

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #31,431 of 42,765
  I believe you would be able to stream Tidal if you connect via BT 4.0/AptX. I've done that on the Shanling and it wasn't bad at all. I've been thinking a lot about the DP-X1 and the AK70... and really like the look of the AK70 in stacked form (ultimately an AK120 v1 would be my preferred stack).

Yeah, that is slick. I would've gone the AK route, but they don't do Tidal offline (nor have said if they ever will). Shame :frowning2:

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #31,432 of 42,765
Glad folks recently mentioned the Shanling M1 and that Hidziz or whatever it's called.  I keep meaning to find a source for Mojo so I can use it away from PC.

However I recently added a requirement to my list of necessities with a source. It must have quite an expansive EQ on it. Basically I discovered my Grado 225e sound infinitely better with the bright highs tamed.

225e graph.

It means I need a DAP that I can EQ, if I keep these headphones. That actually rules out the Sony A15/17, since all settings become locked when USB is connected. I either need a DAP that will still EQ, or a phone that has an app that EQ's.

It might seem a bit of a workaround for just one pair of headphones. However it can't harm to have EQ possibility can it? Unless in future I absolutely maintain a philosophy of buying only flat response headphones. (Then sell my 225e, so I can use any source. ...Btw..I don't mean that the 225e are way too bright, but they are a bit for me.)

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #31,433 of 42,765

Yeah, that is slick. I would've gone the AK route, but they don't do Tidal offline (nor have said if they ever will). Shame :frowning2:

That does stink, didn't think of that.

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #31,434 of 42,765

You can stream tidal using USBAudioPlayerPro a great little Android app.

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #31,435 of 42,765
  Glad folks recently mentioned the Shanling M1 and that Hidziz or whatever it's called.  I keep meaning to find a source for Mojo so I can use it away from PC.

However I recently added a requirement to my list of necessities with a source. It must have quite an expansive EQ on it. Basically I discovered my Grado 225e sound infinitely better with the bright highs tamed.

225e graph.

It means I need a DAP that I can EQ, if I keep these headphones. That actually rules out the Sony A15/17, since all settings become locked when USB is connected. I either need a DAP that will still EQ, or a phone that has an app that EQ's.

It might seem a bit of a workaround for just one pair of headphones. However it can't harm to have EQ possibility can it? Unless in future I absolutely maintain a philosophy of buying only flat response headphones. (Then sell my 225e, so I can use any source. ...Btw..I don't mean that the 225e are way too bright, but they are a bit for me.)

UAPP on android, nothing else is close.  Paramaetric and typical IQ, streaming support, responsive support that constantly updates the app, bitperfect option, DSD options, so many options. 

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #31,436 of 42,765
Mar 28, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #31,437 of 42,765

There are some nice neat albeit expensive third party cables available that get rid of the CCK and make a smalier iPhonI a neat option.

I agree that a device that does not store offline files is no use to me.

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #31,439 of 42,765
  You guys got me thinking... now I'm looking through Amazon at sub 3.5" screen Android phones. There are a lot and sub $100 for them, and sum in the $50 range.

Make sure they support OTG! Many cheap Android phones don't come with the feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back