CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 17, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #8,896 of 25,851
My Dave wiill be on the way soon, order will be placed tomorrow. I still have the Analog here (with Power Base) and it's obviously a huge upgrade from my Vega, as you say it's very smooth and liquid. I'm quite confident Dave will beat it though. Any suggestions for a good power cord for Dave? I currently have a Shunyata Venom 3, which is an upgrade over stock, but I think Dave might need better.

Save your money

A regenerator like PS Audio PowerPlant , Taurus , Isotek could be a step up from my testings, it become more calm, but you loose slightly in the ultra high resolution from my testings. But it is very subtle.

So keep your cable and save for the Blu instead, because the power supply is a switched version and not as sensitive at all, it can instead pollute your other sensitive source products downstream, and here it can be a good choice to use a power regenerator to shield them from the switching power supply in DAVE and Blu.

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #8,897 of 25,851
I would suggest a custom made power cord from furutech bulk cable. a such cord costing about $750 will easily compete with even the most expensive power cord on earth, reason is simple the technology used in their bulk power cable is far far superior than branded cables. furutech is supplier to many expensive cable brands. these brands simply put a jacket on the cable to hide furutech label on cable outer sheath. oyaide is other such brand supplying bulk cables

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #8,898 of 25,851
I am using all furutech bulk cable interconnect and power cord with my Hugo and benchmark ahb2 combo . I have put few ferrite cores on power cable and digital cable . each and every added ferrite core seem to make the background blacker which initially gives the impression of added softness and loss of dynamics but in reality there is in increase in dynamics because you now can listen at slightly higher volumes. can't explain the exact science behind the effect but the cheap trick of using ferrite cores on power and digital cables is proving to be extremely effective.

Jul 17, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #8,899 of 25,851
I am using all furutech bulk cable interconnect and power cord with my Hugo and benchmark ahb2 combo . I have put few ferrite cores on power cable and digital cable . each and every added ferrite core seem to make the background blacker which initially gives the impression of added softness and loss of dynamics but in reality there is in increase in dynamics because you now can listen at slightly higher volumes. can't explain the exact science behind the effect but the cheap trick of using ferrite cores on power and digital cables is proving to be extremely effective.

The use of ferrite cores is as old as the hills and is proven to filter RF and other noise depending on how the ferrite core is designed. My AVO valve tester from the 1950s is full of them.
It is no use just putting random ferrite cores on cables though. There are plenty of guides available to help select the correct ferrite for the task in hand. Amateur radio enthusiasts often have to use them to filter RF from other cables in their houses!

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #8,900 of 25,851
I would suggest a custom made power cord from furutech bulk cable. a such cord costing about $750 will easily compete with even the most expensive power cord on earth, reason is simple the technology used in their bulk power cable is far far superior than branded cables. furutech is supplier to many expensive cable brands. these brands simply put a jacket on the cable to hide furutech label on cable outer sheath. oyaide is other such brand supplying bulk cables

I have come close to being banned before now for questioning the sanity of people who pay $750 for a power cord let alone those who view $750 as being a cheap alternative to 'expensive' cable brands.

So I have learned my lesson and I will not comment.

:wink:

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #8,901 of 25,851
I have come close to being banned before now for questioning the sanity of people who pay $750 for a power cord let alone those who view $750 as being a cheap alternative to 'expensive' cable brands.

So I have learned my lesson and I will not comment.

:wink:
Borrow some cables from your dealer. There's no risk. I was a total disbeliever but even my wife (who is not an audiophile in any way) can easily hear differences under blind testing. The differences were not subtle - the results were quite obvious.

The caveat is that every/room system is different, and it depends how worth it to you it is to get an increase in sound quality,

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #8,903 of 25,851
Borrow some cables from your dealer. There's no risk. I was a total disbeliever but even my wife (who is not an audiophile in any way) can easily hear differences under blind testing. The differences were not subtle - the results were quite obvious.

The caveat is that every/room system is different, and it depends how worth it to you it is to get an increase in sound quality,

Have you any ideas as to why? Assuming it is nothing to do with the power delivery then maybe it is to do with RF filtering or rejection? That is the oft quoted conclusion. In which case there are easy and cheap ways to achieve the same. Also, some systems might have better RF filtering within their own built in power supplies to the amps and other kit. If it is a true improvement and as big as you say then it should not be room dependent.

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #8,905 of 25,851
Jul 18, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #8,907 of 25,851
i was told some time ago when i spoke to chord about an issue i had with my hugo that there was no problem with transferring warranty....i wouldnt think there would be

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #8,908 of 25,851
Have you any ideas as to why? Assuming it is nothing to do with the power delivery then maybe it is to do with RF filtering or rejection? That is the oft quoted conclusion. In which case there are easy and cheap ways to achieve the same. Also, some systems might have better RF filtering within their own built in power supplies to the amps and other kit. If it is a true improvement and as big as you say then it should not be room dependent.

It's a great question, and I think what you suggest may be a substantial part of the answer. All I can say is, it's great to play around and see what produces meaningful results and what doesn't, especially if you can borrow items from a dealer at no cost. For my system, strangely, a cheap ~$100 power cord made a very audible improvement, but high-res files did not consistently sound better/different than redbook.

Anyway, I have a Dave incoming (hopefully this week), so I'm curious to see which tweeks have a benefit and which don't. I'm guessing the Regen will be up for sale soon.

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #8,909 of 25,851
I recently asked the same question I was told by dealer Warranty is transferable.

Power cables £200 vs £2000 the £200 was well made but could not hear any SQ improvement.

The £2000.00 power cable night and day in SQ but used with a mains block so all system was connected to the same power cable.

Then tried the Torus Power Transformer even better SQ.

Strange thing is I get better results with a pre amp and Dave ( which is not the case with the rest of the users ) which makes me think the preamp MAY have worked like some sort of filter prior to me connecting the Torus.

I have not tested the Dave straight to the amps using the Torus. Perhaps worth a trying ...?

Jul 19, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #8,910 of 25,851
not allowing warranty to be transferrable is a big negative for a product...it kills the resale value and makes me less likely to buy it the product

Users who are viewing this thread

Back