CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 13, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #8,867 of 25,856
I have not heard the BADA Ref 2 but isnt it twice as expensive as the Dave?....my guess is the dave holds it own and with the Blu 2 which I eagerly await it probably does more than that
Im sure you will like blu, antipodes dsgt transformed my TT, the single biggest impact on sound in my chain.

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #8,868 of 25,856
Why is price the number 1 factor? The Dave isn't quadruple better than X.

The Ref 2 is the best I've heard by a wide margin; one that is appreciable to my ears, hence why DAVE is gone.

Enjoy your Blu 2.

The thing is that we all look for different things in the music we play and how it sounds through the kit we use. People have told me before that x or y is better than z but there is only one way to find out and that is to listen ones self.

Enjoy the Ref2. I do enjoy my Blu2.

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #8,869 of 25,856
Dave does not need to be on 24/7 to sound it's best,it takes about 10 mins from a cold start.also you can put Dave in standby if you wish.
the schiits need lots of warm up burn in. I accidentally stepped in a thread and mentioned it must be a pain to know when or not your sound is optimal. Well found out soon that it was a schiit thread under a different name and got a quick solid jab to the nose. Took the high road tho, walked away.

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #8,870 of 25,856
The thing is that we all look for different things in the music we play and how it sounds through the kit we use. People have told me before that x or y is better than z but there is only one way to find out and that is to listen ones self.

Enjoy the Ref2. I do enjoy my Blu2.

Yes, however, price is no correlation to performance, so why even bring it up to begin with. Logical fallacy.

Everyone should find their own truths, indeed.

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #8,871 of 25,856
I'd say well worth the trip. Both surpassed the Analog. Both play with the Signature.

The DAVE is 1. too ugly to be my choice of gear and 2. easily surpassed by the BADA Ref 2. The Yggdrasil is just my reserve.
At this point I'm thinking why not just buy Dave blind, what are the odds I'm not going to love it. Possible but not very likely. It might also enable me to sell my WA5 LE if I conclude straight out of Dave is superior. I might not need the amp anymore with my HD800, LCD-3 and PS1000. Also thinking of getting a Utopia, straight out of Dave is supposed to be most excellent.

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #8,872 of 25,856
At this point I'm thinking why not just buy Dave blind, what are the odds I'm not going to love it. Possible but not very likely. It might also enable me to sell my WA5 LE if I conclude straight out of Dave is superior. I might not need the amp anymore with my HD800, LCD-3 and PS1000. Also thinking of getting a Utopia, straight out of Dave is supposed to be most excellent.

The DAVE is world-class amongst many others. Most of the time, at a certain level, you are splitting hairs, at least IME.

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #8,873 of 25,856
The DAVE is world-class amongst many others. Most of the time, at a certain level, you are splitting hairs, at least IME.
If I did a lot of auditioning, I guess I could slightly prefer one DAC over another in that price range. But the thing that makes Dave possibly more attractive than the others is that with a lot of headphones that aren't power hungry, many people like to go straight out of Dave for more transparency, the amp is not preferred.

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #8,874 of 25,856
Yes, however, price is no correlation to performance, so why even bring it up to begin with. Logical fallacy.

Everyone should find their own truths, indeed.

Err, I didn't mention price.

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #8,876 of 25,856
price does matter because people have to make decisions regarding finances...a 10K product is easier to purchase than a 20K one.....I cannot dispute your subjective opinion...that said a car costing 40K would be expected to be better than one costing 20K...all that said I cannot imagine MUCH better than Dave

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #8,877 of 25,856
price does matter because people have to make decisions regarding finances...a 10K product is easier to purchase than a 20K one.....I cannot dispute your subjective opinion...that said a car costing 40K would be expected to be better than one costing 20K...all that said I cannot imagine MUCH better than Dave

That context is very much living within your means rather than the implication of more expensive is better. The issue simply is generalizing as there will always be examples of
less expensive gear sounding great, etc and more expensive gear sounding like ass, etc.

Jul 13, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #8,878 of 25,856
Absolutely. They're both equals IMO. I would definitely recommend you demo them in your system and come to your own conclusions, however.
I own both and prefer DAVE definitely. I use USB as the input for the two DACs.

Jul 13, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #8,880 of 25,856
I own both and prefer DAVE definitely. I use USB as the input for the two DACs.

Perhaps that's a contributing factor. With all the converter craze, etc it muddies the playing field. I am exclusively using AES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back