CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 27, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #8,927 of 25,919
I also found that the amber regen didn't do much into the Dave. Isoregen however is a big step.
I've just received an ultraRendu 2 days ago and it is a big improvement over microRendu

Jul 27, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #8,928 of 25,919
You do not even need to try it, because the result is not anything to wright home about.

With The W4s Remedy Opt/BNC/ Coax clock can give you a slight deeper depht / timing using coax or toslink signal i have found.

But the USB connection is the best and focus on a Auralic Aries or a Super mRendu insted of the regen.
Super mRendu is mR with h/w V1.4?

Jul 27, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #8,929 of 25,919
I also found that the amber regen didn't do much into the Dave. Isoregen however is a big step.
I've just received an ultraRendu 2 days ago and it is a big improvement over microRendu
So the chain is Server >UR >IR >DAVE?

Jul 27, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #8,930 of 25,919
That seems like a lot of filtering (use this term loosely) before the dac. I'm server into dac. There is a lot of tech in the server why add something more?

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #8,931 of 25,919
That seems like a lot of filtering (use this term loosely) before the dac. I'm server into dac. There is a lot of tech in the server why add something more?

+1. Yes, exactly. Especially against the background of Rob Watts' comments that the Dave is particularly insensitive to / tollerant of upstream gear.

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #8,932 of 25,919

I went a little way down that road of LPS-1, mRendu plus W4S RUR - although I found that Dave didn't really benefit from the latter. Then with Blu II into Dave and comparing file playback vs CD, I realised that my file delivery strategy was flawed. I use Roon and logic suggested that I needed to remove the network from my playback system and, once I did, the sound quality of file playback and streaming was improved substantially. Good files are now the equal of Blu II CD replay and even better with good hires files.

Jul 27, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #8,934 of 25,919
So what is your file playback system now that the network has been removed? Thanks

I have been trialling an Innuos Zenith MkII server which runs Roon core and outputs direct to DAC via USB. Usefully, it also has an Ethernet output which means that you can also pursue the end point path if you prefer or if future developments make that a positive gain. That was a key point which led me to the Zenith since most servers only output via one or the other, not both. For now, direct USB sounds best for me.

I was very impressed with the Zenith and am now waiting for a Zenith SE which is a souped up version aimed at removing even more from the the noise areas like power supply, wiring, chassis etc.

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #8,938 of 25,919
I have been trialling an Innuos Zenith MkII server which runs Roon core and outputs direct to DAC via USB. Usefully, it also has an Ethernet output which means that you can also pursue the end point path if you prefer or if future developments make that a positive gain. That was a key point which led me to the Zenith since most servers only output via one or the other, not both. For now, direct USB sounds best for me.

I was very impressed with the Zenith and am now waiting for a Zenith SE which is a souped up version aimed at removing even more from the the noise areas like power supply, wiring, chassis etc.
Antipodes audio ds GT USB sounds best as well. Dx even better. No need for any box in between, roon core operates very well.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #8,939 of 25,919
Antipodes audio ds GT USB sounds best as well. Ds even better. No need for any box in between, roon core operates very well.

I did look at Antipodes. They looked very good and the DX in particular had very positive feedback but, from memory, I think I didn't pursue them because they didn't have Ethernet output, they only had USB, and I wanted to have both bases covered - just in case!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back