Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
May 24, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #2,041 of 6,262
My N3 just arrived in nicely sealed packaging. 2 people have said it does gapless so I'll give it a go.

Let us know Brian. I think it also depends on how you've ripped your music. I have one version of Pink Floyd's DSOTM that plays with a slight gap between tracks, but plays perfectly when I switch gapless mode 'on'. I also have a DSD of War of the Worlds that plays perfectly gapless regardless of the gapless mode in settings. Still wrapping my head around how gapless works, especially when you have a gapless album ripped to individual tracks.

May 24, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #2,042 of 6,262
So far I've only noticed that with one track, Ice Cube's "Today Was a Good Day," where the pitch/tempo changes within the track from faster at the beginning to slower when the verses begin. This does not happen when I play through my computer.
I'm tempted to say it has something to do with the cue file. Have you tried playing that song by itself, separate from the cue file? If so, did it play fine or was the pitch error still there? I've not read anyone else reporting this issue which points me back to the cue file as the issue and the N3 perhaps processing it differently than foobar.

May 24, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #2,043 of 6,262
Except the N3 needs the hole at the bottom center for the select button. I've been wanting a glass protector as well, but it's really hard because of that hole to get a full face protector. I've been looking at finding a company to custom cut a set of protectors, but so far it's been impossible or cost prohibitive because of minimum orders.

I wasn't aware that you wanted full-face protection. I just figured you wanted just the screen area.

May 24, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #2,044 of 6,262
I've had the N3 a couple of hours now and it's fully charged so I've tried out a few things.

3 tracks successfully tested for gapless play

OTG works using a USB adapter from Amazon bought previously for the i5

Paired the N3 (Bluetooth) with my iPhone and played music from Spotify through the N3.

Connected the N3 via the HO/Line-Out socket with Line-Out selected to the analogue input of a Naim Unitiqute and it sounds fine.
Switched the socket to HO vice Line-Out, set the volume to 90 and it sounded fine.

Connected the N3 via Line-Out to a small JBL Go portable speaker. Sounds fine.
Connected the N3 to the JBL Go via bluetooth. Sounds fine.

It's a very nice compact device

I need to use it now for a few days to see what I think of the sound quality, but I'm impressed.

Thanks for the patience from everyone as I've been rambling on about gapless playback for the last couple of weeks. :)

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #2,046 of 6,262
I've had the N3 a couple of hours now and it's fully charged so I've tried out a few things.

Paired the N3 (Bluetooth) with my iPhone and played music from Spotify through the N3.

Connected the N3 via the HO/Line-Out socket with Line-Out selected to the analogue input of a Naim Unitiqute and it sounds fine.
Switched the socket to HO vice Line-Out, set the volume to 90 and it sounded fine.

I need to use it now for a few days to see what I think of the sound quality, but I'm impressed.

Thanks for the patience from everyone as I've been rambling on about gapless playback for the last couple of weeks. :)

Thanks Brian, look forward to your subjective tests. I've been listening to it on and off for a day now on my P7s and from what I'm hearing it's producing the best sound out of any of my playback devices (desktop DAC/AMPs included). Remarkable. More to follow.

May 24, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #2,047 of 6,262
Anyone having problems with the N3 connected to a PC for use as a USB DAC?

The laptop is running Win10 and the player is footbar 2000. I had this working without issues with the i5.

When making the connection between the N3 and the laptop, the N3 display window shows a record/tonearm representation and says "44KHz/24Bits" and doesn't play. Or sometimes, it plays with a lot of noise going on. Fiddling with the cable going into the USB-C brings the audio in/out but with lots of static....

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #2,048 of 6,262
Anyone having problems with the N3 connected to a PC for use as a USB DAC?

The laptop is running Win10 and the player is footbar 2000. I had this working without issues with the i5.

When making the connection between the N3 and the laptop, the N3 display window shows a record/tonearm representation and says "44KHz/24Bits".
Is that correct?

Have you switched the USB mode to DAC (in System Settings)? It wasn't on by default on my N3.

May 24, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #2,049 of 6,262
Yes, selected "DAC" in settings. It's a bit disconcerting that after moving from "USB" to "DAC" you don't get to do anything, such as "enter" or similar to appear to actually set a selection. I'm assuming it is simply set when it is displayed.

After re-installing the driver software and also foobar I'm now getting music from it as a DAC but there is much crackling going on in the background.

May 24, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #2,050 of 6,262
20170524_095156.jpg

Hey all! Whatcha think of Cayin N3 Musictek leather case?
Its got slits on all buttons left and right

Attachments

• 20170524_094810_HDR.jpg
    20170524_094810_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
May 24, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #2,051 of 6,262
Yes, selected "DAC" in settings. It's a bit disconcerting that after moving from "USB" to "DAC" you don't get to do anything, such as "enter" or similar to appear to actually set a selection. I'm assuming it is simply set when it is displayed.

After re-installing the driver software and also foobar I'm now getting music from it as a DAC but there is much crackling going on in the background.

Yes, once it shows 'DAC' it's set to DAC. It toggles between DAC and USB (which I assume is USB audio out). Sorry to hear about your crackling issues and constant reboots. I don't use Windows so perhaps others can chime in here, but my Mac instantly recognized the N3 as a DAC once I toggled the USB mode, and the output from my limited test (playing a DSD of War of the Worlds through Audirvana 3) was nothing short of exceptional. Best rendition of one of my all-time favorite albums since I first heard it back in the 80s!

May 24, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #2,052 of 6,262

I think you'll find it sounds better after a few days. No explanation as I don't subscribe to dap burn-in but it sure seems to sound better

May 24, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #2,054 of 6,262
Yeah, Windows can be a pain for USB DAC. I also use a Mac and can't think of a time I've had issues using a DAP as a USB DAC.

Glad others are confirming not only N3's gapless ability but also how finicky gapless can be. Perhaps I've got the magic touch when ripping my gapless albums because I very rarely run into issues. I use XLD on my MacBook Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back