Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Apr 2, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #2,761 of 3,701
I have the X5III and both HPs. Both HPs sounds great with the X5III. P7 more analog sounding the 1770 has bass, bigger sound stage, real life like vocals but tends to be a bit colder sounding (not in a bad way). P7 easier to use on the go but 1770 isolates a lot better.

Apr 3, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #2,762 of 3,701
I have the X5III and both HPs. Both HPs sounds great with the X5III. P7 more analog sounding the 1770 has bass, bigger sound stage, real life like vocals but tends to be a bit colder sounding (not in a bad way). P7 easier to use on the go but 1770 isolates a lot better.

Thanks for the info 
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #2,763 of 3,701

Just wondering what is "dry" sound? What would be examples of headphones with a "wet" sound instead?

I'd call the DT-1770 very clinical, which is not surprising considering it seems to be designed as a monitoring headphone. Relatively neutral sound, tons of detail and clarity, but lacking a bit in "emotion", for want of a better term. I can see why Beyer came out with the Amiron -- adding some "fun" to the DT-1990. 

I recently got the EM-U Teaks, which don't have quite the power or detail (or indeed soundstage) of the DT-1770, yet can be a much more enjoyable and relaxing listen for many types of music. They have more of that "emotion" factor IMO, which overrides their flaws. 

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #2,764 of 3,701
I'd call the DT-1770 very clinical, which is not surprising considering it seems to be designed as a monitoring headphone. Relatively neutral sound, tons of detail and clarity, but lacking a bit in "emotion", for want of a better term. I can see why Beyer came out with the Amiron -- adding some "fun" to the DT-1990. 

I recently got the EM-U Teaks, which don't have quite the power or detail (or indeed soundstage) of the DT-1770, yet can be a much more enjoyable and relaxing listen for many types of music. They have more of that "emotion" factor IMO, which overrides their flaws. 
Agree but a slight EQ and it changes.

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #2,765 of 3,701

This really shows how personal sound is. I find the DT 1770 and DT 1990 very musical and fun headphones to listen to, especially the DT 1990, I think I must really enjoy the sound, maybe the tactility and power of the sound is what I enjoy, a lot of people actually find the DT 1770/1990 euphoric and musical. I find they manage to be detailed and fun at the same time. The Amiron is more laid-back and relaxed with some of the edges rounded off, it conveys certain emotions better such as sadness and calm and some of the more subtle emotions better, but for more happy, upbeat, aggressive, angry, etc. music, I'd take the DT 1770/1990 anyday as I don't find the Amiron to properly convey those emotions in comparison. I wouldn't really call the Amiron all that fun, rather I would call it soothing.

The DT 1770/1990 and Amiron really don't sound all that alike, they present sound quite differently while you can definitely tell the DT 1770 and DT 1990 are more similarly tuned. I don't find the sound of the Amiron to compete for head-time with the DT 1770 or DT 1990 at all. While my DT 1770 is largely ignored because of the DT 1990.

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #2,766 of 3,701
I also find my 1770 plenty fun to listen to... I listen to lots of EDM. Bass is tight/bouncy and punchy, imaging throws sounds all over the soundstage, detail is really good, but they don't fatigue me. I tend to really like warm tilted monitor type cans, which basically seems to be the 1770 in a nutshell. They sort of remind me a bit of my EPH-100 IEM's which I also love and was looking for that detailed monitor type sound in a full sized can.

I do kinda get where someone might say they sound a little clinical though too, in the sense that there is some dryness and they overall stay pretty tightly controlled/clean with some great detail retrieval. I don't mind that slightly clinical character, and appreciate the details this headphone pulls out of recordings.

I listen to music for enjoyment and the DT1770 gives me that. It gives a powerful tight punchy bass with extension, good imaging/soundstage, and detail retrieval in a fully sealed package. I only have 2 closed backs, this being one of them. It is one of my favorite closed cans.

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #2,767 of 3,701
I also find my 1770 plenty fun to listen to... I listen to lots of EDM. Bass is tight/bouncy and punchy, imaging throws sounds all over the soundstage, detail is really good, but they don't fatigue me. I tend to really like warm tilted monitor type cans, which basically seems to be the 1770 in a nutshell. They sort of remind me a bit of my EPH-100 IEM's which I also love.

I do kinda get where someone might say they sound a little clinical though too, in the sense that there is some dryness and they overall stay pretty tightly controlled/clean with some great detail retrieval. I don't mind that slightly clinical character, and appreciate the details this headphone pulls out of recordings.

I listen to music for enjoyment and the DT1770 gives me that. It gives a powerful tight punchy bass with extension, good imaging/soundstage, and detail retrieval in a fully sealed package. I only have 2 closed backs, this being one of them. 
Spot on.

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #2,768 of 3,701
I also find my 1770 plenty fun to listen to... I listen to lots of EDM. Bass is tight/bouncy and punchy, imaging throws sounds all over the soundstage, detail is really good, but they don't fatigue me. I tend to really like warm tilted monitor type cans, which basically seems to be the 1770 in a nutshell. They sort of remind me a bit of my EPH-100 IEM's which I also love and was looking for that detailed monitor type sound in a full sized can.

I listen to music for enjoyment and the DT1770 gives me that. It gives a powerful tight punchy bass with extension, good imaging/soundstage, and detail retrieval in a fully sealed package. I only have 2 closed backs, this being one of them. It is one of my favorite closed cans.

Agreed, I also listen to a lot of EDM. The DT 1770 and DT 1990 are both on the dry side but aren't fatiguing and have a certain euphony to them. And both are amazing for EDM, in fact some the best I've come across. The Amiron is actually on the wetter side, its one of the more wet sounding Beyers I've heard, the Amiron has the euphony too but doesn't like to show itself as often. Also one may think these three headphones have the same drivers, yes they use what looks like the same drivers with the same dampening on the drivers themselves, but they are all tuned differently. If you swap the drivers of any of them you will get a different sound and it isn't quite right, the drivers are tuned to their housing and pads basically.

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #2,769 of 3,701
I have too many head phones so I have a two week old DT1770 Pro for sale with a extra 1.5M Japanese cable for sale.

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #2,772 of 3,701
Apr 5, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #2,773 of 3,701
  This really shows how personal sound is. I find the DT 1770 and DT 1990 very musical and fun headphones to listen to, especially the DT 1990, I think I must really enjoy the sound, maybe the tactility and power of the sound is what I enjoy, a lot of people actually find the DT 1770/1990 euphoric and musical. I find they manage to be detailed and fun at the same time. The Amiron is more laid-back and relaxed with some of the edges rounded off, it conveys certain emotions better such as sadness and calm and some of the more subtle emotions better, but for more happy, upbeat, aggressive, angry, etc. music, I'd take the DT 1770/1990 anyday as I don't find the Amiron to properly convey those emotions in comparison. I wouldn't really call the Amiron all that fun, rather I would call it soothing.

The DT 1770/1990 and Amiron really don't sound all that alike, they present sound quite differently while you can definitely tell the DT 1770 and DT 1990 are more similarly tuned. I don't find the sound of the Amiron to compete for head-time with the DT 1770 or DT 1990 at all. While my DT 1770 is largely ignored because of the DT 1990.

I sorta agree, but I'd call the DT-1770 "energetic" rather than "fun". I guess I classify "fun" as a more u-shaped response (why I got the EM-Us). The Beyers seem flatter in the mids. They are my go-to headphones for EDM (that bass can really slam) and some rock, but the mids can just be too in-my-face for some other types of music -- any rock music that's recorded with too little bass in the mix can sound far too brittle and aggressive, for example, unless EQed.

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #2,774 of 3,701
Hi guys, how does 1770 pro stand against 1990 pro in fidelity and dynamic? I ask it because there are mixed reviews and opinions about this two models. I've heard somewhere in which the reviewer said that to him despite the open back design 1990 pro sounds a bit compressed and narrow compared to 1770 pro(which is contrary to the rule of thump). Now i have 1770 pro with serial no 82XX. Is there any difference between my pair and early ones with lower serial no? I mean i wanna know if there is a touch of improvement in sound refinement such as improving the bloated and slow bass, etc. Of course i'm compeletly satisfied with the 1770, but is it resonable to have 1990 beside 1770 for someone who has DT 880 PRO / 250 Ohm already(like me)?
I'm always using the 1770 only with velour earpad and can't hear any fault. But it's always a torture for me when i look at negative comments specially on amazon while i don't see much negative comments about 1990.

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #2,775 of 3,701
  Hi guys, how does 1770 pro stand against 1990 pro in fidelity and dynamic? I ask it because there are mixed reviews and opinions about this two models. I've heard somewhere in which the reviewer said that to him despite the open back design 1990 pro sounds a bit compressed and narrow compared to 1770 pro(which is contrary to the rule of thump). Now i have 1770 pro with serial no 82XX. Is there any difference between my pair and early ones with lower serial no? I mean i wanna know if there is a touch of improvement in sound refinement such as improving the bloated and slow bass, etc. Of course i'm compeletly satisfied with the 1770, but is it resonable to have 1990 beside 1770 for someone who has DT 880 PRO / 250 Ohm already(like me)?
I'm always using the 1770 only with velour earpad and can't hear any fault. But it's always a torture for me when i look at negative comments specially on amazon while i don't see much negative comments about 1990.

Just wait till the DT1880 Pro that will probably come out later this year -- this will be the most iconic model imo since the DT880 was also the most iconic of the prior generation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back