AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Jul 28, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #601 of 2,529
I ordered Hybrid Pads from Audioquest directly and what I received were the Boost Pads :neutral_face:. It's been interesting comparing these to the US pads which came with my Nightowl, and I can't say I like the boost pads. Too much treble, not worth the bass "boost". The US are also much comfier imo. Now it's time to order the hybrid pads, for real, and I'm expecting it to be just what I've been wanting.

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #602 of 2,529
I ordered Hybrid Pads from Audioquest directly and what I received were the Boost Pads :neutral_face:. It's been interesting comparing these to the US pads which came with my Nightowl, and I can't say I like the boost pads. Too much treble, not worth the bass "boost". The US are also much comfier imo. Now it's time to order the hybrid pads, for real, and I'm expecting it to be just what I've been wanting.
I'm sorry that happened. Did you use the name HPEARPAD, that is the order name for the Hybrid pads. Got mine in today. Love the bass, love the treble, don't NEED an amp with bass boost anymore. On another note, if you have Nightowl, didn't you receive Boost pads as well? I was using Boost for modern, and US for instrument based music. Hybrid handles it all. Great bass when the music calls for it, great mids, sparkly but not boosted treble. How I love these cans with the Hybrid pads

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #603 of 2,529
So just as an experiment I actually found a necessary use for the boost pads. For the first time, I've used my Nightowl sans DFR. Source being my Samsung Galaxy S8. Everything was just recessed using the hybrid pads, which I love so much. Switching to the boost pads, the Nightowl sounds MUCH better through my phone. Not the way I would want to listen as my DFR kills the Galaxy S8, space, width, depth, detail. DFR too bright for Boost pads. Galaxy S8 needs the treble boost to bring the music back to acceptable sound signature. The changeable pads really do make these headphones able to get the best out of whatever sound signature your source is providing. The versatility is appreciated, as we listen on various different sources. They just should have included all 3 sets of pads

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #604 of 2,529
I'm sorry that happened. Did you use the name HPEARPAD, that is the order name for the Hybrid pads. Got mine in today. Love the bass, love the treble, don't NEED an amp with bass boost anymore. On another note, if you have Nightowl, didn't you receive Boost pads as well? I was using Boost for modern, and US for instrument based music. Hybrid handles it all. Great bass when the music calls for it, great mids, sparkly but not boosted treble. How I love these cans with the Hybrid pads

I'll make sure to tell them that, thanks! I bought mine for a killer deal which meant it only came with US pads. Even after purchasing 2 sets of earpads I'll still have spent less than $500.

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #605 of 2,529
I'll make sure to tell them that, thanks! I bought mine for a killer deal which meant it only came with US pads. Even after purchasing 2 sets of earpads I'll still have spent less than $500.
Interesting, depending on what genres of music you listen to, ypuay not have beenissimg too much as far as sound is concerned. But let give you this much. The hybrid pads pretty much have the same top end of the US pads, and to my ears, do to the fact that teble isn't boosted, the low end is even better than the boost pads. Better soundstage too. Out of curiosity. What is your music source, or DAC being used?

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #606 of 2,529
Out of curiosity, how does the sound of the NO's compare with either the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow or Sony MDR-Z7? Any input would be very much appreciated.

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #607 of 2,529
Out of curiosity, how does the sound of the NO's compare with either the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow or Sony MDR-Z7? Any input would be very much appreciated.

Aeon is brighter and drier sounding with a bit more clarity. NO is warmer, lusher and has a bigger soundstage.

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #609 of 2,529
To echo what pinky said, the aeon is more analytical and the nightowl is more musical. I think the Aeon has the bigger soundstage however, it's my go to headphone when playing games.

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #610 of 2,529
To echo what pinky said, the aeon is more analytical and the nightowl is more musical. I think the Aeon has the bigger soundstage however, it's my go to headphone when playing games.

Thank you.

Aug 13, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #611 of 2,529
Interesting, depending on what genres of music you listen to, ypuay not have beenissimg too much as far as sound is concerned. But let give you this much. The hybrid pads pretty much have the same top end of the US pads, and to my ears, do to the fact that teble isn't boosted, the low end is even better than the boost pads. Better soundstage too. Out of curiosity. What is your music source, or DAC being used?
Mostly it's straight out of my iPhone 6s+. Sometimes with my ifi black label at the desktop.

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #612 of 2,529
I've been enjoying Audioquest Nightowl's with my Schiit Jotunheim for the last 1/2 year or so. Would be very interested to hear impressions of the Focal Elear vs the Audioquest Nightowl.

Aug 14, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #613 of 2,529
I've been enjoying Audioquest Nightowl's with my Schiit Jotunheim for the last 1/2 year or so. Would be very interested to hear impressions of the Focal Elear vs the Audioquest Nightowl.

Even though it is comparing apples to oranges, I would also like to know how the NO's compare with the Focal Elear.

Aug 14, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #614 of 2,529
An elear comparison with the nightowl would be awesome.

Aug 14, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #615 of 2,529
Even though it is comparing apples to oranges, I would also like to know how the NO's compare with the Focal Elear.

The Elear is the only other headphone I considered buying when I bought the Nightowl. Got the Nigthowl because it was almost $400 cheaper, and great reviews. . Still.... would love to listen to the Elear. The Elear reviews praise the separation and clarity. Love the seperation and lows of my Nightowl's, Still would be nice to compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back