Audio-gd NFB-28
Jul 7, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #1,831 of 2,104
Try this free download from the 2L label: http://www.lindberg.no/hires/test/2L50SACD_tr1_DXD_stereo.zip . I get crackling with this file when played back at its native sampling rate of 352.2. Downsampling to 44.1 causes the crackling to go away. Be careful with the volume. You might be tempted to increase it to hear the crackling at the beginning of the track, but it gets loud when the music starts at 00:04!

There are many other free hi-res downloads at http://www.2l.no/hires/

I received my NFB 28.38 today and had absolutely no issues with the file you linked via USB/Optical. How are you connecting the NFB to your PC? Is it the Amanero? are you running Windows 10?

Buying audio-gd stuff means no future update.
Been there before.

What's there to update when the product works as intended? Kingwa has already stated the units have gone through extensive hours of testing before being shipped. If you really plan on upgrading in the near future then it might make more sense to go for the separate NFB1 AMP/DAC instead of the AIO.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #1,832 of 2,104
I received my NFB 28.38 today and had absolutely no issues with the file you linked via USB/Optical. How are you connecting the NFB to your PC? Is it the Amanero? are you running Windows 10?

What's there to update when the product works as intended? Kingwa has already stated the units have gone through extensive hours of testing before being shipped. If you really plan on upgrading in the near future then it might make more sense to go for the separate NFB1 AMP/DAC instead of the AIO.

Win & Mac dont get updated over time?

And we dont all know about China QC??

Jul 7, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #1,833 of 2,104
Win & Mac dont get updated over time?

And we dont all know about China QC??

You do not need drivers for Mac 10.6+ as stated on their website.

"NO Drivers needed for Mac OSX 10.6+ and Linux with UAC2 compliant kernel."

Windows drivers linked on website support up to W10 64bit.

As far as QC, my NFB 28.38 arrived yesterday and it was literally flawless. If you receive a product that has an issue, all audio-gd products include a 10 year warranty which covers it for any repairs free of charge so you would simply ship it back.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Warranty-EN.htm

So I'm really not sure what you are trying to complain about when the support is clearly there.

Jul 7, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #1,834 of 2,104
I had some time ago a Jotunheim for my 800s. Hoped to spare som money - but its exactly the kind of digital sound i hate.
Loud but very harsh. Not easy for me to explain in english.
Now ich have the 28.38 - this is fine - also better than my Oppo HA1.

I had red this about the Jot before i ve bought it - but as so often - my hope was stronger than my brain.

Jul 7, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #1,835 of 2,104
I had some time ago a Jotunheim for my 800s. Hoped to spare som money - but its exactly the kind of digital sound i hate.
Loud but very harsh. Not easy for me to explain in english.
Now ich have the 28.38 - this is fine - also better than my Oppo HA1.

I had red this about the Jot before i ve bought it - but as so often - my hope was stronger than my brain.

Glad you like it. I heard the same issues about the Jot which is why I went with the NFB 28.38 instead and I have no regrets. Worth every penny =)

Jul 7, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #1,836 of 2,104
You do not need drivers for Mac 10.6+ as stated on their website.

"NO Drivers needed for Mac OSX 10.6+ and Linux with UAC2 compliant kernel."

Windows drivers linked on website support up to W10 64bit.

As far as QC, my NFB 28.38 arrived yesterday and it was literally flawless. If you receive a product that has an issue, all audio-gd products include a 10 year warranty which covers it for any repairs free of charge so you would simply ship it back.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Warranty-EN.htm

So I'm really not sure what you are trying to complain about when the support is clearly there.

It is your money, I dont really care.

I am not going to buy anything from this company.

ps. You sure it will still work after the MS Sept upgrade 8))

Jul 8, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #1,837 of 2,104
It is your money, I dont really care.

I am not going to buy anything from this company.

ps. You sure it will still work after the MS Sept upgrade 8))

Of course it will work, the update in september is still Windows 10. Also, audio-gd has never maintained the USB driver. They host the exact same driver as posted on the official Amanero website.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Amanerodriver.rar
https://amanero.com/drivers/combo384_drivers_w10_1062.zip

Both links are identical drivers.

Jul 9, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #1,838 of 2,104
Thanks for let me know that there is a win10 1062 version driver. My NFB-29H no longer hangs when I rebooted the PC with power on. I am still using Audio GD Reference 5 DAC with the ROC amp. Still in good working condition and runs on the latest Win10 version.

Jul 9, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #1,839 of 2,104
Thanks for let me know that there is a win10 1062 version driver. My NFB-29H no longer hangs when I rebooted the PC with power on. I am still using Audio GD Reference 5 DAC with the ROC amp. Still in good working condition and runs on the latest Win10 version.

No problem :) Just keep watch on the Amanero website directly in future for drivers as audio-gd just repacks it.

Jul 19, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #1,842 of 2,104
Hi GodsInHeaven,

I agree with You about the NFB-28. A significant lift of it's performance was done late 2015. It was still with the ES9018-chip. Sounds fantastic for its price. The NFB-28.38 uses the ES9038Pro chip and it pushes the boundaries a bit more towards the higher segments.

Your question isn't that easy to answer because of the NFB-28.38 very high standards. Yes, of course there are superior gears out there but You have to higher the dollars a number of times to top it. If You chose to stay with Audio-gd I suggest You to go for the Master 9 (Pre- and HP-amp) and a dedicated dac. NFB.7.XX or the new flagship R2R-7. If You only use the preamp-part there is the Master-1. As You can see on Audio-gd's website, these gears are more dollars.... But this is the fact when climbing higher up this path. I still think the money is well spent if You have them and have
a true dedication to the musiclistening. If You want to go with a lower limit, go for the new NFB-28.38 with TCXO-upgrade. You will not be disappointed either way.

Good luck! /Jan

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #1,843 of 2,104
I have a used Sennheiser HD800 on its way to me. How does our beloved NFB-28 handle that notoriously picky headphone?

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #1,844 of 2,104
I have a used Sennheiser HD800 on its way to me. How does our beloved NFB-28 handle that notoriously picky headphone?

Turns out this setup is beautiful. :D

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #1,845 of 2,104

I'm currently using the NFB 28.38 with HD800 and love it =) I'm no audiophile expert but it was a drastic difference from what I was using. Would love to hear your thoughts on it if you are able to compare the setup against others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back