AKG K812 Pro
Jun 17, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #4,186 of 4,825
When I see comments like this,

“The HD 700 is crap in my book. Maybe not as bad as the T1 or K812, but it's in that group of ear bleeders.”

I’m almost lead to believe that some may indeed suffer from a rare form on tinnitus.

Now I’m the first to admit that my aging ears hear little above 12,000 which may be a good thing but some who have extended hearing but damaged may suffer from this rare occurrence, they do not experience ringing when there is no sound, the normal form of tinnitus but experience intolerable discomfort whenever there is an abundance of any high frequencies at a certain threshold which they will perceive as unbearable distortion or "harsh uncontrolled frequency response" even though those with normal hearing find it totally acceptable, non-problematical, normal.

Well now I now why I like the K812s cause I really appreciated the HD700s …it’s true…lol…

Getting back to my week with the 812s…the more I listen the more I discover

....Edgard Vareses’s …“The Varese Album” with the Columbia Symphony Orchestra conducted by Robert Craft…now I’ve had this recording for over forty years on vinyl and CD but listening through with the K812s brought me all that closer to the performance and a much better insight to the recording, more so again, than my HD800S…

And my own Homage in 1983 to the man …: )

oh..and the mixing was with a a pair of AKG K240DFs : )

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #4,187 of 4,825
Some people listen to very low quality recordings/genres, more so some of them listen to music at very loud levels. Those normally hate any type of relatively bright headphone.
I've appreciated some of HD700's qualities, especially at its current price point but ultimately I've found the tonality a bit odd for my preferences. I guess it has to do with the recessed uper midrange and too much going on close to the 5kHz region. I've found it coloured, not harsh, but then again I normally pick high quality recordings and listen at moderate levels.

I much prefer K812's tonality over HD700's tonality.

Jun 18, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #4,189 of 4,825
That's the thing about this hobby...or any hobby actually... I actually preferred the 700s over the HD6s series
But the HD700s were an odd fish…at least for Sennheiser…….. I quite enjoyed them and probably due to age was never bothered by the highs or any spikes...had a few moments of having the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end and had a real sense of being in the recording booth…my 600s, 650 and 6xxs just never did it for me.

Back to the 812s…entertainment wise I’m still preferring the HD800S but interestingly if I may dare say so there does appear to be a very (very) slight veil (lol) in comparison to the 812s, the AKG giving me ever so lightly more spatial/depth reference between performers and delicate instrumentation but nothing I would notice without a direct comparison.

The 812 IMHO make an excellent tool and if I was still working in the studio I’d get a pair lickety split, comfort wise I actually prefer them over the 800s so if a reasonable priced pair happens to cross my path I’d most likely grab Em…these unfortunately will be going back to their owner shortly…

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #4,190 of 4,825
Giving Yello's "Zebra" a spin the 812s were once more the more coherent over the 800S, imaging IMHO was again that much tighter on the AKGs but slightly diffused on the Senns which may be preferable by some as they sound a bit fuller. On the other hand John Surman's live album "Invisible Nature" with Jack DeJohnette sounded more appealing with the 800S...
So a little bit conflicting, guess I'll just need to pick up my own pair of 812s sooner than later. : )

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #4,191 of 4,825
Funny...used Senns own HD800 demo cd and nailed it on the K812s.... so went ahead with a slightly used Austrian made pair all for my own......I'll do a direct compare once they get here, hopefully they're identical.
one can check out some of the tracks on youtube....lower res but not too bad.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #4,194 of 4,825
not a great deal. I'll hopefully re-audition K812 at the head-fi meet in SF next month. My last encounter was not complimentary, but I'd like to give them another shot. I really can only justify bringing two headphones, and since I've gotten K1000 and HE-6, because of their awesome power requirements, they have been the default choices. But HD800 would naturally be a better comparison. Then again, it's likelier to be on hand.

Sep 4, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #4,195 of 4,825
Who knows where I can find a 1 to 1.2 meter cable for the AKG K812?

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #4,197 of 4,825
Listening to my K812 Pros tonight with my FiiO X5 Mk III --> Hugo 2 and Jazz at the Pawnshop Vol. 3. These headphones are so effortless and transparent; just great sounding flagships IMO!

Sep 12, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #4,199 of 4,825

Users who are viewing this thread

Back