AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 27, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #2,161 of 5,483
Overpriced cable if you ask me.

Yeah I know I go against the grain.

I'm just sick of seeing these cool looking cables, then I see the price and it's like a big middle finger. You ever walk into a professional studio? Ask about the cables if you ever get a chance, find out what was paid for them. You might be surprised to find that it is by far the least important component in the signal chain.

If they used the types of cables we audiophiles want to use, there would be no more money left for the mixing board, the monitors, the preamps, poweramps, instruments...

Look, this cable madness has to end somewhere, and if no where else, it ends with my wallet - which bruised as it is from all these amps and headphones and speakers, will never be significantly used for friggin' cables.

If they look cool, get them. Know that they are probably a minor upgrade from most stock cables, and you are paying for less than 5% increase at best unless your stock cables were really ****ty or too thin (high resistance), and you are mostly buying for looks because my goodness they are beautiful.

Okay, thank you for your time, your attention is appreciated. Carry on, now. :)

Even in pro studio they r not hearing what they r really doing. Maybe some serious studio with TAD speaker like AIR is doing good job.

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #2,162 of 5,483
Jun 27, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #2,163 of 5,483
Jun 27, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #2,164 of 5,483
I see many people say good thing about norneaudio cables > look like the best money can get.

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/...y-MDR-z7-Sennheiser-hd800-lcd-xc-2-3-fazor-3f
If you buy into spending a high percentage of the cost of your headphones on cables... and from reports, Norne are hard to beat. I tend to agree with a previous poster... maybe to the lack of time/energy or hearing acuity... Spending this kind of money on cables is a waste for me.

Cables that are mechanically well constructed and meet my requirements for length are just fine.

I have a set of the HE 1000 v1 headphones. They were circa $2500 new. People on that thread are talking the virtues of cables closing on 50% or more of that cost.

That blows my mind..it really does. But if it makes them, or you (the indefinite you) happy...have at it!

Maybe people can actually hear the differences, maybe it is expectation bias... Who would buy $2000 dollar cables ( or even $200 dollar cables for a $250 headphone) and say they sound bad?
Anyway, to say that all stock cables are crap, as one did, seems a bit illogical to me. Manufacturers WANT their headphones to sound good on receipt. Sure they will have some cost constraints, but I doubt that any of the mid to high tier folks will give you crap... really.

Yes spending that kind of money for cables is a waste of hard earned funds for me as. Please do as you will to be happy...
An old adage that my father used to use all of the time... not saying I absolutely agree with it.. It went like this..
"A fool an his money are soon departed"..
(Though it applies to me in many cases, witness the HE1000, or the other 20 sets of headphones that I own. just not outrageously priced cables)

:gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #2,165 of 5,483
I see many people say good thing about norneaudio cables > look like the best money can get.

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/...y-MDR-z7-Sennheiser-hd800-lcd-xc-2-3-fazor-3f
Norne audio is not good. Bad experiences with them.
If you buy into spending a high percentage of the cost of your headphones on cables... and from reports, Norne are hard to beat. I tend to agree with a previous poster... maybe to the lack of time/energy or hearing acuity... Spending this kind of money on cables is a waste for me.

Cables that are mechanically well constructed and meet my requirements for length are just fine.

I have a set of the HE 1000 v1 headphones. They were circa $2500 new. People on that thread are talking the virtues of cables closing on 50% or more of that cost.

That blows my mind..it really does. But if it makes them, or you (the indefinite you) happy...have at it!

Maybe people can actually hear the differences, maybe it is expectation bias... Who would buy $2000 dollar cables ( or even $200 dollar cables for a $250 headphone) and say they sound bad?
Anyway, to say that all stock cables are crap, as one did, seems a bit illogical to me. Manufacturers WANT their headphones to sound good on receipt. Sure they will have some cost constraints, but I doubt that any of the mid to high tier folks will give you crap... really.

Yes spending that kind of money for cables is a waste of hard earned funds for me as. Please do as you will to be happy...
An old adage that my father used to use all of the time... not saying I absolutely agree with it.. It went like this..
"A fool an his money are soon departed"..
(Though it applies to me in many cases, witness the HE1000, or the other 20 sets of headphones that I own. just not outrageously priced cables)

:gs1000smile:
I don't have much experience with headphone cable except Meze 99 Classic because i only go with iems. I used to own Campfire Vega, Noble K10 Encore , right now 64Audio U12 Apex and AAW W900 is building. All of them are totl iems and their stock cables are suck. You can check their threads and see no one use stock cable. Stock cables is jus so so for me.
Spending money for cable is waste for you, but for ppl like me it's not. Cus i can hear different. Like i said even just a tiny bit better, i will buy it. When i like something, i don't mind to spend more money to make it better.

Jun 28, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #2,166 of 5,483
I'm liking them for metal, but I like Etys and 701s for metal, and now prefer the detail and dynamics of HE-500 to the dark boxiness of the LCD-2. At the moment they're a little hollow in the bass and not quite tight enough, but I've only been using them at work from a little iBasso, and haven't plugged them into anything serious. They sound like a bit more power will help.

I love the low leakage at work.

It looks like those Maiden hi-res tracks are a wasted opportunity (par for the course).
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/81899-iron-maiden-19-albums-remastered-in-24-bit/
http://www.metal-fi.com/eddie-goes-high-res/ (comments)

Jun 28, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #2,167 of 5,483
Can you give some ideas on how you feel Aeon compares to Elear, HD6xx and AKG K7xx? I know all the others are open headphones, but since you list all of them on your signature, it would be nice to hear some impressions. Even short ones.

Don't know about K7XX specifically but I've never heard a single AKG headphone that I liked, and that includes the 812. The HD600 is a nicely balanced headphone and great at its price but that driver has gotten really long in the tooth and can't compete with the superior driver performance of the Aeon. Although being a closed back, the Aeon is far more detailed and much superior in top and bottom frequency extension. As for the Elear, both are really good, the Elear probably has an advantage overall but the Aeons are more cohesive in the treble. The dip around 4k on the Elear really became apparent to me with extended listening.

I really like these headphones (with the inserts). No, they're not better than my O2s. But they are the most well-rounded closed backs I've listened to. There is very little to the sound that gives away the fact that these are closed back. The overall balance is almost perfect. There are no frequency anomalies that I can detect, other than what sounds to me like a mild low mid depression. With the foam inserts, it becomes a non-issue and was easily accustomed to with listening. The treble is very, very good and again, coherent, for a driver trapped in a sealed enclosure. Midrange is excellent. Midrange to treble transition is excellent. Maybe slightly forward in the presence region, but I know the Harman reference plot wants it so and it will come down to the recording whether or not it sounds natural. I reacted to it at first as it's different from the O2s but after getting used to them (and burning them in for what that's worth) I've adapted to it.

The bass is great too, it's very well behaved for a closed-back and just about right in level. I do notice a slight bloom and the loss of some bass texture compared to my O2 but it's nothing if you think about how hard it must be to maintain a tight, linear bass response in a closed space prone to resonances at high volumes. For a headphone of this type, bass response is really excellent. I'm just nitpicking here.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #2,169 of 5,483
I pair my Aeon with the RHA dacamp L1, with the bass boosted to +4, gain set to low, with eq in foobar2000 set to zero. So far, these settings have worked for every genre of music I have put through. As my first and probably only pair of planar-magnetic headphones, I am impressed with the quality of build, the light weight, how comfortable the cans are to wear, and how great these cans sound (with a bit of bass boost). I love the fact that I can wear these cans for hours at a time without my ears killing me. I definitely feel like I made a "sound" choice in purchasing the Aeon.

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #2,171 of 5,483
Alright, so it's been a week and some already... I'm new at this but I can say some things about it:
  • Burn-in time is real, it makes a real impact. Whether it's my ears getting accustomed or the headphones actually changing something themselves due to usage, I don't know, but I can notice new sounds in my always-on-the-go songs now, and some of them with more clarity.
  • Unfortunately I cannot do a "blind" test against my Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (pads and clamping would give it away), but I can say that although I've lost the punchy bass, it's not totally lost on the Aeon. Just missing the punchy, overpowering part of it, but now that I've heard my favorite songs over and over, I'm liking what I suppose you call "neutral" results produced by the Aeon. On the same vein... soundstage in gaming is much, much better. Really, really awesome compared to the M50x's.
  • Clamping... hmm, that clamp definitely scares the hell out of you the first like, one or two hours, but after that... that thing is comfortable. I no longer feel such pressure. Not sure if the clamp mechanism just gave in or it was just me getting used to it, but I no longer feel the strong, uncomfortable pressure some of you and I felt at the beginning of the experience.
  • The seal. They prevent leakage (in and out) much better than the M50x's. Since it provides tighter sealing, you can kinda feel the trapped air after a while. Probably have to take them off a bit (not all, just enough to let my ears "breathe") more frequently than the M50x's, but the audio quality makes it worth it.
  • The size. Man, I see people reviews and they look HUGE, but once you open the box, you're like: "Huh? Really?". They are smaller than led to believe by all your pictures with them on. Still bigger than my M50x's, but it's not as much as I thought it would be.
  • Comfort. Really, really comfortable (after the clamping feels better). It was almost 7 hours (at work) + 2 hours daily commute + 2-3 hours at home, and probably 12+ hours some weekends, and I cannot complain at all. I think I kept getting fed up of my M50x because of the overpowering bass, but since that's much better on the Aeon, I'm able to keep them on longer than initially thought.
  • I thought the cable splitter was adjustable, but it isn't. I would have liked it to, but it's not that important. Just better options, specially on portable occasions (commute).
  • Haven't yet installed my Magni 2 Uber and Modi Multibit since I'm planning on moving, and I don't want to get things out and pack again so soon. So far my PC board (Asus Z170-A) internals behave just fine.
It was a wise decision to step up from the M50x. I feel like all of this was really worth it.

I don't think I will ever upgrade beyond this point before actually listening beforehand, but all in all, I'm really, really happy with my purchase.

Thanks MrSpeakers for the product. Keep up the quality and awesome products.

PS: By the way, MrSpeakers, instructions mention I should register my product on your website, but https://mrspeakers.com/register doesn't seem to be working (maybe because of site redesign). Or should I login and then be able to register it? Not even sure what's good about registering it.

FyRuAKn.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #2,172 of 5,483
Out of curiosity, what are the O2s?

I believe he means the Stax Omega II, also commonly known as the SR-007.

Edit: ha weird, I didn't see this had already been answered.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #2,174 of 5,483
Jun 29, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #2,175 of 5,483
Tried Thinoptics didn't stay on my nose. But I am no Cyrano de Bergerac.
This is getting pretty OT, but FWIW I like the Nooz Optics ones. They stay on very well (I am far from a Cyrano myself), and the hard case is very durable but still thin enough to slide into a jeans pocket or whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back