AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 22, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #2,101 of 5,483
Can you please post some impressions after testing the Ember and Sunrise with the AEONs? I am curious what DAC you use it with.

Also, anyone else tried the AEONs with ANY other tube amp? Really looking forward for impressions. Dan mentioned one of the Cavalli amps, but that one is on a different (price) level... :wink:

Lastly, any opinions on the Little Dot Mk3? I read through their (pretty old) thread, and people REALLY like it. It is also very cheap entry to tube ($249 shipped to US).
Sure. If I can get some time to just sit and listen one day. I would be happy to get the Ember out and give it a test drive with the Aeons.

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #2,102 of 5,483
Seeking recommendations... I have been enjoying my AEONs with the iDSD BL, connected to my laptop as source.
I wanted to try out tube amp, and was looking for a desktop tube amp and DAC to pair with the AEONs.
I heard from others that the Little Dot MK3 is a very nice starter tube amp ($250). Anything else in the sub-$500 range I should consider? and what would be a good DAC (input: USB) to be considered? Chord Mojo? Any other sub-$500 DAC (either portable or desktop) I should consider?

I have the DarkVoice 336SE with the RCA 6AS7 and Sylvania Bad Boy. While they sound great with the Elear, HD 6xx, K7xx, and HD 598SE, they are awful with the AEON. I'd stay away from DV for this.

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #2,103 of 5,483
Sure. If I can get some time to just sit and listen one day. I would be happy to get the Ember out and give it a test drive with the Aeons.

Thanks - hope you find the time :)

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #2,104 of 5,483
I have the DarkVoice 336SE with the RCA 6AS7 and Sylvania Bad Boy. While they sound great with the Elear, HD 6xx, K7xx, and HD 598SE, they are awful with the AEON. I'd stay away from DV for this.
Great! Very useful feedback. Will not add DV to my candidate list :)

Jun 22, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #2,105 of 5,483
AeonCable.jpg

My first DIY cable. 10 ft based on Canare L-4E6S. Tried to match the look of the stock Aeon cable.

Jun 22, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #2,106 of 5,483

My first DIY cable. 10 ft based on Canare L-4E6S. Tried to match the look of the stock Aeon cable.
Nice! Just out of curiosity (if you can share): about how much did this run you in terms of materials?

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #2,107 of 5,483
Nice! Just out of curiosity (if you can share): about how much did this run you in terms of materials?

It was all pretty reasonable assuming you have most of the basic tools already

Here's the components list:
--Canare L-4E6S at less than $1 per foot shipped (Performance Audio, or Redco)
--Two MrSpeakers plugs from the MrSpeakers web site (~$18 shipped).
--Neutrik NP3X connector (~$5, lots of places)
For the sleeving, which I think is identical to the stock cable sleeving:
--NMN0.19BK Flexo Nylon Multifilament - 3/16" - Black Splice Free ($13 for 25 ft at WireCare.com)
--NMN0.13BK Flexo Nylon Multifilament - 1/8" - Black Splice Free ($6 for 10 ft)
(Use the 3/16 for the main cable and the 1/8 for the smaller diameter sections after the Y split.)
-- 3:1 adhesive shrink wrap ($12 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C8I15EQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1).
(This is enough to last many years... Needs to be adhesive shrink wrap. I used this to seal the cut ends of the sleeves so they wouldn't fray and to make the Y splitter)

So, for this cable, total materials were ~ $40-45.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #2,108 of 5,483
It was all pretty reasonable assuming you have most of the basic tools already

Here's the components list:
--Canare L-4E6S at less than $1 per foot shipped (Performance Audio, or Redco)
--Two MrSpeakers plugs from the MrSpeakers web site (~$18 shipped).
--Neutrix NP3X connector (~$5, lots of places)
For the sleeving, which I think is identical to the stock cable sleeving:
--NMN0.19BK Flexo Nylon Multifilament - 3/16" - Black Splice Free ($13 for 25 ft at WireCare.com)
--NMN0.13BK Flexo Nylon Multifilament - 1/8" - Black Splice Free ($6 for 10 ft)
(Use the 3/16 for the main cable and the 1/8 for the smaller diameter sections after the Y split.)
-- 3:1 adhesive shrink wrap ($12 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C8I15EQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1).
(This is enough to last many years... Needs to be adhesive shrink wrap. I used this to seal the cut ends of the sleeves so they wouldn't fray and to make the Y splitter)

So, for this cable, total materials were ~ $40-45.
Thank you for sharing all this info! It sounds like you had fun making it! This might inspire me to start making my own cables too. :)

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #2,110 of 5,483
I tried my AEON with Schiit lyr and from Mojo alone. I prefer from the Mojo directly. Lyr does not gives much in terms of bass or dynamic but adds some blur to the sound. AEON is nice pair for Mojo!

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #2,111 of 5,483
I tried my AEON with Schiit lyr and from Mojo alone. I prefer from the Mojo directly. Lyr does not gives much in terms of bass or dynamic but adds some blur to the sound. AEON is nice pair for Mojo!
Are you using the Lyr1 or Lyr 2? Which tubes are you using in your Lyr? I have both the Mojo and Lyr 1 and I think that the Aeon sounds fantastic out of both the Mojo alone and from the Mojo>Lyr. I am using 6N23P Voskod 75' Gray Shield SWGP tubes in my Lyr.

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #2,112 of 5,483
Dan,

Any plan to sell on Amazon like the Ether Flow?

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #2,114 of 5,483
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 23, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #2,115 of 5,483
where's the open versin, btw, don't use any portable devices to enter the MrSPEAKER site, lol...... the site needs to redone, seriously

We're working on the portable version now, the site had a few fairly major issues we had to address, now that the core platform is hunky dory we'll be getting the rendering right on small format devices. Sometimes web rollouts just don't quite go to plan.

:beerchug:

P.S. I guess the new clinking beer mugs are from a micro-brewery.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back