AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 7, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #1,846 of 5,483
was it a pre-production or production model at the show?
since diff earpads might sound a tad different even w/ same drivers.

We're only showing production units.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 7, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #1,847 of 5,483
Can anyone compare Aeons with Beyerdynamics T5p (2nd Gen)? I'm torn between the two. :confused: They are about the same price here.
post 1775 page 119 i discussed this in some depth. long story short i'm leaning every so slightly towards the t5p2, but as i'm getting acclimated to the aeon, the gap is narrowing fast. it's still too early to pick an absolute winner yet though, as the aeon's have not fully burned in, and i'm still getting used to them. the differences between them aren't big, that much i feel comfortable saying now. so if you need an answer now, then i'd just go on price or brand preferences. they're both winners, imo. i've been casually swapping between the two while listening, and i like them both. the beyer is a bit more energetic and raw sounding, the aeon more precise and refined. that's the best way i can sum them up. again, the differences are SMALL.....

Jun 7, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #1,849 of 5,483
I agree that is quite pointless to argue in a polarized debate...
But I would just like to point out that Mr.Speakers uses pleated diaphragms that are the only ones of its kind on the current market (the only other headphone, that I know if, that uses this is the Wharfedale ID-1 from the 70s). This is a fundamentally a different design from your stiff dynamics and normal planars with a static dia. tension. So even if you don’t believe in burn-in for every other headphone you have, these are a whole new thing.

In any case, I'm still on the fence with typical headphone burn-in (although Tyll had an article with a single case of a K701 changing up to 1dB in the bass after burn-in), but I feel more inclined to believe in burn-in for these headphones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 7, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #1,850 of 5,483
OK, these are a different animal. Dan says some run in time is beneficial to allow them to get to the designed for tension. What happened to the idea that the drivers are well run in before the headphones are shipped?
One way or another, the differences may or may not be apparent to any specific listener. So maybe we should all agree to disagree on this subject and move on to other aspects of the Aeon.

BTW, throwing out potentially inflammatory political comments brings nothing to the discussion whatsoever. It likely just serves to further alienate the people with differing opinions. I was always taught that Head-Fi was to remain apolitical.

Jun 7, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #1,851 of 5,483
To those on the fence, here is the important information: The AEONS are OUTSTANDING headphones and an OUTSTANDING value.
Pay the price have the experience. Go straight to www.MrSpeakers, do it now, you won't be disappointed. :)

Spent some time A/B comparing the AEON and Z1R, here's an extract from a different post:

"...do not miss the AEON. I've had the Z1R for ~7 months, the AEONs for a week, now approaching 120 hrs burn. Yes, the Z1R is a notch above, a notch, not a different class or league. The Sony design team deserve respect and applause for the Z1R project, as does Sony Corp. for bringing it to market. No doubt, it will remain a reference point. And then there is Dan Clark at MrSpeakers. A $799 AEON that can be placed side-by-side and not suffer by comparison? There are more similarities than differences. Note: this is with a good DAC and desktop amp. AEON does require a little more power.

To be sure, IMO, the Z1R is superior for soundstage projection, bass, small measure of resolution, and perhaps, tonal balance. The AEON immediately showed a little more energy in the upper mids than the norm would support, something like a performance space that is a little too bright, not awful, just a small amount. Additionally, early in the burn, there was a small amount of glare in the same region, again, just a small amount. At 120 hrs, that small touch of glare is gone, and the upper mid emphasis is reduced.

Both the Z1R and the AEON follow a minimal design aesthetic. No question, the Z1R is at the top of the list for design, materials and execution, a brilliant piece of work. The AEON eliminates any extravagance in materials or assembly but still achieves a level of quality that is a pleasure to see, hold, and use. They are equally comfortable, to the extent that it's easy to forget which one you are wearing."

Jun 7, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #1,854 of 5,483
At some point here we are referring to perception and preference. These lend themselves to many topics out there besides audio, and that proves to me that they are a valuable and variable experience. There is no doubt that my hearing and tastes have changed over my life, and so I continue to satisfy what it is that I prefer.

Jun 7, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #1,858 of 5,483
Hey, looks like the new website is up!

Indeed it is! We'll make a few more changes to clean up the layout in a few places, the photos are a bit dark and a few are yet to be replaced, so we're going to be making a few incremental improvements but they're not urgent. The PR page will be updated with all the recent ÆON coverage over the next few days.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 7, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #1,859 of 5,483
Received my Aeon today - thanks, Dan!

First impression is these are very similar in sound to my Alpha Prime but I'm certainly liking the new form factor - smaller / lighter but actually feel more roomy around my ears :)

Right now I'm hearing a bit of a "hole" in the bottom octave (or so) compared to the Prime, but I *am* a believer in break in, particularly for components with physical, moving parts like speakers and headphones, so I would not be surprised to hear this loosen up over the next few days / weeks. I will still have the Prime, so I can certainly do a 1:1 comparison later and see if they've reached parity.

The midrange and treble sound good right now, maybe a bit "purer" / sweeter than the Prime (though I've loved my Prime for the past two years!), so very pleased with that.

All in all, pleased with my purchase and look forward to growing with these for at least the next couple of years :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #1,860 of 5,483
To those on the fence, here is the important information: The AEONS are OUTSTANDING headphones and an OUTSTANDING value.
Pay the price have the experience. Go straight to www.MrSpeakers, do it now, you won't be disappointed. :)

Spent some time A/B comparing the AEON and Z1R, here's an extract from a different post:

"...do not miss the AEON. I've had the Z1R for ~7 months, the AEONs for a week, now approaching 120 hrs burn. Yes, the Z1R is a notch above, a notch, not a different class or league. The Sony design team deserve respect and applause for the Z1R project, as does Sony Corp. for bringing it to market. No doubt, it will remain a reference point. And then there is Dan Clark at MrSpeakers. A $799 AEON that can be placed side-by-side and not suffer by comparison? There are more similarities than differences. Note: this is with a good DAC and desktop amp. AEON does require a little more power.

To be sure, IMO, the Z1R is superior for soundstage projection, bass, small measure of resolution, and perhaps, tonal balance. The AEON immediately showed a little more energy in the upper mids than the norm would support, something like a performance space that is a little too bright, not awful, just a small amount. Additionally, early in the burn, there was a small amount of glare in the same region, again, just a small amount. At 120 hrs, that small touch of glare is gone, and the upper mid emphasis is reduced.

Both the Z1R and the AEON follow a minimal design aesthetic. No question, the Z1R is at the top of the list for design, materials and execution, a brilliant piece of work. The AEON eliminates any extravagance in materials or assembly but still achieves a level of quality that is a pleasure to see, hold, and use. They are equally comfortable, to the extent that it's easy to forget which one you are wearing."

What are you using to power the Z1R and AEONS? The AEON's will be my first real set of headphones and Z1r's are next on my list based off all the reading I have been doing on the froum. I have not purchased an amp/dac yet as I am waiting for pairing suggestions from everyone.

Just got my shipment notification!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back