65+ Headphones, 7 DAC/Amps & 1 persons opinion. Oh my!
Jul 12, 2017 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

DocSkeekmo

Head-Fier
So I started my journey looking for portable on-ear headphones that would give me a proper sense of tone and musical presence. As you will see, I could not find something that satisfies my needs, although I found some that came close. What has resulted is an insane, obsessive headfirst dive into the world of Can mania!!!!

I have MANY comments after the mini reviews. This is all based on my ears and my tastes and my equipment. I have a thread on Audiogon that has been going for years on very high end DACs and now music servers. So I have a passion for doing this kind of crazy stuff and sharing my journey.

Enjoy the read! I hope it helps other people to make choices and narrow down. I apologize to any manufacturer or dealer who is offended by my opinion!! But it's just MY opinion. Lol.

There are 66 headphones in this list. 2 have not arrived yet but are on order (both are MassDrop sourced and one is the 6XX, and the 650 is in the review list so that's sort of a duplicate). 7 different DAC/amps (portable and desktop) were used, and commented on at the bottom.

A "*" in front of the name means that if I could keep all the ones I liked, this would be a keeper for performance and value!

I'm not a professional reviewer. Sorry for typos. And please understand that this is dozens, if not hundreds, of hours of listening time, thought, note taking, organizing, reviewing, editing and passion.

Beyerdynamics T51i : floppy bass, muddled mids, rolled off highs. Blech. Flimsy.

Kef M500 : sloppy weak bass, warm mids, attenuated highs. Well built.

V-Moda XS : natural bass but lighter then I would prefer, nice mids, bright and shouts when driven hard. Natural sound at normal to low volumes. Amazing form factor. Wanted to love them. If I needed a small pair of easy travel headphones these would be it!! Better for pop/rock then classical.

Master & Dynamic MH30 : great bass and mids, rolled off highs. Felt like a little EQ would make it so right. VERY luxurious. Sound quality was high, but rolled off treble kills them.

Hifiman Edition S : Nice bass and treble, no discernible midrange. These are mini over ears, not on ears. Great form factor.

Sennheiser HD1 : weak bass, flat midrange and rolled off highs. Ok form factor; sorta Blah.

Audeze Sine : bass is a bit wooly, even with the 3db boost given by the USB cable. It's there, but not taught. Mids are lovely. Highs are its downfall. Although properly extended, they are overly bright and shout making these headphones rather fatigueing after time. I really wanted to love these! With some attenuation they would likely be improved. But with on-ears the bass will always be a challenge. I tried to EQ these with the iPhone app but as I talk about later, EQ collapsed the overall synergy of the headphone and I found it tonally better, but distasteful.

V-Moda M-100 : Warm. Base extended and ok but not tight, warm mids, rolled off treble. Sigh. Ears just a bit squished; cups needed to be like 5mm wider and taller. Still, awesome form factor. Like Beats but way better.

*B&O H6 : natural. Proper tone from top to bottom. Just feels a little closed in compared to an open design. VERY good tone and texture. Not punchy. Can get overly bright and fatigueing at higher volumes through the amp. Great for classical. Very light. Simple, sorta boring design, but sound great. Maybe a touch of mid paucity.

Hifiman HE400S : Physically big! I'm Princess Lea AND R2D2 at the same time with these on! Musical. Fast. Engaging. Makes you forget your evaluating headphones at times. Lack sub bass extension and impact. Mids are clear and articulate. High frequency extension is left wanting for more. And yet at times it's a tad shouty and in your ear. Amp sensitive.

Focal Listen : bass a bit sloppy down low and light when expecting weight, low mids slightly over-emphasized, upper mids and lower treble rolls off, brash and shouts with dynamic or high volume passages. Well made.

Master & Dynamic MH40 : base and low midrange too emphasized, upper midrange and treble correct. Beautifully built.

B&W P7 : Wow. Treble and bass with very little midrange . Sound just like most budget B&W speakers....

Audeze iSINE 10 (in ear) : not super comfortable. Nice extension top to bottom. Very well balanced tone . Wee bit bright. Extended lows, but not like a good over ear. Still spilled huge sound, technologically incredible, but sort of an oxy-moron for IEM's. Amazing technological masterpiece, but not for me.

PSB M4U 2 : meh. Doesn't do it for me. With or without power. Same as the others. Base and mids but rolled off treble. And the mids are just ok. The lows are ok but not great. Not my cup of tea. Sort of mediocre.

Oppo PM-3 : On the warm side of neutral. As usual, rolled off up top. But less so then some others, almost even possibly tolerable. Very pleasant sound, could listen all day. But lacked the accuracy and clarity in the higher registers that allows me to feel a proper top to bottom tonal signature; but so close. Like so close it could grow on me and be fine. Form factor is beautiful.

Meze 99 Classic : not neutral as reviewed all over; unless I'm missing something. Bass over stated, but clean and tight. That emphasis extends to the lower midrange; so these are VERY romantic. Upper mids are lovely. But the high frequencies are rather rolled off. They are gorgeous and very well built. Romantic. Makes me want to fall in love. A la'more.......

Mitchell and Johnson MJ1 : strange sound. Disjointed. Felt strange and wrong. Sorry M&J. Didn't work for me.

*Audeze EL-8 closed : nice. Correct. Engaging. Top to bottom properly presented; although a hair bright and tin sounding compared to other closed cans on the Wood (less so on Titanium) version. I think there is a subtle lack of mid that causes the highs to "feel" elevated when they are not, on the standard EL-8C. I think the iPhone Titanium version sounds better but feels heavier( even though the specs say they weigh the same. Maybe differently balanced). Very very nice overall.. Best sound from 3.5mm input through DAC/amp, but very good through lightning cord (just not quit as refined). These get better and better. I do find them very infrequently shrill, fatiguing or shouty, but it happens. Very infrequent sibilance with loud passages. They sound like good open headphones. Need some power to come alive; especially mids. Bass is a slight touch overstated, but only compared to a super neutral headphone like the HD600. Sitting front row baby. Enjoy sitting right in front of that stage. But It feels like a baby sheep is standing on my head; they are heavy. And the headphone sort of rocks side to side when I sway to the music; and because of the tight seal and weight of the headphones it compresses the headphone onto my ears and causes compression which affects tone, which is audible and palpable. Maybe better ear pads would stop that from happening; or simply more brake in of the pads is required. If these were lighter the Titanium version would be practically perfect for the "under $1k range". Wow, when you wear these a nuclear bomb could go off and you wouldn't hear it! Talk about sealed!

AudioQuest NightOwl : warm. Deep base (maybe too much). Warm mids. Rolled off on top. Beautifully made. Pretty comfortable. Open Nighthawk sounds way better. Neither are for me though.

Fostex TH610 : really wanted to like these. Beautiful fit and finish. Same again; nice base but a tad light, warm mids. Not overly stated but correct. Very warm , engaging headphone. But the highs lacked presence and tonality. The top half of men's voices was missing and female vocals lacked.... just lacked.

Shure SRH840 : tonally ok overall. Light on Bass and low mid. Lacks warmth. Accurate. Just lacks mids to shine. Feel cheap. Look cheap. Great value!

Audio-Technica ATH-M40x : Better then 50x. Not as comfortable as 50x. Bass is dead on. Midrange is dead on. Treble is still soft and rolled off to me. Good deal for price, but the 9500 beats it six ways to Sunday in this price range.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x : Beats but better. Not as comfortable as beats. More Bass, warm mids, less treble. Why are these so well reputed??

Fostex T50RP MK3 : Bass and low mid slightly accentuated, mids a tad warmer then they should be, treble just a touch rolled off where I want it to shine (arghhhh!!!). Why must treble be rolled off on almost everything. Comfortable but heavy. So much potential; I can see why people mod them. Replacement ear pads made way more comfortable, didn't change sound much..

Bose QuietComfort 35 : wow, crazy comfortable. More neutral then beats. Not much though. Not worth the money but super comfy.

*Philips SHP9500S : OMG. Super cheap and sound amazing! Just a touch weak on the low end but neutral and tonally proper top to bottom. So refreshing!! Bass has texture and impact but is not over stated. Mids are luscious (maybe a touch warm). Lacks truly taught dynamics and finesse. But better then most else I heard under $300- . Certainly not the last word in accuracy. But for $65- HOLY CRAPBURGERS!!!

*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7GM : Excellent tonal structure; top to bottom. All of everything is there. They tend to be a bit warm in the midrange but certainly not offensively so, and lack the complexity and depth of harmonics that the EL-8 accomplishes. They are a wonderful pair of headphones and sound proper for what they are and try to do. My Musician son chose these as his affordable closed headphone choice to buy.

Sony Z7: quick audition in Best Buy. WARM, BASS, luscious. But rolled off.

AKG Pro Audio K712 PRO : tone is essentially proper and accurate, but slightly on the warm side and very subtly rolled off up top. Ear space is HUGE and the retention system doesn't hold tight enough for small heads; I feel like I have to keep pulling up my pants. The presentation is aggressive and forward. Very good, but not the equal of the 400S or HD600 in regards to subtlety and nuance.

AKG Pro Audio K812 Pro : same as 712 but the retention system is ratcheted so not an issue. Very well built set of cans. Presentation is more laid back and open. Not nearly as aggressive. The sense of openness actually was disorienting and not to my liking. I felt like I was listening to the performer in the middle of a giant warehouse. Not echo'like, just REALLY open. Sub-bass also was light and ill-defined.

Sennheiser HD600 : Yes. Correct. That's it. That's the way it's supposed to sound. Oh, how many songs did I just listen to? Really? Tone - check, texture - check, engaging - check, musical - check, wow - check! Better then the 400S. Bass is proper but light; not exaggerated and sub bass is limited. I eventually had to give back though since I felt like my brains where constantly being squeezed out my ears; the clamping force is SO high. Supposedly this and the 650's vice grip clamp softens over time. Not a * because of the clamp; I know that's stupid. But they were SO uncomfortable !!! If the grip lightened up the they are classic awesome! Pick a 600 or 650, slap them on an elephant's head for a week or three and they should fit better!

Sennheiser HD650 : not as neutral. But the increase soundstage and more extended highs suited my tastes nicely. I like these and the HD600's very much and think they are both WAY better then their price reflects. Aesthetically the 650's are more attractive to me. I just hate their clamp force. It's like their designed to guarantee they won't fall off if attacked by a bear. I wore them for 20 minutes and couldn't wait to rip them off. With that plastic band up top I just don't know how much they would flex and soften over time... but if you know a Witch Doctor who can shrink your head like 20%, then these are run'a'way winners for the under $1200 open competition! Bass is more extended then the 600 and mids have a touch more bloom and flow. I'm going to snag a pair when the next HD-6xx MassDrop drops because.. why not?!!

Phillips X2/27 Fidelio: Similar tonal characters of the 9500S. Retains the same warmth, if not a touch more. Way more low end and it gets a bit sloppy at higher volumes; a touch too much bass for my tastes. But gains that finesse and refinement missing in the 9500S. Music is engaging. Well built and comfortable. Instruments tonal character and integration is presented in a more mature fashion then the 9500S. Not sure if they are worth the price of entry though, I'd rather get a pair of R70x's.

Philips M1mkII : Great On-Ears! Proper tone but a tad light in the midrange and bass properly emphasized and correct. Typical on ear pressurized and confined sound; not bad but it is what it is. Occasionally bright but never shrill. The headband feels of poor construction and is not comfortable, but otherwise correct for value. If the V-Moda's could meet their treble in the middle, these would be the perfect travel headphones! I wanted to give them a * but just couldn't in the end.

Audio Technica Audiophile ATH-AD1000X : fit is poor for my head; they keep sliding down and the ear space is ginormous. Treble is extended and occasionally bordering on, but never actually hits, sharp. Problem is that bass is soft and minimalistic, and mids are also light and minimalistic. It's there, but like someone decided the upper midrange and highs were just more important then the rest.

Audio Technica Audiophile ATH-AD2000X : Stellar top end. Soft mids. Light lows. Non-existent sub-bass. HUGE Cups. Just like the 1000's. They are titled and don't articulate to lay flat on my small head. And the tension on the flappers is not enough to keep them from falling down constantly. I can see the allure for some, but not for me.

*Audio Technica Audiophile ATM-R70x : the Audio Technica that doesn't have the classic AT House sound is my favorite of the bunch. This and the MSR7 are the winners in the AT bunch. Tonal balance is proper and as neutral as AT gets. Musical, engaging. Deep bass, but not seismic. Not quite as taught as some of the higher priced models, but quite satisfying. Not as extended up top as the EL-8C or the TH900, but it gets up there without ever being offensive or bright. There is a hint of shimmer missing from up high that lacks delicacy and definition. They are just a tad laid back for my tastes. But they are so enjoyable that you don't mind. And CRAZY comfortable. It's the perfection of the 1000/2000 paddle design; smaller footprint with tighter tension on the flappers and more egg shaped curve on the headband to keep the pads flat over your ears. Although they belie their $350- price and do SO much right, they lack sub extension, dynamics, impact, refinement and that higher level of sophistication that the top tier $$$ models offer. But at $350- these are AMAZING open cans. From $0 to $300, the 9500's are it for open. But once your in $300- territory the R70 becomes a serious contender or the MSR7 for closed. I may still go back and get a pair just to have them; or wait until MassDrop drops them.

Audio Technica Audiophile ATH-M70X : Treble more rolled off and mids more emphasized. Bass is a tad sloppy compared to the MSR7's. Violin and flute lack natural timbre and tone. They are comfortable but very plastic feeling.

*Fostex TH900: Somewhat balanced from top to bottom. Lows extend to sub bass with ease, but remain taught and well controlled. Wow!!! Bass........ Mids are warm and natural but recessed. It's a "U", not a "V". Feels like there's something subtle lacking in the upper mid's. Not offensively so, but for this price I notice it. Highs extend as they should with amazing detail and subtlety. Dances on the razors edge of sibilance at times; and rarely goes over, but does. Seat position is back more. Maybe row E or F. Not up front. Enjoyable for long listening sessions. Very light and comfortable. The TH900 seams to offer a layer of complexity and texture that the Audeze EL-8C comes close to but doesn't equal. Now we're talking about high level preferences and taste as opposed to frank deficits. Tried the Dekoni EPZ attenuation rings and didn't like them; lost treble resolution without gaining midrange. But the Dekoni earpads make a HUGE difference in subtly diminishing highs and lows, allowing the mids to balance way better. These earpads are an absolute MUST for the 900's! These are top contenders! But in the end, even with new pads I chose to pass and move on. *** these are gone, but I have since modified the attenuation rings and used the ZMF pads, and this adjustment would have truly improved these amazing headphones. Not enough, however to justify the huge difference in price between these and the TH-6xx Purplehearts or Teak.

Sennheiser HD-800s : Oh, so nice. Linear top to sort of bottom. There's bass. I hear it; at least I think I hear it! I know it's there; or is it? It's hiding behind a tree or something; whispering quietly but never fully audible. I'm looking. No sub bass whatsoever. The bass that's there is clean and crisp. Lower Mids are also linearly non-linear. But the upper mids, lower and upper treble are fan-freakin-tastic! It's killing me. I love them but I hate them, but..... but....... Mix the HD-800's and the TH-900's with a touch of HD-600 neutrality in there and the perfect headphone would result. The 800's have soul and detail, but no balls. Where's the bass knob?!?! I wanna turn it up! But they are SO comfortable!!! Can't imagine I would fix everything, but tubes might help. I just don't believe in finding a colored source to mask the headphones or speakers downfalls. *** I have since started the modding thing and would imagine that this particular headphone could truly be improved upon with some TLC modding. Although I can't see increasing the bass to where I think it belongs. If you love these and want more bass but are still ok with not a LOT of bass then look to the Beyerdynamic 1990.

Audeze LCD XC : Oh god! I love the EL-8C! The LCD-XC is going to be mind blowing !!! Ooh, Pelican style packaging.... OMG look at these beasts. They weigh 600+ grams and are SO beautiful!! Ok, just a tad heavy on the head but snug and don't have the pressure seal issues the EL-8C's have. And let's listen...... huh? I don't get it.... Now I truly understand what "V" shaped means. Trebles that are uncomfortable and bass and low mids that's overdone, and no upper mids. Will let them burn in for 24h..... And, nope. Pretty much the same. I guess the higher end Audeze's are where the open cans shine. Sigh. So disappointed. Or is this the curse of the variable performing Audeze's and I got a lesser batch. Not sure. So well reviewed. I will try to listen to them at the next group or show to give them a second chance. I can't imagine this is the best the LCD XC can be; So i hold final judgement for now.

BeyerDynamics T1 Gen2 : reveal subtle complexity and finesse. Musical and engaging. Rolled off bass lacking sub bass harmonics. Also somewhat veiled and lacking sparkle and female vocal sheen; which is strange since EVERYONE describes these as treble excessive. I just don't hear it that way. Very comfortable. Not floating my boat. But I can see why so many people love them. I listened to these again in a store this time, and still heard the same thing. I can see why they say they are treble heavy, but their veiled lower treble/upper mids kills them for me. The 1990 is the winner of this line-up.

Mr. Speaker Ether Flow C : musical and engaging. Nice sub bass and taught bass and lower mids. Mids are warm but not overstated. The upper mids are a touch lean for my tastes, and treble lacks extension. Pizzicato lacks its distinct snap and vocals have a veil. Very good for a closed can and does not sound like the typical closed headphone. The EL-8 (Ti version) is tonally more correct but lacks the maturity and complexity expressed by the EFC. I am a tone psycho and without proper tone nothing else matters. These headphones forced me downstairs to my listening room to compare to my reference system to make sure I wasn't missing something. I'm not; these are so close to awesome but just lack upper extension and natural treble tone to make them world class contenders. The form factor of these and the open Ether Flow make me want to love them to infinity and beyond. But that Veil is killing it for me. Sigh. MrSpeaker, can you make a specially tuned pair that removes the subtle veil and gives me that high end sparkle I want? Pretty please?!?!? Because you, sir, have nailed the perfect form factor down!

Hifiman Edition X V2 : I really love the form factor. And I love the engulfing sound of their overly large drivers. And I love how they are so thin. And I love how light they are. But I didn't love their lack of sub bass and paucity of snap and dynamic impact. Nor the attenuated upper regions that create that veil that I know so many count on to make gear listenable long term. To me, it's like putting a sofa in the front seat of a Ferrari to make it more comfortable. These would be awesome with more correct highs and high mids, and a touch more low frequency extension and impact. Soundstage is lovely and imaging is fine but not pinpoint. Classical and chamber music, jazz and soft vocals were gentle and lovely but lack definition and accuracy. The 400S had the same sound signature. And my brief experience with the 1000 V2, Susvara and even the Shangri-La all tell me that this is their house sound with exponential levels of improvement as you move up the line. If this is your sound, it's a home run. It's just not my sound. I wonder if a brighter more meticulously accurate amp would compensate and make them perfect. Hummmmmm.........

Audeze LCD-2 : classic Audeze open can sound. Warm and bass. Mids are luscious and delicious. These cans are all about that. They lack high frequency definition, and although the soundstage is wide, other cans extend further and recreate more accurate imaging. It is a listen for hours set of cans though, even though a neck support might be needed after 45 minutes or so. Maybe a stick down your shirt and duct-tapped to the back of your head would help. Just not my favorite form factor. Direct competitor to the Edition X V2. They lose from a form factor s/p and win, by a hair, in sound. But primarily because of low frequency extension. I'd rather wear the X V2. I found both to be musical, warm and engaging but both lack proper treble tone and roll off, leaving vocals veiled and subtly muffed. As a result they can both be listened to all day long, with no hint of harshness or shrieking. But the whole picture is not there. Like watching a 16x9 movie on a 4x3 TV where they just cut off the far left and right. And they both do the same thing, but to different extremes. There are other cans I would go for at this price. The EL-8C is more tonally correct then either but has that weight/compression issue which might be corrected by using hybrid pads; or maybe the open EL-8 which I have not yet heard. They both give a taste of what their bigger siblings offer but leave me wanting more.

*ZMF Blackwoods (show evaluation) : I spent a lot of time with these at the NY Head-Fi show (thanks to ALL who made that day happen, it was great). I couldn't put them down. In fact, they were amongst my favorite pair I heard all day (including hearing the raved Focal Utopia and the LCD4). I even spent some time with the Hifiman Shangri'La and Susvara (both of which have that treble roll off that puts me off but so many love). Zach and his wife are lovely people. The ZMF sounds TOTALLY different then the T50RP sound! These go from sub bass to treble with aplomb and sing with everything I threw at them. Never sibilant or strident, always engaging and musical. Low frequency was extended, proper, never overbearing but there when it was supposed to be. Mids were full by not warm and never thick. Treble was great with very very subtle roll off on unexpected attacks. Tone was wonderful and I found myself running way further into my Tidal listening test playlist then I normally go, and then outside of it to try my normal listening music as well. I really liked these!!!! My only gripe would be that they are way back in the audience, like 2/3-3/4 back compared to front row or front 5 rows. And their sub-bass lacks the extension of some others I have heard; although I think it's very correct tonally and those others are over emphasized. They sound better when driven hard and with lots of power; which isn't surprising considering its genetic origins and abject inefficiency. I found a pair on eBay and snagged them for further evaluation (which has been incorporated above). Zach and his wife are good people and I encourage everyone to at least audition these if not buy a pair! Every headphone collection should have a T50RP variant and to my ears, this is THE one! These headphones offer texture, depth, energy and a sense of instrument palpability that none of the other headphones that I have heard (listed here) can recreate. The mod'd TH-6xx PurpleHeart sounds pretty damn good also though. ** - I ordered a pair of Oris's I liked these SO much!! Waiting for them to arrive.

ZMK Eikon (show evaluation) : I spent quite a bit of time with these and the Blackwoods at the NY Head-Fi show (thanks to ALL who made that day happen, it was great). Although the Eikon is the more expensive of the two, I preferred the Blackwoods. Similarly to the Ether Flow C, the Eikon is a step up in refinement, maturity, complexity and texture top to bottom. But to my ears they are voiced with a subtle upper frequency roll off that so many other headphones have. I get it, as it makes jazz, rock and most genres sound inviting. But the inaccuracy of vocal recreation with the dreaded veil pushed me to the Blackwoods. If your tastes lean away from that treble accuracy (brightness?) that makes HD800, TH900 and ATH2000x owners happy then these and the Mr. Speakers Ether Flow and C's should be at the very top of your list!

MrSpeaker Alpha Dog : Form factor is wonderful; albeit poofy. Comfortable with the big pillow pads, and the ear holes are just the right size. Tone is proper from top to bottom but they have a laid back sound until you really start driving them hard; then they get in your head a bit. They expect a lot from their powering amp. If they have a fault, it's their (not attenuated or lacking) high frequencies and their paucity of sub bass. Bass could use a 2db boost but is tonally correct and complements the overall sound nicely. Musically engaging, like from one song in Tidal to the next kind of engaging. These are headphones that sound amazing and without fault until compared to much better cans. So stay away from an A/B with them and just enjoy the hell out of them! Like the similar gene'd ZMF Blackwood, their signature puts you further back in the audience. I would say with conviction that the Alpha Dog and the ZMF Blackwood require the proper amp and very likely an all class A at that. I need to borrow or buy one to confirm this theory. Directly comparing the Dogs and the Blackwoods with my reference stereo room shows that the Dogs are more closed in and have a sense of listening in a small chamber compared to a larger room. Tone is a hair brighter with a scant less midrange, but I would call their tone more natural. Unless you push the volume in which case the Dogs started biting at your ears. The Blackwoods are clearly more open sounding, like listening in a room as opposed to headphones. Tone is a tad shaded in comparison and less correct. Interesting comparison. If I had to chose one, it would be SO hard, but the ZMF would stay I'm such a stickler for tone over all else, and at higher volumes (which is where I tend to listen to headphones), the ZMF hold it together better.

Addendum: the ZMF required a little adjustment on the attenuation padding in front of the driver; and with that change they are now spectacular!

Audeze LCD3 : LCD2's but heavier and better. Not much more to say. If Jazz, Blues, Classical and chamber are your listening preference then look no further. The highs extend further then the LCD2 but still not to where I want them to be. These are huge and make no effort to hide that. Like stupid huge. Like walk around in public wearing these and get arrested by the cops for looking like a mega-dork, and sent to mega-dork academy for life kinda huge! Beautifully fabricated and the wood is stunning! I spent 20 minutes admiring the craftsmanship before I even put them on! I wanted to love these. I don't have a HeadAmp GS-X mk2 but I'll bet these sound their best with that amps clean, clear, accurate sonic signature!! I have not heard the LCDX, yet.

Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany : see my note about modding below. TH900 on the cheap; thank you MassDrop! Hummm... Mahogany, PurpleHeart, Teak.... Teak is a lowly 1000 on the Janka Scale while American Mahogany is 1200 and PurpleHeart is a whopping 1860. All 3 are voiced the same and have the same flavor with subtle differences. And all of them initially were bass heavy, mid full and rolled off up top. The up top paucity threw me since the same family TH900 was SO bright. Nicely balanced and musical but truncated up top; weird... Well once the pad swapping commenced, it revealed a plastic attenuation ring behind the earpads which was wreaking havoc with my precious highs. PS - I found the same problem in foam form in my ZMF Blackwoods, which offered a HUGE improvement once tweaked. Well, once I pulled out my trusty scissors, I slowly cut away that thin plastic attenuation ring until the Ideal shape and size of the hole was accomplished from an acoustical standpoint. So, Mahogany...short answer is mahogany is more reverberant, not quite as deep and less accurate overall; although all by small amounts. I prefer the PurpleHeart. The Teak has not arrived yet.

*Fostex TH-X00 PurpleHeart : See my note about modding below. TH900 on the cheap; thank you MassDrop! Same story as the Mahogany X00 but the denser cups give more controlled base with more sub-bass harmonics, a more true midrange (although still lacking, and it's biggest flaw) and more accurate and complex highs. I replaced the pads with Dakota pads and Dakota attenuation rings which I cut several millimeters out of the center to make the hole bigger to let those glorious highs and upper mids through just enough. Sub bass and mid bass are textured and complex although a touch overstated. Mids take a small step back as a result. If there was a way to natively very subtlety reduce the bass and increase upper mids these would be perfect (I mean, besides EQ). The problem with the whole TH-x00 and 900 lineup is too much bass and a paucity of mids.... but if you change earpads and tweak them just right they are ridiculously musical and just suck you in; faults and all! So far, that is the Dekoni attenuation rings with an additional 2mm of plastic cut around circumferentially and ZMF ear pads! Boom! It softens the treble just enough and tightens up the bass just enough. This is how they should come from the manufacturer! I might pass the * to the Teak when they arrive. But one of the TH-x00 gets a *. Lol.

Ultrasone Signature Pro :$1k cans that are built like M50's, and sound like M50's. Uh... just go buy M50's!

*Ultrasone Edition M Plus Black Pearl : This Ultrasone I love; and I didn't want to (not sure why). It's designated as a portable/mobile can (Hence the M). They are VERY expensive (oh yeah, THAT's why!) and don't look very expensive. In fact, they kinda look like they should cost about 1/6 their price. They fit snug but not cramped and seal very well. And they have, to my ears, an almost perfect tonal signature from top to bottom. Extended visceral sub bass, taught lows with dynamic impact and accuracy of texture, mids that are neither recessed nor overdone and warm without being gooey, and highs that extend without sibilance or brightness while retaining tonal color, breath and sheen. I like these, a lot! And I really don't want to because they are just too expensive; but their not because they sound like this and why doesn't anything else sound like this but look like it should and now I'm just bantering because I just don't know what to say!!! These are great! Like stupid great! But it's like someone took amazing cans and put them on a $65- a pair portable headphone band. And if they did that and they are mobile, why don't they fold like the V-Moda's which are the perfect form factor for portability! These guys need to meet with V-Moda and make a hybrid pair of V-Moda/Unisone Black Pearl Jack Sparrow edition M+'s and they would just stop making anything else in that price range. Sigh. Also, with longer listening the bass and sub bass lack texture and layering that some of the other contenders provide effortlessly. And they don't reach down nearly as far. But they win hands down for best obscenely expensive portable headphone! If such a category exists.... Welp, it does now!

Ultrasone Edition 8 Palladium : similar voice to the M Plus, but a touch warmer and with less sub bass. Also a glimmer of metallic type sound; hard to explain. Ear pads were just a scootch to small. Had to sorta wiggle the phones to get my ear all in and then it felt cramped; M Plus did it just right. Same cost as M Plus, these looked and felt more expensive and yet the M Plus was the superior headphone.

Ultrasone Edition 12 : open can. Occasionally bright but not offensively so. Metallic sort of sound, and hollow. Beautifully crafted and implemented, but still somehow felt cheap. Way better out there for the money and way better out there for less money. Someone needs to take Ultrasone's stock of aluminum and their CNC machine away, send the designer on vacation and call the temp agency to bring someone in who spent the previous 3 weeks working for V-Moda!!!

Final Audio Design Sonorous IV : Big. Silver. Fabricated from unobtainium. Oooooohhhhh. Sounds ok. Wasn't blown away. Bass was a tad flubby and mids were closed in. Upper registers rolled truncated but with a strange peak. I'd like to hear the VI, I think that's where it's at. These sounded like someone accidentally turned the reverb too high, on everything. I briefly listened to the VI subsequently, at a store, and had a similar impression; reverby kinda sound but tighter bass and warmer mids.

*BeyerDynamics DT1990 Pro : put on the analytical pads or there's not enough low frequency extension, although they make the cans a bit brighter as well. Very comfortable. Built to German Watch tolerances! Gorgeous and well implemented. A touch light in the sub bass and low bass; but pleasant and evident. Well balanced mids and highs, proper tone and texture. Sub bass doesn't extend like the Fostex TH-6xx and 900 and bass in general is less enigmatic and textured. I would say bass is this headphones Achilles heal. It's there and proper, but lacks extension, impact and texture when compared to other contenders. Mids are luscious and treble is extended and proper without ever getting shrill or overbearing. But the Mids take front stage and seam to be compensating for the lack of bass texture and density. Don't get me wrong, compared to the Sennheiser HD800 these are bass kings. But compared to where they should be, it's not quite there. From a purely comfort standpoint, I find the ear pads less comfortable then the leather variants and think they would get hot and chaff. These are exceptional and a fantastic choice for classical, Jazz, Blues and anything in that branch of music. We are comparing apples to oranges in some ways since this is a diffuse field equalized headphone. But with this implementation, I think it's well done and works quite well.

Audio Technica ATH-A1000Z : it goes from moderately deep bass (no real discernible sub bass) to a treble set to 11. Where the open AD1000X and 2000X stop just short of hysterics, IMHO both of these closed versions go to 11, the 2000Z actually goes to 12. With a touch of subtle bending they do lie flat to the head (that includes the open version). But they are a touch too big, the R70x is the best form of this design and the flapper tension is better as well. I'd like to see a closed version of the R70! Bass is there and correct, just scant sub bass and I would prefer a db or 2 more in the lower octaves; it is heard but not felt. The mids are not recessed to me, but the highs are so prominent that they overpower the mids. Tonally they are closer to correct then many others. A touch of well placed damping material over the driver and they would be awesome! I liked these better then the A2000Z. Of course this and the 2000Z would probably sound fantastic with a warmer amp or DAC, and awesome with tubes. Definitely worth auditioning.

Audio Technica ATH-A2000Z : it also goes from moderately deep bass (a paucity of discernible sub bass, but more then the 1000z) to treble drilling high frequency holes in your ears. Mids are there but so drowned out by the upper registers that they might as well not be there. If you like High Frequencies you'll LOVE these cans!! Buy the cheaper 1000's. Or find the 3000 anniversary version! Haven't heard the 5000. If you want these but can't afford them, buy some ribbon tweeters from PartsExpress, tape them to your ears and connect them to a car battery! Your 97% there......

Audio Technica ATB-A3000anniv : best of all the ATH-series (except for the R70x which are actually worth buying). Extends the lowest (except for the R70x) and generates the most natural sense of midrange density and tone. As with all of the thousand x and z series the highs getcha on occasion and are just too bright for my tastes. I tried to place different attenuation materials and couldn't tame it sufficiently. The sense of tone and texture of instruments reproduced in the mids and upper registers is uncanny and if they could tame those peaks (maybe with EQ if that's your thing). The PurpleHearts give the same textures with a hair lacking in the mid region, but have none of that ice pick experience the ATH generates. Of course, turning down the volume accomplishes this as well. In fact, they are sublime quiet headphones!! Lower frequency texture is also proper and taught, and has good upper bass dynamics, but lacks any sense of sub bass and visceral texture.

*Monoloth M1060 : For the money, these are STUPID GOOD!!!! I prefer them over any Audeze at any price since their tone is more correct. Obviously they don't recreate the mature textures and harmonies that the LCD3 did, but that tonal accuracy wins every time. I prefer them with the foam removed. A tad light in the upper mids (with a strange high mid spike that jabs you on rare occasion- I think that's what the foam attenuates) and lower treble with just the subtlest of veils, but they compensate with taught bass and extended tactile sub bass. If you were not comparing headphones and just listening, you would stop here, look at all the extra money in your pocket; and so little holds these headphones back from taking the entire open headphone market in their gasp, and laughing their way to the bank.

*ZMF Oris : will post when they arrive. Ordered and on the way. Can't wait! I put a * there already because I can't imagine they won't stay with me considering how good the Blackwoods are!

*Kennerton Odin : Heavy, but well balanced. WOW! Scale! Dynamics! Subtlety! Emotion! Width! Depth! Sub bass is there and as it should be. Bass tone is correct; both simple and complex, precise and wonderful. Mids express harmonics from top to bottom and convey the undertones of instrument and voices while making the music flow. Highs are just a touch scaled back; not veiled or truncated. The highs suite the sound of the headphones and I understand why they do what they do. Would I like a bit more up top? Yes; but I'm not sure it wouldn't affect the overall cohesion. The texture of strings and tone of the instruments is conveyed effortlessly. Emotional subtlety with dynamic presence and speed. A hair dark up top but one of the few headphones that I don't mind so much. Maybe a 1/2db of EQ could fix it (did I just say that?). Or not. Maybe it's perfect the way it is. I hear instruments resonate and I see emotion in the performers, which is no easy feat. Oh, did I mention these things are spectacularly gorgeous to behold! My ZMF Blackwoods sound thin after listening to the Odin's; and no other headphone has done that; because they are NOT THIN. But the Odin's... oh my!! Dare I say these are the best I have heard? Dare I say these things do as well as the mighty Stax (I can't say that since I've not heard the 009 in my room to properly compare). I just might Dare! Although a touch darker then I prefer, they do everything so right that it just doesn't bother me. I can't wait to hear the Carbon Fiber versions being announced at CanJam London! Wow Kennerton! I like my my headphones like I like my Vodka..... Russian Made!!!

Sennheiser HD-6XX : MassDrop. How could I say no for $199? How could you say no for $199?!?!

*MrSpeaker Ether Flow : See Ether Flow C. Subtract some sub bass and add a tiny iddy bit to the high mids and add a scootch of sparkle. Trading extended sub bass for a touch of high end. I would say there is a frustrating dip lower treble/very upper midrange. I think I like the C better for the sub bass and the open for the lightness and additional air, but I can't compare them A/B so can't be sure. But the open Ether Flow is insanely beautiful, light, and comfortable!! Both are awesomely good! And for someone who isn't an upper frequency fanatic or listens to mostly rock, pop and electronic music these just might be your headphone. I'm not sure how quickly I will sell these. With the drastic tonal variations between headphones, this pair has taught me why Can fans use/need EQ. I could see these and the C variant being "almost Odin level" with a tiny touch of EQ love. Just because of the Ether Flow and the Flow C, I am going to buy a good DAP for the EQ so I can try it out. Did I really say that?!? Don't tell my 2 channel stereo buddies!!!!! Well done Mr. Speakers! The progression from my Alpha Dogs to these is a true accomplishment! I gave the * to the open because of the comfort and lightness but could easily share it with the C. I'd keep both if I could. Either would be end game for many.

Emu Teak : MassDrop. Due in a month or so. I expect them to be better then the PurpelHearts but not quit as good as the 900's. We shall see when they arrive.

I really want to hear the Mr. Speakers Aeon, Kennerton Vali (Mass drop before years end I heard) and soon to be released Magister Pro! I'd also like to hear more from Stax including the L700, 007mk2 and more of the 009.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 76
-------

DAC's/Amps used for this evaluation:

-Oppo HA-2SE : Incredible form, fit and finish. Didn't have enough juice to power everything I was looking at. Great bargain for what it is.

-Chord Mojo : coolest handheld thing ever! It's the ultimate fidget toy!!!! Sounds great. Reliably links. Loses connection at times requiring disconnect and reconnect. A scootch laid back but complex, subtle and layered. And the amp is crazy good for such a tiny size!!

-Ifi Micro iDSD Black Label : Wow. SO flexible and sounds great. Don't hear much of a difference switching the digital filters. Can drive anything readily. Pretty decent form factor. Switches all over though. I would have liked some of the switches recessed since they rarely get changed. Quirky USB linking. Slightly more analytical then the Mojo.

-Chord Hugo 2 (1850): I got on the list late. Mine is due mid to late August supposedly.

-AudioQuest Red : small form factor. Links quickly and without issue. It just sounds overly bright with lots of bloom. Accurate and detailed. A tad bright for my tastes. Not quite as refined or complex as the Mojo, but with proper headphone matching I can see it's potential.

-Emotive BaseX A-100 amplifier : petite for what it is. Beautifully built for $230-! It's an amp. But lacked any true refinement. Great for good cheap power, not for audiophiles.

-Exogal Comet Plus DAC/headphone amp: What a great DAC! And an even better headphone amp/DAC unless you are higher then 300 ohms. It's expensive but you get what you pay for. Clean, clear, accurate and dynamic. At $3k it's not cheap, but a VERY solid option for a desktop DAC/1/4" headphone amp. I borrowed this one from Larry of Distinctive Stereo in River Vale, NJ. He's a great guy for headphones or stereo. Give him a call!

-Violectric HPAV281 : a fantastic DAC and amp with all the power to feed anything. Dynamic and powerful while still maintaining a sense of refinement and aire. The Comet Plus saw further into the music and was more accurate, but the Violectric was more engaging at times. The Violectric gives a sense of engagement and warmth that meshes wonderfully with certain brighter headphones.

I used ONLY UNBALANCED for this comparison to keep things fair and even. Without fail, switching to balanced made whatever headphone offered that option a better performer.

--------

As I refined my headphone listening style and technique I began defining certain qualities that are impossible to identify otherwise.

I borrowed a friends Violectric V281 amp and plopped ma butt in my dedicated listening room. Found a good but not loud listening volume and matched the headphones volume. Running XLR from my Empirical Audio ODSE to my Aurender/Davinci/Burmester/Dynaudio rig and single ended to the Violectric. Let the tunes flow and compare headphones on and off to determine correct tone and staging.

Considering my home system is essentially my (and many people's) ultimate reference, the closer I can get to my 2 channel system the better the headphones are. This technique has proved that most "high end" cans have a slightly misguided tone.

Believe it or not, practically none are tonally "correct" when compared to a reference level 2 channel stereo. Even the ones the reviewers call "neutral".

So far the only closed headphone that is tonally correct compared to my dedicated room, and it is the MOST tonally correct headphone (open or closed) of all that I have heard (which is now a crapton!) is the Ultrasone Edition M Plus Black Pearl. Which goes to show how subjective the term "Neutral" is.

I have also learned that what your ear perceives as tonally correct when played from across the room isn't the same as what's projected into your ear from 1" away. So setting a tonal signature for a pair of headphone becomes subjective no matter how you look at it. There are several excellent YouTube videos on different frequency response curve targets and I refer you to them to see what I am talking about. So do we EQ to compensate for taste? My issue with EQ stems from the fact that a speaker or headphone is DESIGNED to be a cohesive whole. To change any portion of that frequency response affects the entire reproduction and can, most times, collapse the acoustic structure that the designer intended. This is why 2 channel audiophiles poo poo EQ. As an analogy, imagine putting a 600hp engine in a Pontiac Solstice. Although the engine will make the car go faster, the suspension/transmission/chassis/breaks/wheels/etc are not designed for a heavy, powerful engine and the car won't be pleasant to drive, reliable, nimble or capable of transferring that power to the road.

That said, I would imagine a 1/2 - 1db up or down wouldn't have a huge affect on collapsing synergy. +/- 2-3db or more would, in my eyes, detrimentally affect the system as a whole.

-----------

** Final Note about mod'd headphones and tunability:

So I've been playing with ear pads and to do so you have to, obviously, take the earpads off. The two headphones I've been comparing to themselves are the X00 PurpleHeart to the x00 mahogany (the Teak is ordered as well but not here yet), and the Fostex tr50p mod'd MrSpeaker Alpha Dog (3D printed cup) and the ZMF Blackwood (mine is African Cherry, which is harder then PurpleHeart on the Janka wood density scale). I bought all of them since it was the only way to directly compare.

Well, changing earpads and the underlying attenuation batting makes a MASSIVE difference in sound quality and tonal presentation. And these companies either use plastic rings or extra padding under the earpads to attenuate the highs and upper mids to reduce them to muffled, veiled ghosts of proper tone.

Both headphones are actually exceptional but need to be tweaked in tiny steps to attain improved tone.

I prefer the PurpleHeart over the Mahogany, which makes sense considering PurpleHeart is WAY denser then American Mahogany. But the MassDrop X00 comes with a high frequency attenuation ring behind the ear pad that blunts all the good stuff from getting through. I bought better pads and an extra set of attenuation rings. Without the rings, they are essentially identical to the $1300- Fostex TH900 in tone (your paying extra for that gorgeous Japanese maple, sap/epoxy coated cup which I'm sure does make an improvement since the cup clearly affects the sound), which is too bright. I have been slowly trimming the hole larger and larger to find the perfect amount of treble/high mid flow through. With better pads and the properly sized attenuation ring, the x00 can be spectacular!

Now the Fostex mod'd Alpha Dog and ZMF Blackwood are the same scenario. The original comes with a ton of wadding to soften the overly bright magnetic planar driver. The mod'd versions also come with different variations of attenuation foam padding (these drivers need padding as opposed to the attenuation ring). The Alpha Dog uses a small rectangle of foam centrally placed to block some but not all of the highs. It's well done and may need a tiny bit more to tone them down a microscopic amount more. The ZMF uses 1 layer of thin foam padding to cover the entire driver and then a 2 layered square in the center. It had too much and I'm playing with the proper placement and amount with the help of Zach from ZMF. The Alpha Dogs 3D printed cup seems to create somewhat of a sea-shell sound, and I think, but the jury is still out, that I prefer the African Cherry cup of the ZMF. But I need to correct for proper tone on both before I can compare.

Zach, from ZMF is a master regarding this subtle attenuation material and tweaking. Which is part of why his custom headphones offer a level of personalization that is practically impossible to find elsewhere, since he literally tunes the headphones to your specific tastes. If your a stickler for tone, Zach can make you happy. Of course, so would a pair of $2600 Odin's!

To physically attenuate, the starting product needs to output at higher then whatever you desire. As I have explained, I prefer to avoid equalizing. In the high end 2 channel stereo world, "equalizing" is paramount to cursing. Stay away from the signal, leave it pure above all else!!!! Period. I know that's not the case in the headphone world. But I chose to bring that particular rule with me to my headphone experience; right or wrong..... As such, if a headphone is lacking in a certain frequency, other then mod'ing the cup or changing the ear pads, their is no way to augment that frequency. However, the multitude of attenuation materials and techniques allows for a myriad of options to accomplish that task. That said, attenuating bass can be a challenge. In other words, if you find a can that you love but has too much of a good thing, you can probably improve upon it to make it suit your tastes perfectly with a little research and effort (look at all the mod's available to help curb the HD800). But if you find a can that you love that needs augmentation of any frequencies, EQ will be pretty much your only option.... And as I said before, subtle changes at most; otherwise you are unquestionably doing more harm then good!

>> Thanks to HeadAmp at the June NY Head-ago meet for the opportunity to hear the Stax SR-009 powered by the HeadAmp Blue Hawaii Special Edition!!!! Everything else didn't come close to the supreme tonal correctness, depth of instrument harmonics and musical accuracy, while maintaining everything engaging and magical that listening to music involves. Maybe a better amp and DAC would make the experience even better, but this was the best I have heard headphones offer. End game headphone experience, for under $10k! Considering I have power cords in my main stereo rig that cost more then that, that's quite an accomplishment in my book. My goal is not home audio for my living room, I have a dedicated listening room and a statement level system for that. I want to listen in my backyard, in my bedroom, at the office and on vacation. So my needs and methods are not a dedicated stationary home system. But if I was, the 009/Blue Hawaii would be it!!!

{And thank YOU for reading this and for the contributions to follow. I will post updates reviews as they happen and review the Cans that are due in, and any others that I have the opportunity to hear!}

I'll see you at the next Head-Fi meet or Can Jam!

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 76
Fantastic write up. It appears we have similar taste in HPs.

You've got me interested in ZMF now, especially considering my current go to is the EL8Ti of which you speak highly of. Can you offer comparison of the EL8 to the Blackwood by chance? I'd love to get your take on soundstage differences, external isolation (outside world), efficiency, and FR between the two.

Again, well done! Thanks for taking the time to compile this after your lengthy search.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #5 of 76
Matt, it's strange for me to see all of this in one post. Excellent and so well thought out. As you already know, you have me excited about the prospects of the Odin and possibly the Massdrop one they'll have eventually. I also can't wait for the Cosmic, if the headphone.com guys ever come out with it.

As for Odin, you know that this is the sound that's my cup of tea with headphones. I listen differently than I did just 5 years ago. We are trained as audiophiles, to like the speakers that have so much extension in the treble, but all too often it's due to distortion or a company just boosting it a db or three. That's not natural as we hear live music. Just isn't. That's why we don't ever have listener fatigue when listening to live music (electrified rock is a different ball game). Cohesion is SOOOO important. This is why I gravitated to Vandersteen speakers a few years ago. I finally understood point source better than I ever have. Most think they get it, but they don't until they hear it really done correctly. I understand this is a headphone forum, but I hope most understand my point.

I always had my Stax Lambda Pro's and Lambda's for portable listening when driving ships in the Navy. I loved them, but they had NO bass even when driven properly, but man were they coherent. I didn't even realize at the time, why I loved them. They always let me down though in the bass. Seem like the Odin has it right. Can they offer the Odin with more extension? I'm sure they can do anything they want, but quite possibly the recordings were recorded that way and the Odin are giving you the true recording (you are using a good amp) and not boosting it artificially. After you told me about this lack of boost yesterday, I spent a lot of the day listening to my home rig (Vandy quatro, Ayre AX5/20, QX5/20, Audioquest WEL balanced interconnect and Diamond USB, Steve Nugent built server with high res, well recorded music of all genres, AQ Castlerock bi wired speakers cable 8' runs). All electronics are driven through the AQ Niagara power deal or the Synergistic Research Tesla Powercell 10/SE mk2 that I'm going to sell.

I think that it's time for balanced cables IRT to the Odin to get the most out of them. I'm sure the Comet has nice balanced outputs. I'll call later today to discuss the differences and I bet that high end extension you are missing would be helped by balanced (you just never know). Also the bass should become even better running it this way. I will eventually get you to try the Noble IEM's (Katana comes to mind for us...er you, lmao). I don't think JH Labs have your sonic signature, but you never know as they have updated most of their offerings.

I hope this becomes a running thread where folks can come get a quick look at headphone reviews. Should you do OP updates on your first post to keep them all in the same place? You never did that on the AG thread, but I wonder if now is the time to think about that. What do others want to see? Just a question. Thanks so much for sharing your passion Matt and I promise to try and get down to visit when I feel up to it and am able to. :wink:.

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 76
Fantastic write up. It appears we have similar taste in HPs.

You've got me interested in ZMF now, especially considering my current go to is the EL8Ti of which you speak highly of. Can you offer comparison of the EL8 to the Blackwood by chance? I'd love to get your take on soundstage differences, external isolation (outside world), efficiency, and FR between the two.

Again, well done! Thanks for taking the time to compile this after your lengthy search.

Thanks a lot. It was fun to do and write.

EL8 to Blackwood..... EL8 has best isolation I have EVER seen. Like sealing your ears with silicon! ZMF are "mostly" closed. There is some leak but not noticeable in a louder environment. For the same reason, soundstage is wider on the ZMF. The ZMF are power hungry monsters! 300 ohms and tough to drive well; but so rewarded when done right. Frequency response was mentioned regarding tone. The ZMF can be bright, neutral or attenuated all based on what material is placed in front of the driver. It's a have'it'your'way headphone.

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #8 of 76
Thanks!

What Koss should I hear???
Probably koss porta pro because its their legendary headphone which some love and others don't see any special.
Maybe ksc75, which some say is more detailed porta pro
Probably DJ100
And legendary koss esp/950 ... which I;ve never had a chance to try but people love it

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #9 of 76
I have heard from a few that the Odin is truly special right now. Most I know who have auditioned it or own it felt it was the best headphone they have ever heard and that includes the much more expensive ones from Focal, Audeze, Hifiman and the rest.

I guess then you have to look at the Stax and their ilk. Very interesting that the ZMF Blackwoods, at their price, beat out most if not all of the 800-2k can's. I haven't heard them so I don't know, but I know the posters ear and I'm sure they will.

I wonder what others have to say one way or the other. This seems like the perfect thread to grow as it's all right here in one place.

Jul 15, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #10 of 76
WHOA! Lots of effort you put into this DocSkeekmo. thanks. I look forward to your HUGO 2 impressions.

On the Audeze iSines - they are maybe a new category of IEM/headphone and probably not what many would look for if they want isolation and supreme comfort. That said I have the iSine 20s and they are the first portable IEM/headphone that I've been drawn to use - mainly b/c of there huge stage and wonderful open sound. I'm not a portable audio guy but these are changing things- despite the fact that I look like I am sitting in the middle of a tie fighter.

Jul 15, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #11 of 76
great share on the iSine 20's. I've been intrigued by them, but it's going to be hard to displace the Savants for me. I'm actually thinking about the Katana's, but I don't like the two pin connector at all as my wire doesn't always fit properly. Can't just change from balanced to unbalanced. Everything seems to have pro's and con's regardless of the prices we are paying for these cans.

Jul 15, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #12 of 76
Fantastic work. Usually we only see this kind of thing from members who have been here years, and spread across many reviews and impressions posts, so it's great to read it all in one place.

There were some weird things, like HD800s with no sub bass? I can only imagine that happening if you had plugged them into an amp with poor voltage swing.

With regards to "neutral" we consider that to be "flat". I'm not sure what kind of listening room and speakers you have, but maybe the speaker equivalent would be something from Wilson in a fully treated and damped room. I have noticed that speaker listeners tend to go more for something like the TH900s or a similar pair of headphones that have more bass than is technically neutral.

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #13 of 76
Guys, OP and I are good friends and in touch all the time. You can go to his thread on another board about best DAC for 24/44 CD quality only. It's been going for years now and it fantastic. He can tell you his system, but I promise you he won't ever have Wilson's in there unless they all of a sudden have better definition and become much more coherent, lol.

Interesting thought on the 800's. I have heard them (mk 2 is the newest if I recall) and felt the same way. I've heard them on the Codex, Macintosh and my own Ayre QX5/20. I didn't love them for many reasons, but I didn't hear true sub bass either. I was listening to high res 24/192 orchestral recordings (never my first choice, but getting into more of it lately) served from Steve Nugent's (of Empirical Audio) former server he used at shows. It's a rebuilt Mac Mini with high end caps/resistors and a Paul Hynes LPS . It's connected with a hand made 100% silver cable and it uses an AJ Conte (Basis Audio) hand made power cord. It's a darn good server and if sub bass is on the recording, it will play it with aplomb. To know what i like to hear, I use Vandersteen Quatro's with Audioquest Castlerock bi wired cables and Audioquest's highest end WEL balanced cable from the QX5 to the Ayre AX5/20 integrated. I use an AQ Diamond USB from server to QX5/20. Oh, it's all plugged into a AQ Niagara power deal that has now replaced the Synergistic Research Tesla Powercell 10SE.

I have a daily pair of Noble Savants Wizard style that I love. It has very little bass, but it was my first foray into IEM's and I wanted neutral. Looking at possibly a pair of Odin's or Katana's going forward depending on which way I want to go. Also waiting on the Headphone.com Cosmic's if they ever come to market.

I sold my Stax Lambda and Lambda Pro's a couple of years ago (still need to move the portable amp I used on the ship for them) as they too didn't have enough sub bass. It was tuneful and all as are the Senn's, but the run out of steam down low to MY ears. I have used Senn's since the 70's, so it's not like I don't want to love them. Heck, they are built well, look awesome and feel even better. If they had the bass that others seem to have as well as a couple of things, I'd jump all over a used pair in a heartbeat and not look back. JMHO.

Jul 15, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #14 of 76
Probably koss porta pro because its their legendary headphone which some love and others don't see any special.
Maybe ksc75, which some say is more detailed porta pro
Probably DJ100
And legendary koss esp/950 ... which I;ve never had a chance to try but people love it

Although I have some super affordable headphones like the 9500's, my goal was to discover the best I could find. So the PortaPro, KSC75 and DJ100 never hit my radar. But I clearly missed the ESP/950 and will try to get my hands on a pair. Thanks SO much for the list!

Jul 15, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #15 of 76
WHOA! Lots of effort you put into this DocSkeekmo. thanks. I look forward to your HUGO 2 impressions.

On the Audeze iSines - they are maybe a new category of IEM/headphone and probably not what many would look for if they want isolation and supreme comfort. That said I have the iSine 20s and they are the first portable IEM/headphone that I've been drawn to use - mainly b/c of there huge stage and wonderful open sound. I'm not a portable audio guy but these are changing things- despite the fact that I look like I am sitting in the middle of a tie fighter.

Totally get the intrigue. The soundstage was huge, especially for a pair of in ears! But to me the IEM is for the ultimate sealed, quiet experience; other then the essentially hermetically sealed EL8C. Lol. It's a new frontier with open IEM's and I respect where it is going. As I said, it's just not for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back