2359glenn | studio
May 1, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #15,061 of 39,983
May 1, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #15,062 of 39,983
How do you quote? I got an error and need to quote manually.

+1 on the plier, don't use knife, you'll cut yourself. I use a flat noise plier, works wonderfully. Don't remove too many, I noticed additional noise with c3g cover removed.

Yes, that shield cover is to help prevent noise...I leave mine covered so I can take advantage of the shield.

May 1, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #15,063 of 39,983
Good info - thanks guys. I was busy this weekend, but did manage to find 2 hours last night for some listening. Truly wonderful amp. I'm just waiting for some new cables to arrive to assist with the new arrangement in the music room, and then I'll post some more pictures.

May 1, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #15,065 of 39,983
Good info - thanks guys. I was busy this weekend, but did manage to find 2 hours last night for some listening. Truly wonderful amp. I'm just waiting for some new cables to arrive to assist with the new arrangement in the music room, and then I'll post some more pictures.
I don't recommend removing the shield off the C3g it is grounded through the center guide pin
to block noise and hum.

May 1, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #15,066 of 39,983
I don't recommend removing the shield off the C3g it is grounded through the center guide pin
to block noise and hum.

But the tubes are so beautiful de-cover... :) I learned the noise the hard way.. "ruined" my C3g/S pair, so start out with an older set if you have multiple.

May 1, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #15,067 of 39,983
FYI... This worked for me in this post...

I figured out why, it's because I'm in mobile site setting, switching back to desktop site allow me to quote. The new design is not very good imho.

May 4, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #15,068 of 39,983
Does anyone know if the Lundahl Glenn OTL can run the 6336C tubes? The hugeeee and hot ones :)

May 4, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #15,069 of 39,983
I think you are referring to the Russian 6C33C? If so, I doubt that you can run a pair of these in your OTL.

This tube is very different than a 6AS7, or even a 6336 / 6528. Among the many differences, a pair of these require something like 13A to heat, compared to 10A for a pair of 6336 / 6528. I am quite sure that neither the original nor the Lundahl transformer have the capacity to heat a pair.

Perhaps Glenn will tell us if he ever considered using the 6C33C in an OTL...

May 4, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #15,070 of 39,983
Ok I'm officially leaning towards a Glenn amp. I had been very close to purchasing a Woo WA22 but these seem less finicky with tubes and better overall quality for your hard earned money. I'll be pairing it with a Schiit Bitfrost Multibit (SE out only) DAC and my HE1000 v2 and Sony Z1R headphones. I really enjoy tubes and finding the perfect match for my sound preferences, but I really don't intend on continued tune rolling beyond achieving that. I'm looking for a low maintenence option that will be relatively straightforward to get set up properly with tubes. My only concern is the two headphones I have demand different power. The Z1R can be driven by anything but the HE1000 love a lot of juice. I don't need any extra UV meters or anything extra like that. I'd like all my investment to go towards sound quality.

Any specific recommendations for Glenn amp configurations I should be looking for based on my needs?

With just enough tube rolling to achieve an ideal sound (I know his is subjective and kind of a hard question) roughly how much can I expect to invest in this amp and tubes?

Also wondering on average how long you guys have waited for your amp builds?

I sent Glenn a PM, but I'd love to hear from all of you as well who are using the amps. Especially if anyone is using either of my two headphones.

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #15,071 of 39,983
I think you are referring to the Russian 6C33C? If so, I doubt that you can run a pair of these in your OTL.

This tube is very different than a 6AS7, or even a 6336 / 6528. Among the many differences, a pair of these require something like 13A to heat, compared to 10A for a pair of 6336 / 6528. I am quite sure that neither the original nor the Lundahl transformer have the capacity to heat a pair.

Does anyone know if the Lundahl Glenn OTL can run the 6336C tubes? The hugeeee and hot ones :)

My Lundahl is 13 amp, so I do not think it would work, but I would wait for Glenn to respond to be certain, Jason.
My amp will do 6336 tubes with no problem, but that is only 10 amp for the pair.

May 4, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #15,072 of 39,983
Ok I'm officially leaning towards a Glenn amp. I had been very close to purchasing a Woo WA22 but these seem less finicky with tubes and better overall quality for your hard earned money. I'll be pairing it with a Schiit Bitfrost Multibit (SE out only) DAC and my HE1000 v2 and Sony Z1R headphones. I really enjoy tubes and finding the perfect match for my sound preferences, but I really don't intend on continued tune rolling beyond achieving that. I'm looking for a low maintenence option that will be relatively straightforward to get set up properly with tubes. My only concern is the two headphones I have demand different power. The Z1R can be driven by anything but the HE1000 love a lot of juice. I don't need any extra UV meters or anything extra like that. I'd like all my investment to go towards sound quality.

Any specific recommendations for Glenn amp configurations I should be looking for based on my needs?

With just enough tube rolling to achieve an ideal sound (I know his is subjective and kind of a hard question) roughly how much can I expect to invest in this amp and tubes?

I sent Glenn a PM, but I'd love to hear from all of you as well who are using the amps. Especially if anyone is using either of my two headphones.

A couple of pages back there is a pic of one of Glenns 300B amps that he recently made for someone.

This person also owns a WA22, so he could probably tell you about both of these amps.

I have not heard either of those headphones, but I am sure Glenn can steer you in a positive way.

He makes wonderful amps.

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #15,073 of 39,983

This is the amp for you EL3N

EL3N.JPG

May 4, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #15,074 of 39,983
Probably better to compare the Glenn 300B to the WA5 and not the WA22. I actually found someone in Vancouver with a WA5 and they came around to my house this week for a little shoot-out. I think they are going to sign-up here and contact Glenn :wink: It was a really fun evening comparing different headphones and gear. I was surprised how different the pre-fazor LCD-3 sounds compared to the fazor LCD-3. We both much preferred the fazor on all amps.

May 4, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #15,075 of 39,983
Probably better to compare the Glenn 300B to the WA5 and not the WA22. I actually found someone in Vancouver with a WA5 and they came around to my house this week for a little shoot-out. I think they are going to sign-up here and contact Glenn :wink: It was a really fun evening comparing different headphones and gear. I was surprised how different the pre-fazor LCD-3 sounds compared to the fazor LCD-3. We both much preferred the fazor on all amps.

Looking forward to the comparisons

Users who are viewing this thread

Back