1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Apr 15, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #4,801 of 9,124
About an hour back, I had made a post asking @Canyon Runner, if 64 Audio can share the measurements of the different ADEL modules. There was a table in that post with some numbers. Those numbers were for illustration purposes only to give an idea on what I was trying to express. If you have enabled email notifications, the notification email will still have those numbers. I request you to disregard the numbers as those numbers were NOT actual measurements.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Apr 15, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #4,802 of 9,124

Stay tuned for sound impression...

Oh man.. the suspense... but I'm thinking if the manual module can cover the entire spectrum, maybe it's best to just get that.  Still, considering how OCD I'm, tweaking both side to match exactly going to be very annoying.

Apr 15, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #4,803 of 9,124

Oh man.. the suspense... but I'm thinking if the manual module can cover the entire spectrum, maybe it's best to just get that.  Still, considering how OCD I'm, tweaking both side to match exactly going to be very annoying.

I know the feeling, but it's really not that bad (talking an adjustable module). You just tune one ear at a time, to where you feel is your favorite sound and boom done.

It's not about matching both ears to be the same tension or setting (which is why the clicking module is sorta stagnant in development), but since your left & right ear are different. This allows you to dial in and find the sweet spot for both, rather than ensuring one ear to be a bit different than the other.

Which I hope doesn't sound too strange, we're talking small differences here. Since ear IEM has the same output, plus each fixed module will be doing the same, we're talking about how each ears natural internal shape differs and has effect on a perfectly balanced sound from side to side. The MAM allows you to adjust for/counteract that via adjusting the membranes tension.

Apr 15, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #4,804 of 9,124
Here is my update on the 1964 CIEM cable:

photo 1 &2 : this is the separate cable I purchased from 64audio website, and you would notice the there is a copper metal brace connection between cable and wire, so the memory wire will not move when we bent the wire. 
Photo 3: this is the original and replacement cable from 64 audio, and you would notice there is no copper brace to secure the cable and memory, and this is MAIN reason the pin connectors are cracked, for every time when we bent the memory wire, the memory wire will push against the plastic and eventually develop cracks.  The replacement I received from 64 audio has the same old problem, and I believe it will crack eventually.  I wish 64 audio will solve the issue. 

Could someone recommend a $100 or so cable? I  would like to have a good quality cable on my A6  CIEM  so I don't have to worry about the cracks. 

Apr 15, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #4,805 of 9,124

Just received my 64 Audio A8 CIEM couple days ago.  Also I've written a review here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/1964-audio-a8-custom-iem/reviews/15769
I'm not very good at writing so if I said anything wrong, please forgive me 
smily_headphones1.gif

The sound is amazing with these ADEL modules, I don't know how 1964 Audio did it together with the ADEL tech.  
Bass was top notch, incredibly powerful, dynamic and immersive that allows the mid and high frequencies to stay clear and vibrant.
The custom fit was perfect.  Now to me, Custom IEM is a lot better than Universal IEM, it just sounds a lot better to me.  
Imo, Custom just gives better resolution, bass response, detail and more dynamic compare to Univerals.  I know not everyone will experience like this but to me it is.
I would like to thank Steve, Isabel, and everyone at 64 Audio that helped me.  Great job 64 Audio! 
darthsmile.gif

Apr 15, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #4,806 of 9,124

Just received my 64 Audio A8 CIEM couple days ago.  Also I've written a review here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/1964-audio-a8-custom-iem/reviews/15769

Cool design! Nice review. Short and to-the-point.

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #4,807 of 9,124
  Evolution Variation of Perfection.

Stay tuned for sound impression...

Just spent over an hour listening, switching, measuring, and taking notes while going between S1 (default non-adjustable module), MAM (optional adjustable module), and B1 (new non-adjustable module).  I'm not going to post FR measurements since my setup is not calibrated and I don't want for people to be confused when looking at amplitude peaks.  But the relative measurements support exactly what I'm hearing with U12.

S1 vs B1 - I hear a noticeable reduction in bass quantity where the bass flattens out between 60-100Hz.  You still hear a textured well extended sub-bass and a decent impact of mid-bass punch, but the quantity of the mid-bass is reduced, the attack is a bit slower, less aggressive, the decay stays the same, and overall you still have this analog quality articulate bass.  With reduction of low end impact, now mids have more room to breath and overall sound becomes more balanced.  I even hear more sparkle and some improvement in treble airiness.

Pretty much what I hear is aligned with MAM module adjustment close to fully open position.  Keep in mind, with MAM module fully closed you start at the same level as S1 default non-adjustable module (max bass quantity).  As you continue to open it, somewhere 2/3 of the way (based on what I hear with my U12 and MAM combo)  you hit the minimum low end quantity, and as you continue to open it up the bass quantity starts to go up.  The amount of bass with B1 module is somewhere in the middle between the default S1 (max) and semi-open MAM (min).  Also, B1 has less isolation than S1, which is aligned with what I hear when adjusting MAM.

In a very simple analogy, MAM is like an EQ (not literally) which you can adjust to fine tune the low end quantity/impact.  S1 and B1 are like two presets where you don't have to adjust anything, just select whichever you prefer and enjoy it!  B1 "preset" hits a sweet spot for me
wink.gif

If I'm not mistaken, S1 vs B1 default module selection will be available for future A/U models orders.  Also, my observation is based on U12 and S1/B1/MAM evaluation, and I can't say for sure if exactly the same will be applicable to other models.  Hopefully more people will chime in with their observation.

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #4,809 of 9,124

Just spent over an hour listening, switching, measuring, and taking notes while going between S1 (default non-adjustable module), MAM (optional adjustable module), and B1 (new non-adjustable module).  I'm not going to post FR measurements since my setup is not calibrated and I don't want for people to be confused when looking at amplitude peaks.  But the relative measurements support exactly what I'm hearing with U12.

Twister, any noticeable difference in terms of soundstage, presentation, transparency, separation and layering?

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #4,810 of 9,124

Twister, any noticeable difference in terms of soundstage, presentation, transparency, separation and layering?

Similar to MAM adjustment, you get a perception of a more open back presentation with more airiness and some improvement in soundstage expansion.  With reduction of low end and improved balance, you also get a perception of less congestion which along with more airiness gives you improvement in separation and layering.  But the most noticeable change has to do with low end impact.  I think those with A12 will benefit the most from B1 module.  With U12 the eartip seal is your variable where you can control low end, but with A12 you don't have that luxury.  B1 will solve this problem.

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #4,811 of 9,124

Similar to MAM adjustment, you get a perception of a more open back presentation with more airiness and some improvement in soundstage expansion.  With reduction of low end and improved balance, you also get a perception of less congestion which along with more airiness gives you improvement in separation and layering.  But the most noticeable change has to do with low end impact.  I think those with A12 will benefit the most from B1 module.  With U12 the eartip seal is your variable where you can control low end, but with A12 you don't have that luxury.  B1 will solve this problem.

Thanks once again. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 16, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #4,812 of 9,124
  S1 vs B1 - I hear a noticeable reduction in bass quantity where the bass flattens out between 60-100Hz.  You still hear a textured well extended sub-bass and a decent impact of mid-bass punch, but the quantity of the mid-bass is reduced, the attack is a bit slower, less aggressive, the decay stays the same, and overall you still have this analog quality articulate bass.  With reduction of low end impact, now mids have more room to breath and overall sound becomes more balanced.  I even hear more sparkle and some improvement in treble airiness.

Excellent findings. Will look out for B1... sounds like what I'd like.

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #4,814 of 9,124
Just wanted to share a few more things.  Sometime, even little things are a BIG deal because it shows company's attention to details.

When you order your replacement ADEL modules, 64 Audio/ASIUS ships it with a really cool 3D printed holder which is great when you remove your default S1 for replacement or just want to keep ADEL modules outside of 64 Audio new case (their new case has storage pockets for 2 sets of modules).  Here is how it looks, you get one holder per set, and there is no cover:

Also, I got another little surprise, another little thing with a BIG functionality.  I'm not sure if/when it's going to be offered, how much it will cost, etc. but it's another VERY clever 3D printed creation which turns ADEL filter module into an earplug.  Just a little plastic 3D printed cylinder where you can insert ADEL module and attach any eartip to turn it into a DIY ADEL universal earplug.  Perhaps, if you add some kind of a lanyard with adjustable loops to hook around the ADEL's cap, you can string a pair together so you don't loose them and also to assist in pulling them out of your ears (not a problem as is, you can easily grab it).  Here are a few pictures.  I definitely want to see this being turned into a product/accessory to buy (I'm sure it will be cheap) or maybe to even include it as a bonus with purchase of replacement ADEL modules.

I like the fit, nearly disappears in your ears.  Now since I'm using B1 with U12, I can use S1 as earplugs with maximum isolation:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back