ZERO 24/192 DAC, Anyone heard of this DAC amp?
Jan 8, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #91 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironman64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, realistically, where's the threshold? Where does this unit (stock) bottom out at? If it performs perfectly for its price-point, then how much money did we all just save?
wink.gif

Thats a good question. Probably safe to say it performs above the $300 mark, we're just not sure yet how much higher. Even if it was the 250 mark, we all made out like bandits!!
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #92 of 113
Well, what a shame . . . a darn shame. And here I thought our wallets were supposed to be hurting!

Who knew you could actually save some money 'round here?
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #93 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats a good question. Probably safe to say it performs above the $300 mark, we're just not sure yet how much higher. Even if it was the 250 mark, we all made out like bandits!!
biggrin.gif

Hmmm....

Does the inbuilt amp in it compare to your LD MKII or II++?

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #94 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm....

Does the inbuilt amp in it compare to your LD MKII or II++?

I'll have to say no to that, but with an explanation. The LDII++ & the new MKII are excellent tube amps. The headphone amp in the Zero is an Opamp based headphone amp. They are not really going to compete with each other due to this. They both sound great in their own way and that is good! Those that need a DAC/Amp, are jumping on the Zero. I think you will more than pleased if you wait for the MKII. Hint, Hint.
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #95 of 113
Ah ok
smily_headphones1.gif

So since I already have a very good DAC I'll just get a good amp.

I thought I'd be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and save money by selling my TC-7510 and buying the Zero instead of a new Amp.

But then I wouldn't be able to have the coolness that is Vacuum Tubes
wink.gif

Can't wait for your review of the MK II!!!
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #96 of 113
Quote:

So, realistically, where's the threshold? Where does this unit (stock) bottom out at? If it performs perfectly for its price-point, then how much money did we all just save?
wink.gif

Certainly, people who got this unit saved a lot of listening torture. The Zero is not perfect, but is so fun / pleasant to my ears. Music sounds so sentimental and full. It makes you enjoy what ever you throw at it.

What impress me the most, is it sounds a lot less aggressive than my tube amps, been an opamp design. Recently, I promised to my self not to use an opamp amplifier anymore, but I was wrong.

I can not imagine this amp / dac built with better internal components or modded. It makes you sell all your gear. You start asking yourself why I bought this or that. Stay away from this item!!. It will make you unhappy with everything you listened before.
frown.gif
That all I can say. Good luck.

TURBO

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #97 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by TURBO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Certainly, people who got this unit saved a lot of listening torture. The Zero is not perfect, but is so fun / pleasant to my ears. Music sounds so sentimental and full. It makes you enjoy what ever you throw at it.

What impress me the most, is it sounds a lot less aggressive than my tube amps, been an opamp design. Recently, I promised to my self not to use an opamp amplifier anymore, but I was wrong.

I can not imagine this amp / dac built with better internal components or modded. It makes you sell all your gear. You start asking yourself why I bought this or that. Stay away from this item!!. It will make you unhappy with everything you listened before.
frown.gif
That all I can say. Good luck.

TURBO

I had this mental picture of turbo sitting with his Zero, fending off temptations to buy more stuff!
biggrin.gif
Glad you like yours turbo! The only thing better is to have two of them!
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #98 of 113
I think It's a good thing to have Zero's headphone amp and LD MKIV SE. I can let's say listen to soft material using the LD and some metal or other with Zero's amp.

I got today some op-amps from Analog Devices: AD8397, AD8066 and AD8599. Too bad they are all SOIC because they don't seem to be available in DIP, so I have to buy some Browndogs for them.

Also I have couple of op-amps coming from Linear.

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #99 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think It's a good thing to have Zero's headphone amp and LD MKIV SE. I can let's say listen to soft material using the LD and some metal or other with Zero's amp.

I got today some op-amps from Analog Devices: AD8397, AD8066 and AD8599. Too bad they are all SOIC because they don't seem to be available in DIP, so I have to buy some Browndogs for them.

Also I have couple of op-amps coming from Linear.

That is a good point. In a mood for solid state, use the Zero. In the mood for tube sound, use the tube amp. I do this often and I'm sure others will discover how convenient it is.
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #100 of 113
Quote:

Well, what a shame . . . a darn shame. And here I thought our wallets were supposed to be hurting!

Who knew you could actually save some money 'round here?
biggrin.gif

IRONMAN, did you get your Zero yet?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #101 of 113
I'm going to apologize ahead of time if this is a dumb question.
What (if any) cables came with, besides a power cord? I wouldn't imagine that outgoing RCA cables were included, are they? In which case (this is for Penchum or other LD amp owners), did any analog cables come with your LD MKxxx? Or is that not something that would normally be included?

Jan 20, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #102 of 113
I got a small package with my LD MKIV SE which includes: pretty nice looking RCA-cable, 1/4 to 1/8 adapter, jumpers and a spare fuse.

Jan 20, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #103 of 113
That's cool...I'll have to figure out what cables, etc I need to upgrade as time goes on, but at least with included stock basics I can start using some of this gear as it arrives at my house. I don't want to have a room full of new equipment & not be able to use it because of not having cables.

Jan 23, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #104 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by unbiased /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This ZERO 24/192 DAC/amp already has a line out for you to plug into your preamp. I don't know if it is by passing the head amp though, but I imagine it is. The line out is fixed and not controlled by the volumn control, so there is a good chance they did not tap it off from the head amp. But I am not 100% sure of this yet because I have not looked for this aspect of it when I had it opened. It's closed up now burning in so I cannot see it. I will try to remember to see if I an trace the circuit audio signal path next time I am in it.

I'm primarily looking for a DAC to feed my preamp. Has anyone been able to verify this yet (line out independent of headphone amp)? Thanks

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #105 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1Turbo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm primarily looking for a DAC to feed my preamp. Has anyone been able to verify this yet (line out independent of headphone amp)? Thanks

Yes, the headamp section is independent. There is an IC controlled switch on the front for switching between pre-amp (DAC) and phones. It is great to not have to connect or disconnect cables all the time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back