Where did you go to college?
Sep 11, 2005 at 6:17 AM Post #31 of 208
Campus-wise, I can't say Georgetown, where I did my undergrad years, had all that great of a campus. Sure Copley Hall was great - but many schools have impressive buildings. Still, being in DC was nice, esp. for someone who thought they'd go into government service after graduating. But I suppose at the undergraduate level, I might actually recommend other schools (Princeton, Yale, for example) for people interested in government service.

Harvard, where I went to law school, has a fantastic campus. There really is something about watching the rowers on the Charles river in the early morning. Anyway, Harvard has more money than most countries and you can certainly feel it (though not necessarily everywhere.) Baker Hall (for the business school), Langdell (for the law-school) - you get so spoiled by the resources, you really do take for granted that you have been afforded an opportunity to learn completely unfettered by limitations on either staff, faculty or other resources. It really is a special place, and I wouldn't turn it down to go to any other school (Yale included).

I'm currently at NYU Stern for my MBA. NYU has always been my true love - I actually accepted a position at NYU Law before changing my mind and going to Harvard for law school instead. The resources at NYU Stern are surprisingly good (even for my insane standards) - modern classrooms and a fantastic career office (my main worry, actually). Sure Columbia uptown is more prestigious, but I guess I'd rather live and actually be in downtown NYC than in that ivory tower up in Harlem.

But, but but but, my favorite college campus - I only spent a summer there, but Middlebury College up in Vermont. Beautiful small town, man I've never seen grass that green. Adorable, with gobs of character. Dunno if I'd want to spend 4 years there (esp without a car) but for a summer, man, what a fantastic vacation. I'm hooked on New England (esp Maine) as a result.

Best regards,

-Jason

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #32 of 208
visited LSU, Cal (berkeley), Cal (davis), Washington, Colorado, Michigan

my fav are Colorado and Michigan

attending last year at Texas (austin)... looking to Colorado/Oregon/Oregon State for grad school

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #33 of 208
I attended MIT, but now attending school at NYU - Clive Davis Department of Recorded Music

http://clivedavisdept.tisch.nyu.edu/page/home.html

It's much better here than at MIT. I love NYC much more (I was an NYC-born guy!), I've got more muscle on my body, the cafes are better, the resources are surprisingly up there, and the girls are much more attractive (duh)
biggrin.gif

MIT was more prestigeous, obviously, but looking ahead at my future, and at the business I am already conducting with my best friend, it seemed like the much more obvious choice to make the move to New York City.

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #35 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I attended MIT, but now attending school at NYU - Clive Davis Department of Recorded Music

http://clivedavisdept.tisch.nyu.edu/page/home.html

It's much better here than at MIT. I love NYC much more (I was an NYC-born guy!), I've got more muscle on my body, the cafes are better, the resources are surprisingly up there, and the girls are much more attractive (duh)
biggrin.gif

MIT was more prestigeous, obviously, but looking ahead at my future, and at the business I am already conducting with my best friend, it seemed like the much more obvious choice to make the move to New York City.

cant beat the east coast... the girls the food...

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #36 of 208
hehe campuses - i forgot to mention Fordham's campus in Lincoln Center. what campus? law school campus for me was the underground tunnel from the dorms to the school and back - i turned pasty white just shuttling back and forth underground for years. the only cool things were-

1)Janet Jackson's pagoda penthouse was eye level with my dorms. they threw some mean parties over there.

2)MTV Video Music Awards the year they had it at the Met. like a circus next door. Darn kids and their rap music!

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:13 AM Post #37 of 208
Being from Europe, I'm not quite familiar with the exact definition of a college. I do have some idea, but it might not necessarily be 100% correct.

- What's the difference between a college and a university?

- At what age and for how long does one attend a college?

- What degree does one graduate from a college?

- How big a percentage of high school graduates go to college in the US?

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:20 AM Post #38 of 208
University of Cincinnati - College of Design, Architecture, And Planning (DAAP).

Started in Chemical Engineering/PreMed, ended up with a BS in Industrial Design.

If I tell people I went to UC around here, they say, "really? Which one? UCLA? Berkley? Irvine?"

I say, "uh, in Ohio."

They say, "really? I didn't know there was one out there."

-Ed

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #39 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by rauer
Being from Europe, I'm not quite familiar with the exact definition of a college. I do have some idea, but it might not necessarily be 100% correct.

- What's the difference between a college and a university?

- At what age and for how long does one attend a college?

- What degree does one graduate from a college?

- How big a persentage of high school graduates go to college in the US?

-A college is a all-in-one deal. you have different departments, like english or history, but all in all it's self-contained to provide all the curriculum you'll need. a university is a collection of specialized colleges or schools, all of which have their own departments. as you can imagine, universities tend to be a bit larger that colleges, as is the physical campus they reside on.

-usually 17 or 18 years old, and for 4 years to get a bachelors degree. typically lol.

- most folks who go to higher education go to university - most of the state-funded institutions are big state universities, and their campuses can be so big that they aren't even in the same city (University of California - LA, or Berkeley, etc). Colleges are alot smaller and greater in number and get a good share of kids going there as well, including community colleges and technical schools that aren't part of a bigger university.

-how many high school grads goto higher education? a minority. not everyone can afford it, or want to go, etc.

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #40 of 208
USC School of Theatre
UC Davis School of Medicine

Go Trojans.

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:37 AM Post #42 of 208
Thanks, Jahn.

Now trying to clarify this further to myself. One goes to a college which is usually a part of a university. The college curriculum could be arts, science, engineering, premed or something like that. One graduates with the degree of BA or BSc. Then you either leave the college/university to work or whatever or go to a graduate school to get an MA/MSc, PhD (do you have to get the MA/MSc first?), law degree, MD.

Is that about it?

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #43 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc goose
USC School of Theatre
UC Davis School of Medicine

Go Trojans.

How did you go from theatre to medicine?
confused.gif

Oh, and I did my undergrad in Davis also. Can't say I really enjoyed my time there though.....
plainface.gif

Sep 11, 2005 at 8:07 AM Post #45 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by rauer
Thanks, Jahn.

Now trying to clarify this further to myself. One goes to a college which is usually a part of a university. The college curriculum could be arts, science, engineering, premed or something like that. One graduates with the degree of BA or BSc. Then you either leave the college/university to work or whatever or go to a graduate school to get an MA/MSc, PhD (do you have to get the MA/MSc first?), law degree, MD.

Is that about it?

that's about right. say you go to Columbia University for undergraduate studies. it's possible to just stay at Columbia University for Law School to get your post-graduate degree (if you have the grades).

but oberlin college is a small liberal arts college. it doesn't have a law school. so once you graduate, you must say goodbye to that campus forever and go somewhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back