Ultrasone Edition 8
Feb 26, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #1,426 of 2,099
Hi fellow head-fiers

In a few months' time work is going to make me live overseas and travel A LOT for 3-6 months - not a short period but also not long enough for me to be lugging around my full home rig (desktop with Essence ST + WA2 + T1) to where I maybe going.  I currently have a pair of DT1350s for short travel use but while they sound excellent I find on-ears starting to feel uncomfortable after 2 hours and on top of that they don't sound quite on the same league as the T1s.  So my search for a pair of close-back around ears portables/transportable that would hopefully be easily driven from a portable/transportable rig which also rival my T1s in SQ had led me to consider getting the ED8.  So after going through this thread it seems like there are quite a few people who owns both T1 and ED8 and some seems to think that they may even compliment each other which makes it seem like another major bonus for when I get back home to use with my home rig, so am I looking in the right direction or should I look elsewhere?  

Keep in mind that my source would be mainly from an IPT via LOD to a portable amp (UHA-4) or directly from a laptop so I'm looking to go for minimum gear to carry (and to purchase!).

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #1,428 of 2,099
Me too. Some people seem to hate them but I love how they look. My next cans are going to be closed since I'm probably going to live my whole next year sharing a room. I have to resist though!

Quote:
I'm so close to pulling the trigger on these...
I don't understand how people don't like the looks... anyway.

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #1,429 of 2,099
I think it's difficult to hate the look, but then appearance is subjective. I think more people hate how you are paying a lot for the luxurious materials used in the construction rather than the audio quality.

They do sound great to me (some people think they are the best closed can in production) but I will admit that they are overpriced. I got mine for a good price second hand, but if I paid full price I would feel slightly ripped off.

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #1,430 of 2,099
I think it's difficult to hate the look, but then appearance is subjective. I think more people hate how you are paying a lot for the luxurious materials used in the construction rather than the audio quality.

They do sound great to me (some people think they are the best closed can in production) but I will admit that they are overpriced. I got mine for a good price second hand, but if I paid full price I would feel slightly ripped off.

What would you say is a fair price for a new one?

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #1,431 of 2,099
Well, I got my Palladium for £750 from a fellow head-fier. They were only 2 months old so I think that was a great deal compared to the full price of £1250 here in the UK.

It's definitely worth looking for a used pair in good condition.

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #1,432 of 2,099
Well, I got my Palladium for £750 from a fellow head-fier. They were only 2 months old so I think that was a great deal compared to the full price of £1250 here in the UK.

It's definitely worth looking for a used pair in good condition.

Depending on the retailer you can get a new pair for 1000$ USD... (Which is what I'll probably do). The lowest I found in terms of used was 850$ for a pair with only half the warranty left but still great condition. I'd rather shell out the extra 150 and get a new one with full warranty.

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #1,433 of 2,099
IMO they're best looking headphones out there, and it certainly helps they have a distinctive look.  I agree with the others how the look may outstrip the sonics, but to me they're definitely on the level of the L3000s I owned for a couple years (take that with a grain as I sold those back in 2007), and the build quality certainly is up to par so they're not _that_ expensive.  Compared to the L3ks they seem to give up some in the bass for more accurate mids, highs can be hit or miss depending on how you drive them and source material.

I have some Thunderpants en route and am eagerly awaiting to see how they compare.  One thing though, at less than .6 lbs the Ed8s are great all day at the office phones.  They block out just the right amount of noise, I can still barely hear my phone ring when playing music as moderate volumes.

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #1,434 of 2,099
I would assume that they don't leak a lot either then...?

Quote:
They block out just the right amount of noise, I can still barely hear my phone ring when playing music as moderate volumes.

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #1,435 of 2,099
Feb 28, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #1,437 of 2,099
Good to see a fellow Swede here. If they isolate well I will keep the volume relatively low so I guess it's not an issue.

How are you liking your Edition 8? 

Quote:
It depends on how high the volume is.

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #1,440 of 2,099
For what it's worth, mine don't leak much either so it might be a fitment issue. I find that it takes a moment for the foam in the earpads to mold onto my ears, though. 

I've had my pair for about three months now. I absolutely love them from an aesthetic standpoint -- perhaps the best-looking pair of headphones out there. The build quality and materials just radiate quality as well. I really wanted to love this headphone, but I'm having issues with the sound that does not justify the price tag -- namely, the glaring strident treble and an artificial-sounding tonality. I've had these complaints on lesser Ultrasone models, and hoped the ED8 would alleviate them. While it's not as bad as the lower models I've tried, it still hasn't fixed them to the point where I'd be able to accept that I paid about $1K for them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back