Ultrasone Edition 8
Feb 29, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #1,441 of 2,099
Well I caved and bought a pair of Ruthenium and it just came into the office.

These phones are truly beautiful, I love the look of it.  I've seen the Palladium version in real life but this is the first time I've seen the Ruthenium version and I think the Ruthenium version looks better.  Added the smell of real leather and the mirror finish Ruthenium and it screams luxury without being too loud, in fact I reckon it is a bit understated due to its simple lines.  Comfort wise my ears fit into the small ear cups no problem, tucks right in and not touching anything - except that I wear glasses and my current pair tuned for monitor work has straight arms so they don't tuck in so I had to put them over the top of the cups (probably really bad for my eyes so I'm not doing this for longer than 15mins - just enough for me to get a taste of the sound), I'll have to wait till I get home to my pair of listening glasses to really test the comfort.  But if I'm not wearing glasses these phones would be really comfortable for my head and ear size, on-ears just don't have this level of comfort IMO.

Now the sound.  I think they sound pretty amazing just out of my IPT - very musical, don't notice sibilance or anything, and going to the UHA-4 seems to give the low end some more quantity at about the right level for me.  I really like S-Logic as it seems to do exactly what I like with the T1 (which also had decentralised driver placement) - it takes the sound out of the head and makes it more 3D sounding, it will be hard going back to IEMs now.  

Initial impressions is certainly good, didn't find that I need any brain-burn-in to the sound at all, now I know I'll have something great to listen to when I leave home so I won't miss my home rig as much. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #1,443 of 2,099
Hi guys. I'm new to head-fi. I did allot of research here on the Edition 8s before going ahead and ordering a pair. I am still awaiting for them to come. I'm now thinking how I ever got to spending over a thousand for a pair of headphones. Do you guys think its worth it? I might consider selling them without even getting to try it. If so would anyone be interested in purchasing them from me, once they arrive? 

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #1,444 of 2,099

Quote:
 1) Do you guys think its worth it? I might consider selling them without even getting to try it. 2) If so would anyone be interested in purchasing them from me, once they arrive? 

1) That is a subjective question.  Personally, I can think of options I consider 'better' at that price point if that's what you're asking.  
2) Try an interest check in the "For Sale" forums or eBay.

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #1,450 of 2,099

Quote:
I've been going back in forth between the T5p and ED8 as a portable solution... What music do you enjoy the ED8 with?
Are there any genres that don't do too well?

I can't comment on what genres the ED8 are not good at...but I can say for what I listen to (latin jazz, salsa, mambo, big band latin, classical) it brings the instruments to life around my head.

And since having the FiiO E7 amping the ED8s, I am in a different world!

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #1,451 of 2,099
Could you elaborate on the differences between with and without the Fiio E7? I'm getting the ED8 next week and I'm still not sure if I should get the E7 or not. 

Don't bother, I can just try it with my E10, I forgot about that one. :)

Quote:

I can't comment on what genres the ED8 are not good at...but I can say for what I listen to (latin jazz, salsa, mambo, big band latin, classical) it brings the instruments to life around my head.

And since having the FiiO E7 amping the ED8s, I am in a different world

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #1,452 of 2,099
Quote:
How about actually naming them? 

From what I've owned, JH13's (and by extension possibly other customs) Thunderpants and possibly D5K with Jmoney.  
From what I've auditioned, the CD3K and K340, neither of which are current production models.
DX1000's and stock D2/5/7000's have their pluses and minuses and it would be a toss up for me between them or the Edition 8.  But they are around half the price.

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #1,453 of 2,099
You mind explaining what you didn't like about them? 

Quote:
Quote:
From what I've owned, JH13's (and by extension possibly other customs) Thunderpants and possibly D5K with Jmoney.  
From what I've auditioned, the CD3K and K340, neither of which are current production models.
DX1000's and stock D2/5/7000's have their pluses and minuses and it would be a toss up for me between them or the Edition 8.  But they are around half the price.

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #1,454 of 2,099

Quote:
Could you elaborate on the differences between with and without the Fiio E7? I'm getting the ED8 next week and I'm still not sure if I should get the E7 or not. 

Don't bother, I can just try it with my E10, I forgot about that one. :)

Thanks for sparing me answering your initial question...I am not the best in describing differences in sound, I usually just go by the experience I get by listening to music...gut feel? :p

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #1,455 of 2,099
Quote:
You mind explaining what you didn't like about them? 

In short (as I've made my views known before and really don't want to rehash old arguments): Speed, impact, resolution, tonal balance.  It's a pleasant headphone to listen to, and it's a good headphone - just not great. 

As far as isolation/leakage and portability, they beat everything on my list except for customs.  If they were $5-600 I would probably buy them over Denon or JVC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back