<title deleted>
Sep 20, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #2 of 260
So now you know.
you need at least 150 hours before the bass truly comes in and I have found there are time points after this when definition will change albeit small changes but none the less significant.

'Cables should be heard and not seen' - well not quite but their appearance has to be secondary to how they convey music.

After extensive trialling, I have reached a definitive construction ie. dialectric/conductors/design etc. so decided to try and create a pleasant exterior finish.

I have to say that I'm really pleased with how they look but repeat it's the sonics that count most of all.

Sep 20, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Stuart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So now you know.
you need at least 150 hours before the bass truly comes in and I have found there are time points after this when definition will change albeit small changes but none the less significant.

X2. For anything with silver in it - though overall SQ will still vary depending on the silver quality, core size, winding, dialetics, etc. But, yes, burn in is essential to hear what any silver-related IC can truly offer. Happy listening to them, Asr!
lambda.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #4 of 260
i dont believe its cable burn in....

I can get a well used phono cable and swap it for another that is in my system. The sound will remain pretty much identicle for about 30 mins and then slowly change.
If I then swap the cable back the same thing happens.

with speaker cable the opposite happens.
I can swap out my speaker cable and the system will sound terrible/bright/harsh for about an hour and then slowly change to sound good , swapping back also does the same.

I believe it is to do with the amps caps getting used to and settling with a slightly different load.

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #5 of 260
...but cable burn-in can't or doesn't exist.
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #7 of 260
In the first hours after arrival of my silver interconnect I felt it a bit colorless and cold. I don't see it that anymore, even when swapping with copper interconnects. I realized yesterday that it's my only interconnect I find nothing wrong with it.

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 260
I thought I heard something change in the sound even if I just leave my stereo alone for a few days. Looks like the effect of burn-in goes away after a while, ie temporary; although the difference is not as dramatic as a new cable

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #10 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the aftermath:

badday.jpg

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH gasp AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that rules.

On another note Qables offers a new deep burn in method for some extra money that uses some fancy pants machine to send a constant current through the cables for a certain period.

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #11 of 260
Just want to add that the Audio Art IC-3 is one of the best value interconnect for the money. Actually one can ordered it pre-cooked as well for an extra US$5 per cable.

I have a pair and despite trying the various much more expensive choices I am still keeping the IC-3. Too good to let them go, even though they have been little used nowadays.

F. Lo

Sep 21, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #12 of 260
If you leave the cable unused for a few months you need to burn it in again.

I experimented with my Valhalla interconnect, it has 8 conductors inside and I only use 1 conductor per signal. I kept it running for half a year, then I switched the conductors and it sounded dull with lack of low-level detail. But after a few days of burn-in the transparency was back like before.

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #13 of 260
cable burn in is real. i have noticed changes for the better with all of my equipment, but cables in my experience take longer to burn in than other components and the change or improvement is more noticeable. i think 150 hours is a good number to recommend.

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #14 of 260
Well, burn-in period as depends on the material. Pure silver cables can take a very long time - at least 500 hours, to settle in. Copper requires less. This is one reason why many do not like pure silver as they are drawing their conclusions too early.

Gold cables, however, does not seem to respond to burn-in like other conductors. It sounds smooth and coherent from the start.

F. Lo

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #15 of 260
Honestly I like to hear the cables burning in. Hearing the changes is really fascinating and really lets you appreciate the end result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back