The discovery thread!
Feb 3, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #6,766 of 100,119
I wonder about them cans that are on demo at them shops. I don't know if those are a good indicator of a cans sound quality..Especially open back cans. I wish I was in Seoul..Soju is a killer.

Feb 3, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #6,767 of 100,119
Ok, I have two discoveries for you today:

1) Ath ad900x's. Anyone ever heard of them lol? Mind blown
L3000.gif
  I can't say how good they are compared to other more expensive cans (ie HE400's etc), but wow, they gotta be close. I just find myself listening to to everything in amazement.

2) Ektoplazm: "Welcome to Ektoplazm, the world’s #1 source of free and legal psytrance, techno, and downtempo music". My buddy Nick led me to that site. Free FLAC downloads? Amazing music? Wow, there's a lot of good stuff there.

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #6,770 of 100,119
Quote:
I wonder about them cans that are on demo at them shops. I don't know if those are a good indicator of a cans sound quality..Especially open back cans. I wish I was in Seoul..Soju is a killer.

Yea i had that same thought about the demo cans. but i described what i heard from those headphones as best i could. and from what i heard the AD900X sounded the best. 

You should take a trip to seoul. It is an amazing city.  Can't say i tried the Soju, not really into drinking, but i did try some Makgeolli. 

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #6,771 of 100,119
While walking around Seoul's Yongsan Electronics market ( imagine about 8 blocks and about 20 buildings full of electronic stuff ) i happened to walk by a street vendor that had an assortment of headphones. Most of which were cutesy stuff that just yelled i sound crappy... but i did find a small box that looked promising.

I now present to you the LG LE410 Quadbeat. They were originally bundled with the optimus G cell phone but become more popular than the phone so LG started selling them separately.

You can buy them in Black and White for ~$20. 

Thats a pretty bold claim on the front "Hi-Fidelity sound to satisfy music connoisseurs" but i must say they are living up to it so far. The Quadbeat has a level of detail and clarity i have not heard in an earphone before. 

On open box i was met with forward mids, energetic treble with only a hint sibilance. bass while present clear and accurate was a bit low in quantity and not very extended.  A bump up in eq around 60hz helped to bring life to the bass as well as the entire presentation as it now sounds more open and airy. Will burn in more and follow up. 

Also there is a review of the LG Quadbeat on GoldenEars

P.S. The stock tips are very very very soft and i had some difficulty getting a good seal with them so now i'm using the tips that came with my audiofit BA ( rebranded Auvio Armature?) that are much thicker and more conical in shape. 

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #6,772 of 100,119
I like the design of them quadbeats. They are being sold on ebay for around $25 shipped. Based on that graph on golden ears. These do look promising for the price. I tried some of the Samsung iems that are bundled with the galaxy player and smartphones but was not too excited about their sound but these LGs look like they can perform. Look forward to some impressions on them. Good job in eyeing the potential find here Nightmistx22.. Look forward to read more about them after your burn in.

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #6,773 of 100,119
Received my AD900x yesterday, been burning them for around 15 hours already.
Sound out of the box does not really impress me much going from my white M50, I actually found my M50 sound cleaner than AD900x. I hope after fully burn-in (100 hours??), it will be like what Dsnuts reviewed. Well my M50 wasn't sound cleaned on open box either.

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #6,775 of 100,119
I didn't have one. I just ordered everyone to get one after I heard them. Lol. At the time of purchase for me it was selling for $21 so I didn't even bother writing an impression I pretty much knew everyone would enjoy them for that price. Plus. You own the better version of them in the CKN50 yet you don't open them? That is a mistake. I know you want the newer CKN70 when that comes out but I am gonna be honest with you. These stand on their own merits. I have them in my ears now. They sound great. Probably a lot better than they have a right to be.

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #6,776 of 100,119
I like IEMs, I just never find good ones. Anything about them look interesting?

Since it looks like iSK tries to cater to pro audio and these are monitors possibly for stage use, I thought they may be something interesting to try. They seem to be the best off-brand IEMs I saw on aliexpress. You see a large range of decent-looking headphones, but decent IEMs are much scarcer, so I suppose that's what caught my attention.

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #6,777 of 100,119
Quote:

Is edm music real instraments?  Isn't that like Donna Summer, Disco/Dance music?

That is correct. No real instruments, and only Donna Summer in my collection!

I only got introduced to trance (I may have said edm, but I meant trance) etc a month or so ago, but whatever it is, a lot of it sounds pretty darned cool. Anyway, at the moment I' rocking to Muse (yes, real instruments!) in anticipation of their upcoming concert
smile.gif

How are your 'ol Somics doing? Any new mods or impressions?

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #6,778 of 100,119
Quote:

That is correct. No real instruments, and only Donna Summer in my collection!

I only got introduced to trance (I may have said edm, but I meant trance) etc a month or so ago, but whatever it is, a lot of it sounds pretty darned cool. Anyway, at the moment I' rocking to Muse (yes, real instruments!) in anticipation of their upcoming concert
smile.gif

How are your 'ol Somics doing? Any new mods or impressions?

The Somic's way over achieve, huge soundstage, detail and natural sounding, (no mods needed for these except Shure 840 pads).  But my Sennheiser, HD600's, are better than both the Somic's and the AD900X......for $299 shipped, I got a good deal, and finally found something I can live with for a looooooooooooong time (will never part with these).  They have a true natural and neutral sound, large soundstage, and the best vocals I have ever heard..............plus a removeable cable, that I already have plans for multiple cables over time. They are most definately an AD900X upgrade!

I found some EDM, and listened on soundcard, just so I knew what all of the younger headfiers are listening to!  But by description, "dance music", disco type music, it is something I would rather not listen to.  Will not be my prefered genre..............eeeevvveeeerrrrrr!  LOL 

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #6,779 of 100,119
Quote:
I found some EDM, and listened on soundcard, just so I knew what all of the younger headfiers are listening to!  But by description, "dance music", disco type music, it is something I would rather not listen to.  Will not be my prefered genre..............eeeevvveeeerrrrrr!  LOL 

Like I said, I didn't mean to say "EDM" lol

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #6,780 of 100,119
Quote:

The Somic's way over achieve, huge soundstage, detail and natural sounding, (no mods needed for these except Shure 840 pads).  But my Sennheiser, HD600's, are better than both the Somic's and the AD900X......for $299 shipped, I got a good deal, and finally found something I can live with for a looooooooooooong time (will never part with these).  They have a true natural and neutral sound, large soundstage, and the best vocals I have ever heard..............plus a removeable cable, that I already have plans for multiple cables over time. They are most definately an AD900X upgrade!

On amazon.ca, the HD600's are over $500 Canadian. Might be able to get them for as low as $400 Canadian (plus $40 tenso shipping) on amazon.ja, but there would probably be customs as well, so again, near $500. I suspect your HD600's are used, not that it matters if they work!. Great deal for $299! I look forward to hearing the HD600's some day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back