The discovery thread!
Feb 2, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #6,751 of 100,117
Quote:
What's the newest budget IEM that everyone is talking about? I'm getting kind-of bored with my JVC FX-40s. Just bought some M80s replace my FA-004s, and looking to upgrade my IEM too.

I would redirect you to the VC02 thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/635372/vsonic-vc02-info-appreciation-thread . $40 iem with removable cable and superb sound quality :p

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #6,752 of 100,117
Quote:
Quote:
What's the newest budget IEM that everyone is talking about? I'm getting kind-of bored with my JVC FX-40s. Just bought some M80s replace my FA-004s, and looking to upgrade my IEM too.

I would redirect you to the VC02 thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/635372/vsonic-vc02-info-appreciation-thread . $40 iem with removable cable and superb sound quality :p

How difficult is it to find the cables, would you place them above Brainwavz R1s, and wow... those are pretty sexy. I really like the GR01 look it has going on.

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #6,753 of 100,117
Quote:
Anyone's 900x makes a weird hum when the cables are rested against your arm?  I have nothign playing and it's connected to my Magni, if there's no contact with my right arm it's dead silence but once my arm touches it there's a slight hum that gets louder with pressure.

Static perhaps? I don't have this issue.

Quote:

I would snap up a ATH-CKN50.

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #6,754 of 100,117
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone's 900x makes a weird hum when the cables are rested against your arm?  I have nothign playing and it's connected to my Magni, if there's no contact with my right arm it's dead silence but once my arm touches it there's a slight hum that gets louder with pressure.

Static perhaps? I don't have this issue.

Quote:

I would snap up a ATH-CKN50.

That's a very unique look they have going on. Do you know if they are deep or mid insertion and if they would work with Monster or MEElectronics triple flange tips?

Feb 2, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #6,755 of 100,117
They are very comfy. I don't see why you can't fit any tip you want on these but they do have that circular rubbery guide. They are comfy for me no complaints there. The cord is kinda wack as it is all over the place but beyond that. If you want bang for money. Try one. It will surprise you. The bass is excellent on them. It is so nicely textured and has a surprising amount of control in the whole sound. Smooth is a part of the sound and I am appreciating this aspect of the new AT sound more and more.  I have around 60 hours of burn in on mine and it sounds great to me. I can't wait for the new CKN70. Excited to hear those. But for the cash these CKN50s are hard to beat imo.

It is a better balanced MH1C and the detail level of the FXD70/ FXD80. The bass is better on these CKN50s imo. Mid insertion

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #6,756 of 100,117
Quote:
OK Guys, how can this thread which has so many bass oriented followers have ZERO mention of the Bowers and Wilkins C5?

Because it's $190.

The Discovery thread is for things that drastically out-perform their cost. Because of diminishing returns, this is very hard to do at higher prices.

If it was $30-$50, there'd be a lot more hype from this thread about it.

It's kind of an unspoken rule that for something to be good worthy of the Discovery thread, it has to be sonically worth at least twice its cost.

JVC HA-S500? A $70 headphone that beat $150 headphones.
Somic EFi-82 MT? A $40 headphone that beat $200 headphones. 
Audio Technica AD900X? A $180 headphone that beat $400 headphones.
ELE DAC? A $20 DAC that competes with $80-$100 DACs.
Monoprice 8320? A $7 IEM that competes with $40-$50 IEMs.
JVC HA-FX40? A $18 IEM that competes with $60-$80 IEMs.

As you can see by the HA-S500 and the AD900X, things become a lot less of a "deal" when the prices get higher. The reason that the Monoprice is able to compete up to and over 7 times its cost is because its cost is only $7. An AD900X, for example, would have to beat a headphone worth over $1200 to have that high of a value:cost ratio.

Anyway, I'll probably be ordering an iSK headphone over the next several weeks. Which one should I go with, folks?

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #6,757 of 100,117
Quote:
They are very comfy. I don't see why you can't fit any tip you want on these but they do have that circular rubbery guide. They are comfy for me no complaints there. The cord is kinda wack as it is all over the place but beyond that. If you want bang for money. Try one. It will surprise you. The bass is excellent on them. It is so nicely textured and has a surprising amount of control in the whole sound. Smooth is a part of the sound and I am appreciating this aspect of the new AT sound more and more.  I have around 60 hours of burn in on mine and it sounds great to me. I can't wait for the new CKN70. Excited to hear those. But for the cash these CKN50s are hard to beat imo.

It is a better balanced MH1C and the detail level of the FXD70/ FXD80. The bass is better on these CKN50s imo. Mid insertion

Oh, how tight hitting is the bass? A member on here has PM'd me telling me that they are selling some and I have wanted to get a FXD80 but thought I'd go for something a bit newer.

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #6,760 of 100,117
Quote:
I think it's a carbon-copy of the Takstar...something. If so, it wouldn't really be a "Discovery". I kinda want to try something different of theirs. 

Thanks for the suggestion, though. Does anything else of theirs look good?

I don't know - they all pretty much seem to be copies of Superlux and Takstar. I guess there are some OEM products that everyone is rebranding and using and without someone comparing them we won't know if there is any difference in sound

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #6,761 of 100,117
Quote:
I don't know - they all pretty much seem to be copies of Superlux and Takstar. I guess there are some OEM products that everyone is rebranding and using and without someone comparing them we won't know if there is any difference in sound

Well, a lot of these are obvious OEMs.

But, the HP series looks original, or at least unlike anything I've ever seen before. They sell a bunch of other studio products too, so I'm thinking they might be a lot like Takstar in that they OEM most of their stuff.

Still, it looks like they at least have good taste in OEMs.

Feb 3, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #6,764 of 100,117
I was up in Seoul doing some site seeing before i head back stateside and found a shop in the iPark mall at Yongsan Station. The Headphone shop (yes thats its name) is just a small vender or kiosk if you will but the wall they do have has several major brands all just hanging there for your sampling delight. I made a beeline for the AD900X and was pretty amazed. 

Disclaimer: The following is a quick review of some the the headphones i was able to listen to. Please keep in mind that 1) it was a busy mall. 2) the source was my HTC Evo 4g ( the OG one) 3) my ears are not as trained or proficient as the reputable reviewers here in head-fi. 4) These were Demo headphones thus i have no idea on how much burn-in or abuse they might have had prior to me listening to them. 5)  I had been listening to music with my philips SHE3590 most of the day before listening to the following headphones.

AD900X: Well balanced, good treble energy hint of sibilance on some tracks bass seemed a bit lacking but was present. again i had been listening to my 3590s prior to these. Very very comfortable to wear. 

ES-700: Very similar to the AD900X only with a tad less treble energy and sound stage and a little more bass. Very stylish, would wear them in public every chance i got. 

AD1000X: good stage as with the AD900X but the AD1000X sound sig seemed very V to me, mids were way further back on the AD1000X then the AD900X and even my 3590s. 

AD2000X: again good stage but didnt seem to extended as far either direction as the AD900X  mid bass was present but seem to roll off very quickly after and treble was rolled off as well. not sure if it was faulty but if it wasnt i would be very disappointed with their performance especially at the asking price of 880,000W  ( ~$800).

A900X: Similar sound sig to the AD900X but seem considerably more congested.  

Now to try and convince my wife to let me buy those AD900X's.... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back