The discovery thread!
Feb 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #6,781 of 100,101
Quote:

On amazon.ca, the HD600's are over $500 Canadian. Might be able to get them for as low as $400 Canadian (plus $40 tenso shipping) on amazon.ja, but there would probably be customs as well, so again, near $500. I suspect your HD600's are used, not that it matters if they work!. Great deal for $299! I look forward to hearing the HD600's some day!

Brand new with 2 year warranty!  $299 shipped, ordered them January 31, got them today.  They shipped from Minneapolis, and I am less than two hours away!

razordogaudio.com had a $100 off coupon code until January 31!

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #6,782 of 100,101
Quote:
Since it looks like iSK tries to cater to pro audio and these are monitors possibly for stage use, I thought they may be something interesting to try. They seem to be the best off-brand IEMs I saw on aliexpress. You see a large range of decent-looking headphones, but decent IEMs are much scarcer, so I suppose that's what caught my attention.

I might spring for them. They also have an amp (iSK HA-400) and a USB DAC (iSK UK-400). Interesting. They remind me a lot of Behringer. Hopefully, they make better products then that company (although the UCA 202 is supposed to be pretty nice, and might be a legitimate competitor to the ELE.)

Do you think I should go for the SEM5 or the SEM6?

Quote:

The Somic's way over achieve, huge soundstage, detail and natural sounding, (no mods needed for these except Shure 840 pads).  But my Sennheiser, HD600's, are better than both the Somic's and the AD900X......for $299 shipped, I got a good deal, and finally found something I can live with for a looooooooooooong time (will never part with these).  They have a true natural and neutral sound, large soundstage, and the best vocals I have ever heard..............plus a removeable cable, that I already have plans for multiple cables over time. They are most definately an AD900X upgrade!

I found some EDM, and listened on soundcard, just so I knew what all of the younger headfiers are listening to!  But by description, "dance music", disco type music, it is something I would rather not listen to.  Will not be my prefered genre..............eeeevvveeeerrrrrr!  LOL 

Congrats! I am very glad you found a headphone you're satisfied with!

Also, in the scope of electronic music, perhaps you'd be more interested in downtempo.

Royksopp and Moby are a good place to start.

Nu jazz is pretty spiffy as well. I like Goldfish and Caravan Palace.

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #6,783 of 100,101
Yeah, that's about right - I usually see the HD 600 in my local stores for around 400 buck and 350 has been the lowest. BTW, I just saw at the online page of one of my local audio stores that from this month they carry the entire selection of the iSK headphones that Cash was interested in - I should go next weekend when I'm free to see if they have them available for audition coz they are dirty cheap - they even have the iems. 

edit: BTW, wow but I just found that they carry the somics too - I should be getting some new cheap  
size]
 headphones this month to see what the fuss is about and the best part is that I won't have to wait for stuff to come from China

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #6,784 of 100,101
Quote:
I might spring for them. They also have an amp (iSK HA-400) and a USB DAC (iSK UK-400). Interesting. They remind me a lot of Behringer. Hopefully, they make better products then that company (although the UCA 202 is supposed to be pretty nice, and might be a legitimate competitor to the ELE.)

Do you think I should go for the SEM5 or the SEM6?

Congrats! I am very glad you found a headphone you're satisfied with!

Also, in the scope of electronic music, perhaps you'd be more interested in downtempo.

Cash buddy, I am very satisfied with the Somic's, great sound, nice find......I will be keeping them for sure, as well as the S500's.  I have a few cables to build for the HD600, found Cardas cable for under $10 a foot, same as what they use for their Sennheiser cable that sells for over $250.....I can build a six foot for around $80.  I have decided to recable the Somic's for a double entry cable like the picture I PM'd to you, the paracord material, only in black.  The single sided cable is always getting in the way, and the 3.5mm plug fails intermittently in my Mogami extension cable.  I am changing to a 6.3mm plug!

I put the S500's on my 9 year old grandson yesterday, and the little s**t wouldn't take them off and give them back to me!  LMAO!  He said these sound way better than my HP's out of my sansa....he loved Mumford and Sons!   
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #6,785 of 100,101
Quote:

Nu jazz is pretty spiffy as well. I like Goldfish and Caravan Palace.

I have a lot of Moby, but the others you linked are new to me, and they are great - thanks Cash! I really like that Goldfish tune. Cool.

C'mon cute, just try to tell me that Goldfish tune doesn't work for ya!

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #6,786 of 100,101
Quote:
Yeah, that's about right - I usually see the HD 600 in my local stores for around 400 buck and 350 has been the lowest. BTW, I just saw at the online page of one of my local audio stores that from this month they carry the entire selection of the iSK headphones that Cash was interested in - I should go next weekend when I'm free to see if they have them available for audition coz they are dirty cheap - they even have the iems. 

edit: BTW, wow but I just found that they carry the somics too - I should be getting some new cheap  
size]
 headphones this month to see what the fuss is about and the best part is that I won't have to wait for stuff to come from China

Kova4A,

do you live in heaven? Legitimate question.

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #6,788 of 100,101
Right, I'm a basshead that listens to a lot of dance, trance, dubstep and so on, but also listen to the odd Kpop, pop, rock etc. 

What IEMs should I be looking at? I've heard the XB90EX and CKS99 are good, anything else I should consider that I might have missed? Want an upgrade from FX101s.

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #6,789 of 100,101
Quote:
Right, I'm a basshead that listens to a lot of dance, trance, dubstep and so on, but also listen to the odd Kpop, pop, rock etc. 

What IEMs should I be looking at? I've heard the XB90EX and CKS99 are good, anything else I should consider that I might have missed? Want an upgrade from FX101s.

It really depends on your price range. The JVC HA-FX3X might be a viable option.

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #6,791 of 100,101
Quote:
Yeah, headphones with angel wings are flying all around me
size]

Please keep the thread posted with your impressions of the auditions. This company is either going to be like Sennheiser (good, obviously) or like Behringer (eww), in that they create tools for all aspects of studio operation. Their cans are great, but don't underestimate a nice Sennheiser microphone.

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #6,792 of 100,101
The headfier that purchased my AD900X, sent me a PM with a couple of comments regarding them.  "Unfortunately I HATE the AD-900X-lol! Was quite a surprise as I was expecting to like them."  "Yeah, one's man's poison is another man's candy". 
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #6,793 of 100,101
Quote:

Please keep the thread posted with your impressions of the auditions. This company is either going to be like Sennheiser (good, obviously) or like Behringer (eww), in that they create tools for all aspects of studio operation. Their cans are great, but don't underestimate a nice Sennheiser microphone.

Cash, is that the new Somic?  
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #6,794 of 100,101
Quote:

I have a lot of Moby, but the others you linked are new to me, and they are great - thanks Cash! I really like that Goldfish tune. Cool.

C'mon cute, just try to tell me that Goldfish tune doesn't work for ya!

Nope, but I love the little Goldfish cheddar flavor crackers! 
wink_face.gif

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #6,795 of 100,101
Quote:
The headfier that purchased my AD900X, sent me a PM with a couple of comments regarding them.  "Unfortunately I HATE the AD-900X-lol! Was quite a surprise as I was expecting to like them."  "Yeah, one's man's poison is another man's candy". 
confused_face_2.gif

Ouch. Those cans seem pretty hit or miss.

Anyway, one thing I completely didn't think of was the Shrue SRH-940 pads on the Somics. The 940 pads are essentially velour versions of the 840 pads. Perhaps they're worth a shot, as they'd probably decrease bass response a bit, making them more neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back