The discovery thread!
Apr 29, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #100,096 of 101,772
Letshuoer S12 ($109), Hidizs MP145 ($128), Kiwi Ear Quartet ($109), or Simgot EM6L ($110)? These would be my first real upgrade from budget IEMs (I enjoy my Kiwi Ear Cadenzas the most - also like the Salnotes Zero 2 because they fit well). I have bigger ears, so size isn't an issue. I would lean towards the MP145 based on everything I'm reading. Based on liking the Cadenza's sound signature and these options, which would be the best upgrade? Something I'm not considering that I should?
The Quartet is a bassy musical venture. Cadenza is similar, minus the thick midbass on the Quartet, but if you want a pure fun musical set, then the Quartet will satisfy you if you enjoy the Cadenza?

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #100,097 of 101,772
image.jpg

Planned to finish reviewing the ACE but ended up listening and compulsively wrote down impressions of the EA1000 instead. Most of its aspects are alright and the DD being used here is quite good, but that stage is what this set interesting. It’s like there is another set of speakers outside the ear canals slightly echo the midrange notes. It’s subtle, kinda like the subtle effect of the vibrating plates (aka “bone conduction driver”) in MEST III.

Isolation is quite poor though. In louder environments, the lower mid is masked so I need to turn up the volume, and the shoutiness was unbearable with female vocal tracks.

Bass is kinda dry, but clean, hits deep, and quite textured.

I’ll keep burning in this set (aka listening every day)
Man you have beautiful hand writing. If someone looks at how I write they might pull the life support off haha

Apr 29, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #100,098 of 101,772
Man you have beautiful hand writing. If someone looks at how I write they might pull the life support off haha
I have the same problem haha

Apr 29, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #100,099 of 101,772
Screen Shot 2024-04-30 at 9.28.10 am.png

Screen Shot 2024-04-30 at 9.28.03 am.png

It's raining good IEM, mates :beyersmile: AFUL Explorer is coming late May. They got me at the line in the marketing material: "fusion of Magic One and P series"

Apr 29, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #100,100 of 101,772
Screen Shot 2024-04-30 at 9.28.10 am.png
Screen Shot 2024-04-30 at 9.28.03 am.png

It's raining good IEM, mates :beyersmile: AFUL Explorer is coming late May. They got me at the line in the marketing material: "fusion of Magic One and P series"
1714435293726.png

I can get only so excited. Too many iems all of a sudden. It's like the factories are turning on or something!

Apr 29, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #100,101 of 101,772
It's raining good IEM, mates
me in january: 2024 am taking a break from buying things

me now: have a new daily IEM coming along with the R4, and an entire stock of new cables.

sigh

Apr 29, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #100,102 of 101,772
me in january: 2024 am taking a break from buying things

me now: have a new daily IEM coming along with the R4, and an entire stock of new cables.

sigh
IMHO, the R4 is one of, if not the most significant release in the last 12 months or so. For the first time we have a capable Android DAP with proper sound quality (not those stingy tinny sound of micro DAPs of the yester-year aka Hiby Pro Saber) at $250. IEMs improvement is weekly, but cheaper capable sources is very rare. Yes, it’s more or less at the level of a capable dongle, but it has full Android and streaming support.

Can’t wait for the arm race between Hiby and others in this space. Though it seems FiiO has already tapped out, claiming that even the M11S has razor thin profit margin.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #100,103 of 101,772
Delci fit is so comfortable & uber plush with the tragus, feels like you're not wearing iems, hence tracks are more engaging cos your not aware of them whatsoever. After one days burn in: you can sense that any initial frequency transient spikes are starting to smooth out = more "Kefined" !! :beerchug:
The Delci and Artti R1 are about as good as it gets for $60 in our hobby, along with the Crinacle Red.

And I still can't decide between the Delci and R1 despite a lot of A/B testing over the weekend. They're so similar. More sub-bass boom in Delci, more mid-bass punch in R1. Vocals more forward in Delci, treble a touch crisper in R1.

Both so good for $60, though.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #100,104 of 101,772
IMHO, the R4 is one of, if not the most significant release in the last 12 months or so. For the first time we have a capable Android DAP with proper sound quality (not those stingy tinny sound of micro DAPs of the yester-year aka Hiby Pro Saber) at $250. IEMs improvement is weekly, but cheaper capable sources is very rare. Yes, it’s more or less at the level of a capable dongle, but it has full Android and streaming support.

Can’t wait for the arm race between Hiby and others in this space. Though it seems FiiO has already tapped out, claiming that even the M11S has razor thin profit margin.
Yeah that R4 was cheaper than my RU7 lol, madness. I have no idea how they did it, would love a breakdown at some point of how but I doubt that will happen!

I was ready to pay like 450 for the R4 when it was first announced; and it’s almost half that. Wild.

Apr 29, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #100,105 of 101,772

My thoughts exactly. In my eyes the only real competition for it at the moment is the Tempotec V6 but this is 50 dollars more with a very dated Android OS, less memory but more power on tap. I will be interested in seeing how these two compare once my R4 arrives.

I don't mind the little Hiby R3 Pro DAPs but like you said, once you get a DAP like the V6/R4 in your hands it's game over man.

VZ98Ba.gif

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #100,106 of 101,772
My thoughts exactly. In my eyes the only real competition for it at the moment is the Tempotec V6 but this is 50 dollars more with a very dated Android OS, less memory but more power on tap. I will be interested in seeing how these two compare once my R4 arrives.

I don't mind the little Hiby R3 Pro DAPs but like you said, once you get a DAP like the V6/R4 in your hands it's game over man.

VZ98Ba.gif
I was sorta thinking about getting an android “iPod” like this r4 for work because I don’t want to use my iPhone at my job… this looks kinda thick and heavy though so not sure it would be too pocketable.

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #100,107 of 101,772
For the first time we have a capable Android DAP with proper sound quality (not those stingy tinny sound of micro DAPs of the yester-year aka Hiby Pro Saber) at $250.

I don't know, man. The Tempotec Variations V6, the one with the black knob discount, beat the R4 to market by close to 5 months. It was approximately $230 USDs then, which also undercuts the R4's price.

I also don't tend to agree with your assessment of the R3 Pro Saber's sound quality, either. I would say it's pretty good, and nowhere near as bad as you suggest. But then, YMMV, unit variance, and all that rot.

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #100,108 of 101,772
I don't know, man. The Tempotec Variations V6, the one with the black knob discount, beat the R4 to market by close to 5 months. It was approximately $230 USDs then, which also undercuts the R4's price.

Oh yeah, I forgot that. Maybe Tempotec does not do marketing as well as HiBy :beyersmile: When I think of audiophile electronics, my mind automatically goes to the gang HiBy, Shanling, iBasso, FiiO and nothing else. I wonder how the V6 sounds and runs. I have never seen one in real life.

I also don't tend to agree with your assessment of the R3 Pro Saber's sound quality, either. I would say it's pretty good, and nowhere near as bad as you suggest. But then, YMMV, unit variance, and all that rot.

I found it sounds quite close to the Hidizs AP80 ProX that I have here. Yes, none of these device sounds outright bad or "low-fi." I don't think we see "bad" DACs nowadays in the age of IC based delta-sigma DAC. Almost every DAC/amp sounds crystal clear.

My dislike of these devices mostly stem from the staging and perceived dynamic, and just how much I struggled with the AP80 Pro X to make it sounds the way I want it to sound. Swapping to G5, and then iBasso DX300 fixed all the complain I have. So I agree I do have a strong bias against devices that sound like AP80 Pro X, which the R3 Pro Saber happens to be. The R3II does not sound like these, so I liked it immediately.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #100,109 of 101,772
The R4 has a neat look, I dig it, but maybe not so comfy in hand. Maybe I’ll just stick with my Saber for now, it has an agreeable punchy sound, and power is just right for IEMs. The increase in power from the 2022 version and proceeding DAPs from HiBy might even be less ideal for IEMs since you don’t get as much volume play. My original Saber sitting around 35/100 on balanced volume low gain feels plenty fleshed out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back