The discovery thread!
Apr 29, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #100,081 of 101,723
image.jpg

Planned to finish reviewing the ACE but ended up listening and compulsively wrote down impressions of the EA1000 instead. Most of its aspects are alright and the DD being used here is quite good, but that stage is what this set interesting. It’s like there is another set of speakers outside the ear canals slightly echo the midrange notes. It’s subtle, kinda like the subtle effect of the vibrating plates (aka “bone conduction driver”) in MEST III.

Isolation is quite poor though. In louder environments, the lower mid is masked so I need to turn up the volume, and the shoutiness was unbearable with female vocal tracks.

Bass is kinda dry, but clean, hits deep, and quite textured.

I’ll keep burning in this set (aka listening every day)
Funny how people hear things differently. Though I agree with you on almost all your points of articulation, which is very accurate, the reason I parted ways with the EA1000 is because when I compared it with the Trio and the OD200, the EA1000's soundstage came up short, and was very in your ears, even when amplified. That and the bass, though quick as lightning and crazy resolving, did lack some heft, and when side by sided with the OD200, was almost Crin anemic in the midbass. Now technicalities were superb, and the timbre and treble clarity slayed the Trio and the OD200, after getting the EA500LM, I'm getting pretty close to 95% of the performance of the EA1000 at almost half the cost, with a bit more midbass warmth than the EA1000, with better soundstage dimensions, with almost the same beautifully rendered treble region. So Trio>EA500LM=OD200>EA1000 in terms of stage dimensions.

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #100,082 of 101,723
Letshuoer S12 ($109), Hidizs MP145 ($128), Kiwi Ear Quartet ($109), or Simgot EM6L ($110)? These would be my first real upgrade from budget IEMs (I enjoy my Kiwi Ear Cadenzas the most - also like the Salnotes Zero 2 because they fit well). I have bigger ears, so size isn't an issue. I would lean towards the MP145 based on everything I'm reading. Based on liking the Cadenza's sound signature and these options, which would be the best upgrade? Something I'm not considering that I should?

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #100,083 of 101,723
It's that time of the year, no month, no week, . . . whatever

Starts May 1st, blah, blah, blah
1714420272930.png

1714420298591.png

Apr 29, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #100,084 of 101,723
Yeah pretty much. Now there's a few super budget Moondrop's that apparently have some spicy trebles, I forget the name (spaceship?), but even my Crescents are tuned fairly thick and inoffensive, and most of my $100 and above MD's fall right in that category too, so I'd say with a slight few exceptions, the answer is yes.
Yes, I agree. I have had the Aria and the original Chu and they were both similar with an inoffensive sound. Drawer food, I'm afraid.

Apr 29, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #100,085 of 101,723
Letshuoer S12 ($109), Hidizs MP145 ($128), Kiwi Ear Quartet ($109), or Simgot EM6L ($110)? These would be my first real upgrade from budget IEMs (I enjoy my Kiwi Ear Cadenzas the most - also like the Salnotes Zero 2 because they fit well). I have bigger ears, so size isn't an issue. I would lean towards the MP145 based on everything I'm reading. Based on liking the Cadenza's sound signature and these options, which would be the best upgrade? Something I'm not considering that I should?
- S12 is quite bright, and doesn't really have the bass response for my tastes. It was my first IEM, it has been outclassed in the last year for sure. I do regret selling tho! Would look at the Pro if you are still leaning S12.
- Quartet - havent heard, would like to but its got lotsa treble afaik. a good option if you are looking for a more analytical listen.
- EM6L I also haven't heard, but have seen enough broken nozzles that I would maybe look at another simgot model
- MP145 is my vote. 3 tuning nozzles that actually do something, from treble to mids to bass, and generous accessories. minimal planar timbre. The only time I wouldn't recommend at least demoing it would be if you have small ears, which doesn't seem to be an issue.

Apr 29, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #100,086 of 101,723
Funny how people hear things differently. Though I agree with you on almost all your points of articulation, which is very accurate, the reason I parted ways with the EA1000 is because when I compared it with the Trio and the OD200, the EA1000's soundstage came up short, and was very in your ears, even when amplified. That and the bass, though quick as lightning and crazy resolving, did lack some heft, and when side by sided with the OD200, was almost Crin anemic in the midbass. Now technicalities were superb, and the timbre and treble clarity slayed the Trio and the OD200, after getting the EA500LM, I'm getting pretty close to 95% of the performance of the EA1000 at almost half the cost, with a bit more midbass warmth than the EA1000, with better soundstage dimensions, with almost the same beautifully rendered treble region. So Trio>EA500LM=OD200>EA1000 in terms of stage dimensions.
I think it’s quite context dependent. I didn’t hear the interesting effect when using tips that force a shallow fit. The simgot DEW4x dongle from 3.5 also reduces that effect, making this IEM stage quite ordinary.

Apr 29, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #100,087 of 101,723
Eh the Quintet is ok. I had one for awhile but the treble irritated me a bit over time. I think it's still good but maybe overpriced in today's market. Simgots offerings are lower priced and do much the same thing imo.
Yes, it is probably only worth it as a second-hander by now. Hm okay, any Simgot in particular?

These folk can get multiple eargasms daily from looking at graphs without any IEMs inside the ears. The highest level of audio nirvana.
Sounds like absolute perfection, I might have to ask them to teach me their miraculous ways.

Apr 29, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #100,089 of 101,723
Yes, it is probably only worth it as a second-hander by now. Hm okay, any Simgot in particular?

I've tried 3 so far and they are all great in their own way. First the 500LM has stellar resolution and I'd consider them the detailed set to beat under $100. I did a review and only gave them 3.5 but that's because I found them to be too bright and clinical for me personally but that's not to take anything away from what Simgot has made.

The EW200 is cheaper, less resolving, and slightly less bright than the 500LM but still brighter than my personal taste. I still own mine and intend to keep it although it's not the first thing I reach for due to treble fatigue.

The EM6L is my recent acquisition. I've yet to start my review but early impressions are very favorable. It has that classic Simgot sound but leans more towards a musical presentation so not the detail monsters that the 500LM are.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #100,092 of 101,723
I have experience only with MP145: I love it even compared to TSMR X (sure the later is better for much more dollar).

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #100,093 of 101,723
Here's the OG Pilgrim's cable. Comes in 4.4mm or 3.5mm.

Pilgrim 3.jpeg

So that’s where Lee cuts costs to reduce the price of these IEMs. Naive of me to expect an EA cable with OG Pilgrim 😂

So Aful Explorer aka P3 will be released in the end of May. First batches will be available around May 6th, so we might see some graphs and reviews poping up. Hyped.

You mean your graph and review 😉

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #100,094 of 101,723
Love the Simgot trio I have. EA1000, EA500LM and EW200. The secret sauce is finding a warmer source chain for them in addition to whatever it is you do for tips, cables and nozzle/filters (etc). I toss them to my Liquid Platinum hybrid tube amp and call it a day.

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #100,095 of 101,723
Delci fit is so comfortable & uber plush with the tragus, feels like you're not wearing iems, hence tracks are more engaging cos your not aware of them whatsoever. After one days burn in: you can sense that any initial frequency transient spikes are starting to smooth out = more "Kefined" !! :beerchug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back