The discovery thread!
Feb 4, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #6,797 of 100,100
Quote:
Ouch. Those cans seem pretty hit or miss.

Anyway, one thing I completely didn't think of was the Shrue SRH-940 pads on the Somics. The 940 pads are essentially velour versions of the 840 pads. Perhaps they're worth a shot, as they'd probably decrease bass response a bit, making them more neutral.

Bass is just fine with me on the Somic's and 840 pads, after some burn in.  Makes for a more balanced sound now!

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #6,798 of 100,100
Quote:
hd25 1 ii on the way... and I'm still being haunted by the Somics. I should just give in and order them and pick the slowest shipping. that way, I would have some time with the new cans. hehe

Yes, yes you should. 
biggrin.gif
 Only one is left on eBay. It's amazing what Head-Fi can do. 
eek.gif

Quote:

Bass is just fine with me on the Somic's and 840 pads, after some burn in.  Makes for a more balanced sound now!

I like the bass too, but to my ears, it's a bit north of neutral. 

Some people might not like that sound signature.

If someone wants the Somics, but isn't a huge fan of bass, maybe these would be a good option. Some people also just really like velour, so at least the option is there.

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #6,799 of 100,100
I lurked around in here and bit on the Somics. I've got the Project Sunrise tube amp (Version 2) - offtopic: if anyone's looking for a fantastic, affordable tube amp, this has to be one of the top options out there. Just amazing sound!

Anyways, I've also picked up the Shure 840 pads and can't wait for these babies to come in. I'll be interested to see how they compare to my Beyer DT880 250Ohms.

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #6,800 of 100,100
I might spring for them. They also have an amp (iSK HA-400) and a USB DAC (iSK UK-400). Interesting. They remind me a lot of Behringer. Hopefully, they make better products then that company (although the UCA 202 is supposed to be pretty nice, and might be a legitimate competitor to the ELE.)

Do you think I should go for the SEM5 or the SEM6?

It's pretty hard to decide on which, innit? There's no real indication of what either of them would sound like, so I think it just boils down to how much money you're willing to put in. I suppose the SEM5 would be the safest to go with, but the 6 isn't exactly gonna break the bank. But what is it with these guys and making things in RED? Blegh. That said, I have seen brief reviews on the SEM5 and not the SEM6, so it might be worth it just for exclusivity? :p

You listen to Goldfish? AWESOME, they're getting international exposure. It's always great when our local guys manage that. If I'm not mistaken, that music video has some Claymation at the end that a fellow animator I know did. At least, I know one of their videos does. Small world, hm?

Check out a band called Lark if you're into the electro stuff. They're my favourite local act although I didn't really dig their most recent release. Got a little too experimental. I mean, their older stuff was weird anyway.

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #6,801 of 100,100
Quote:
It's pretty hard to decide on which, innit? There's no real indication of what either of them would sound like, so I think it just boils down to how much money you're willing to put in. I suppose the SEM5 would be the safest to go with, but the 6 isn't exactly gonna break the bank. But what is it with these guys and making things in RED? Blegh. That said, I have seen brief reviews on the SEM5 and not the SEM6, so it might be worth it just for exclusivity? :p

You listen to Goldfish? AWESOME, they're getting international exposure. It's always great when our local guys manage that. If I'm not mistaken, that music video has some Claymation at the end that a fellow animator I know did. At least, I know one of their videos does. Small world, hm?

Check out a band called Lark if you're into the electro stuff. They're my favourite local act although I didn't really dig their most recent release. Got a little too experimental. I mean, their older stuff was weird anyway.

I'm leaning towards the 5, since it "looks" more like a studio tool, but as the EFis showed, looks can be deceiving.

They're both about the same price, actually, if you go through the proper sellers. 

What did the reviews say about the SEM5?

Also, Goldfish is freaking amazing! I'll look up Lark right now.

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #6,802 of 100,100
No, I agree, the SEM6 looks silly in the bright red :). If I liked them, I would probably send them down, spray with some black vinyl dye (which is one of the most awesome things I have ever come across) and replace the cable. But that would be work and money, so... :wink:.

Reviews I read were brief and kind of pointless, to be honest. I can barely remember them, but they seemed to be positive without any real substance as to what the IEMs actually sound like. So... Yeah, probably part of the reason I didn't spring on them.

Yeah, Lark is pretty different from Goldfish. Not the upbeat happy stuff, but I enjoy them a lot in their own right. And Inge is just fabulous live. What a voice, what charisma.

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #6,803 of 100,100
Quote:
No, I agree, the SEM6 looks silly in the bright red
smily_headphones1.gif
. If I liked them, I would probably send them down, spray with some black vinyl dye (which is one of the most awesome things I have ever come across) and replace the cable. But that would be work and money, so...
wink.gif

Reviews I read were brief and kind of pointless, to be honest. I can barely remember them, but they seemed to be positive without any real substance as to what the IEMs actually sound like. So... Yeah, probably part of the reason I didn't spring on them.

Yeah, Lark is pretty different from Goldfish. Not the upbeat happy stuff, but I enjoy them a lot in their own right. And Inge is just fabulous live. What a voice, what charisma.

I don't know. I'll give it a look-see. I really want to save up for a "real" DAC and amp, so my "discoveries" might be down for a while, but I'll probably spring for the SEM5s in the coming days (kind of pointless to hurry with Chinese New Year leaving most sellers closed for the next two weeks).

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #6,804 of 100,100
Or...maybe my Discoveries will be picking up.

There are some Arcatron HA-100 headphone amps going for $25 shipped from an equipment liquidator on eBay.

I've never heard of this company...ever. They're virtually unGooglable. Maybe they're priced so cheaply due to a total lack of information about the product.

These look...different.

That's either going to be very good or very bad.

I'm interested.

EDIT: It looks like, from the seller's items, that an entire studio got liquidated. Most of the gear from said studio appears to be mid-range vintage stuff, but none of it is super-cheap. Judging by how this seller has some of the stuff priced, these are people who grossly undervalue audio equipment. I need an amp. Should I bite?

DOUBLE EDIT: Is that tone control I see? Man, this is tempting.

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #6,805 of 100,100
Quote:

Is this the Lark of which you speak? If so, that's very cool stuff.

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #6,806 of 100,100
Well, your impressions will be appreciated either way :). Maybe kova4a will get an opportunity to check the SEM6 out if his local store allows testing of IEMs.

I got the ELE dac which is doing okay for me at the moment. I'm really interested in the hifimediy sabre considering its price and good reviews. That Bravo Ocean was also at the top of my list in desktop amps, but the C&C products look awesome for portables, too. I don't have anything hard to drive at the moment so I haven't been especially concerned about that side of things. I know amps increase sound quality in other ways, but... Meh. It can wait.

For now I just gotta wait on some work before any further investments. Darn freelancing is slow at the moment.

EDIT: yep, that's the Lark I speak of. I don't know why the say they're based in the UK considering that only one of the members moved there. The singer's off doing weird Rock music with her new band called BEAST.. They have two bassists and no guitarist. Kind of interesting, but honestly a mud-fest in terms of sound to my ears.

You like the Gong is Struck songs? I... Didn't like it in comparison to the older albums, to be honest, but perhaps I didn't give it enough of a chance.

Yes, Cash, go for it! Gogogo! :D

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #6,807 of 100,100
Quote:
Well, your impressions will be appreciated either way
smily_headphones1.gif
. Maybe kova4a will get an opportunity to check the SEM6 out if his local store allows testing of IEMs.

I got the ELE dac which is doing okay for me at the moment. I'm really interested in the hifimediy sabre considering its price and good reviews. That Bravo Ocean was also at the top of my list in desktop amps, but the C&C products look awesome for portables, too. I don't have anything hard to drive at the moment so I haven't been especially concerned about that side of things. I know amps increase sound quality in other ways, but... Meh. It can wait.

For now I just gotta wait on some work before any further investments. Darn freelancing is slow at the moment.

I have 600 Ohm AKG K240Ms that I've been running out of a USB interface.

I need an amp. 

Bad.

XD.

I think I might take a trip to the local Goodwill to pick up a vintage CD player, too.

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #6,808 of 100,100
Quote:
EDIT: yep, that's the Lark I speak of. I don't know why the say they're based in the UK considering that only one of the members moved there. The singer's off doing weird Rock music with her new band called BEAST.. They have two bassists and no guitarist. Kind of interesting, but honestly a mud-fest in terms of sound to my ears.

You like the Gong is Struck songs? I... Didn't like it in comparison to the older albums, to be honest, but perhaps I didn't give it enough of a chance.

I haven't gotten past the Gong is Struck songs yet. But judging by the huge grin on my face, I think I'm liking them a lot lol! Can't wait to hear the older stuff. Thanks for pointing them out.

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #6,809 of 100,100
I think I'm going to try making them an offer.

They probably just want to get rid of these things.

I'll try $10 and work my way up.

Official 1st offer: $10.51.

Let's see how low we can get this thing.

WOAH: They've had them on sale since mid 2012 and only 8 have sold. I bet they're really jonesing to get them gone.

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #6,810 of 100,100
I haven't gotten past the Gong is Struck songs yet. But judging by the huge grin on my face, I think I'm liking them a lot lol! Can't wait to hear the older stuff. Thanks for pointing them out.

I'm glad you like them. I should give the new album more of a listen, maybe go pick the CD up if it's available at my local store. It might just be that I just hadn't really been listening to electronic stuff for a while and couldn't appreciate so much. I need to re-rip the older albums since I can definitely hear the difference between the bitrates now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back