The discovery thread!
Feb 5, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #6,811 of 101,923
Cash :

if that is a store demo unit thingy, then I am thinking it is daisychained from a main 3 wire signal feeder cable, one side of the screw terminals will be input and one output to another of these rack mounted units to feed the source into them.  Though which mirror imaged terminal hookup side would be IN and which would be OUT you may have to post pics of the PCB board and setup.
  Of course i could be wrong but it is the only thing I can think of with the arrrangement seen in the pictures.

Man am I curious. For that price even a cmoy is hard to come by, and unless you hit up a decent garage sale or thrift store...

Gonna be interesting to see.

and don't quote me on that, just what I can figure. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Feb 5, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #6,812 of 101,923
Quote:
Cash :

if that is a store demo unit thingy, then I am thinking it is daisychained from a main 3 wire feeder cable, one side of the srewterminals will be input and one output to another of these rack mounted units to feed the source into them.  Though which would be in and which would be out you may have to post pics of the PCB board and setup.
  Of course i could be wrong but it is the only thing I can think of with the arrrangement seen in the pictures.

Man am I curious. For that price even a cmoy is hard to come by, and unless you hit up a decent garage sale or thrift store...

I'm not expecting much, but those tone controls have me a bit excited. It's something I haven't ever seen on a headphone amplifier before, but I haven't seen many headphone amplifiers.

How do you think they'd affect sound quality?

Also, every offer but one has been accepted, so I don't think I'll have many difficulties.

A $20 amp. That...screams shadiness. xD

Feb 5, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #6,813 of 101,923
Quote:
Quote:
Cash :

if that is a store demo unit thingy, then I am thinking it is daisychained from a main 3 wire feeder cable, one side of the srewterminals will be input and one output to another of these rack mounted units to feed the source into them.  Though which would be in and which would be out you may have to post pics of the PCB board and setup.

I'm not expecting much, but those tone controls have me a bit excited. It's something I haven't ever seen on a headphone amplifier before, but I haven't seen many headphone amplifiers.

How do you think they'd affect sound quality?

Also, every offer but one has been accepted, so I don't think I'll have many difficulties.

A $20 amp. That...screams shadiness. xD

Not only that but some of the other stuff they have listed is extremely over priced. It makes you wonder why the amp is so cheap.

Feb 5, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #6,814 of 101,923
Quote:
Not only that but some of the other stuff they have listed is extremely over priced. It makes you wonder why the amp is so cheap.

For one: It's in liquidation.

For two: There is literally zilch information about this thing.

For three: They have metric craptons of them.

For four: No one's buying any of them.

For five: They probably want to clear inventory, because #3 and #4.

However, it could also just suck.

I hope not.

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #6,815 of 101,923
Quote:
Quote:

For one: It's in liquidation.

For two: There is literally zilch information about this thing.

For three: They have metric craptons of them.

For four: No one's buying any of them.

For five: They probably want to clear inventory, because #3 and #4.

However, it could also just suck.

I hope not.

I've reached out to someone at Arcatron Inc to see if I can get a spec sheet for you.

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #6,816 of 101,923
Cash, what is the difference between the SRH840 pads and the SRH240 pads that cost a little over 1/3 of the SRH840 pads?  Here they are:

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC240-Replacement-Cushions-Headphones/dp/B002Z9JWZ8

The picture is the same.  If the SRH840 headphones are the same size as the SRH240, then I would think that they would likely use the same pads.  Right there you can see all the Shure pads and their prices, without changing items.  The velour pads for all models are $24.99.  But the other pads (pleather) range from $5.49 to $15.49 depending on the model be it SRH240, SRH440 or SRH840.

Update:  Here I found some more info that might be helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1QEOPDYQC1ADG/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B005OM06RG&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2CIO38NOFHGCL/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B002Z9JWZI&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1T1S7DTKAXHOF/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B002Z9JWZS&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

Reading all reviews on this item, it seems like they are all the same size, but the 840 replacement pads are not the same design as the 440 original pads.  Still, I wonder if all the pleather replacement pads (240, 440, 840) are exactly the same.  Looking at the pictures it seems like they are the same.  But, looking at the prices, it seems like they are not.

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #6,818 of 101,923
Quote:
Reading all reviews on this item, it seems like they are all the same size, but the 840 replacement pads are not the same design as the 440 original pads.  Still, I wonder if all the pleather replacement pads (240, 440, 840) are exactly the same.  Looking at the pictures it seems like they are the same.  But, looking at the prices, it seems like they are not.

I recall a lot of people with SRH440s buying 840 pads because the 440 pads were so uncomfortable. 

I'd stick with the 840 pads, or maybe go 940 for velour.

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #6,824 of 101,923
You guys are taking one for the team is my take on em but hey if it works. It will be one of the better deals for certain. The seller would like to get rid of em.. Who knows how those will sound. Will be interesting to read about the results.

A little side news. My WS99 shipped. Can't wait.

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #6,825 of 101,923
Quote:
You guys are taking one for the team is my take on em but hey if it works. It will be one of the better deals for certain. The seller would like to get rid of em.. Who knows how those will sound. Will be interesting to read about the results.

Ahh. 

Any opinion on iSK?

I'm probably going to order something of theirs in a few weeks (wouldn't make sense to order now, with it being Chinese New Year and all the sellers being closed + payday!). Anything look good?

I'm leaning towards the SEM5, but a lot of their over-ear stuff looks good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back