The discovery thread!
Feb 16, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #21,976 of 100,121
Oops, misread the out of order posts, never mind...

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #21,977 of 100,121
Well, if the IM50's are good enough for earfonia, and they are only 5680 yen ($56US), then I say "what are you all waiting for"? 
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #21,978 of 100,121
  Well, if the IM50's are good enough for earfonia, and they are only 5680 yen ($56US), then I say "what are you all waiting for"? 
evil_smiley.gif

etysmile.gif
 Some friends complained to me because of one thing... I don't consider price as a parameter for evaluating sound quality 
wink_face.gif

Well, there is NO one earphone / headphone that is good for everything. All recordings have different sound signature, it is practically impossible to have one system good for all type of recording. Proper matching and pairing are the key for good sound at lowest possible cost.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #21,979 of 100,121
  Don't know if these are gonna be an upgrade from my H3s though but I bet they sound nice none the less. I am less sensitive with peaky stuff as long as it don't poke a hole in my ears. The CKM1000 seems to have the older AT tuning..

I am saving my cash for a little something something. Hmmm

Freaking Light Harmonics Geek stuff seems to be taking what is forever for them to deliver the dacs....Forever I say!!

Forever is right.  i have e mailed them twice for info re delivery progress but no response.
question: how is the H3 sound signature different from the "older AT tuning"  i loved the sound of my ath ckm99
except for the treble harshness...wonder if the ckm1000 cured that or not....

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #21,980 of 100,121
  Forever is right.  i have e mailed them twice for info re delivery progress but no response.
question: how is the H3 sound signature different from the "older AT tuning"  i loved the sound of my ath ckm99
except for the treble harshness...wonder if the ckm1000 cured that or not....

Nope seem to be using the same tuning but a more spacious sound perhaps. It is the older AT tuning so they put a premium on treble peaks for female vocals and such and took treble extension literally. Again I think the FOstex phones would be a more safer choice for the same amount of money but then again people seem to like them CKM1000s in Japan..With newer phones out it is kind of a gamble to try out older flagships. Newer tuning seems to get better and better as well as the tech behind them.

H3 is a prime example. The H3 is a spacious large sound with great integration of drivers which leads to great integration of sound. It does so many things right and is easy to listen to with a sound tuning that is more leaning toward consumer music lover profile than and analytical audiophile, but with a technical merit to have all the goodness of why we like a big spacious sound. There is no filler in the sound and I think that is the key to a nicer bigger sound for iems. Especially when driven correct on some power the H3 don't sound like an earphone. It is large and in charge just like my SRH1540 or my X1 in sound. Very satisfying on an amp..

Extension just right on both ends with all the good stuff in spades in the middle. Detail of BAs yet with the smoothness of dynamics.. These are how hybrids should sound like.

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #21,981 of 100,121
  H3 is a prime example. The H3 is a spacious large sound with great integration of drivers which leads to great integration of sound. It does so many things right and is easy to listen to with a sound tuning that is more leaning toward consumer music lover profile than and analytical audiophile, but with a technical merit to have all the goodness of why we like a big spacious sound. There is no filler in the sound and I think that is the key to a nicer bigger sound for iems. Especially when driven correct on some power the H3 don't sound like an earphone. It is large and in charge just like my SRH1540 or my X1 in sound. Very satisfying on an amp..

Extension just right on both ends with all the good stuff in spades in the middle. Detail of BAs yet with the smoothness of dynamics.. These are how hybrids should sound like.

Tx! Interesting! Does H3 sounds better than Dunnu DN-1000?

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #21,982 of 100,121
Our good buddy Ericp will tell you.. He sold off his DN-1Ks. Says he don't listen to them as much as his H3. DN-1Ks for the price seem to be a solid choice but for guys that want to hear one of Sony's nicest sounding earphones. The H3 are it.

Believe me if you guys heard what these H3s sounds like through my ICON or 2 step. It will put a smile on your face from ear to ear. They sound great through the X3 or DX50 but the H3s love juice.. 

Oh and I think Ericp and Danny will agree..The H3 need some solid burn time. The bass become completely tight opening up what is a finely tuned mid section of the H3... No tape mod needed.

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #21,983 of 100,121
  Our good buddy Ericp will tell you.. He sold off his DN-1Ks. Says he don't listen to them as much as his H3. DN-1Ks for the price seem to be a solid choice but for guys that want to hear one of Sony's nicest sounding earphones. The H3 are it.

Believe me if you guys heard what these H3s sounds like through my ICON or 2 step. It will put a smile on your face from ear to ear. They sound great through the X3 or DX50 but the H3s love juice.. 

Oh and I think Ericp and Danny will agree..The H3 need some solid burn time. The bass become completely tight opening up what is a finely tuned mid section of the H3... No tape mod needed.

That's clear! Thanks! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Will look for H3 and try it 
wink_face.gif

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #21,984 of 100,121
The H3 is one of those earphones that guys will judge based on how they sound with no burn in time. Hence the tape mod.. I can see a demo of the H3 not sounding as nice as the pair I own. Again it is that burn in time that people choose to overlook on the H3s. The treble also improves with burn in as well and people don't mention that.

The treble on open listen was somewhat similar to my XBA-3 treble. A bit thin sounding to my ears.. They don't sound like that now however.  But it is one of those things either you believe in burn in or you don't ..I know for a fact the bass was bloated on open listen.

which is why people do the tape mod

They have none of that bloat now on my pair and that same thin treble is no longer thin sounding at all.

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #21,985 of 100,121
  The H3 is one of those earphones that guys will judge based on how they sound with no burn in time. Hence the tape mod.. I can see a demo of the H3 not sounding as nice as the pair I own. Again it is that burn in time that people choose to overlook on the H3s. The treble also improves with burn in as well and people don't mention that.

The treble on open listen was somewhat similar to my XBA-3 treble. A bit thin sounding to my ears.. They don't sound like that now however.  But it is one of those things either you believe in burn in or you don't ..I know for a fact the bass was bloated on open listen.

They have none of that bloat now on my pair and that same thin treble is no longer thin sounding at all.

How many days burn-in your H3 took to achieve that sound?

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #21,986 of 100,121
I told you so! (about the im-02s that is).

Either way though, I can only approve of the SQ of the im-02's if it beats the fostex. Will hopefully buy it this week.

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #21,987 of 100,121

How many days burn-in your H3 took to achieve that sound?

2 weeks of solid burn in time maybe longer. I have easily over 200 hours of my drum n bass mix blasted through them. That bass end settles in tremendously.  I can't see a how a shop demo could sound like my pair. Even with casual use with music playing through them the treble will get fuller perhaps with just use as the overall cohesiveness of the sound become much better but that bass from the 16mm liquid polymer drivers. 

Needs the hours for them to tighten up. Guys that read this and don't believe in burn in..Try it and tell me I am wrong. 2 weeks straight. Loudish volumes your bassiest drum n bass mix. Listen to it after and tell me what is bloated..

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #21,988 of 100,121

I can see bass cleaning itself up after a while, but the tape mod serves the purpose of reducing bass in the physical quantity of decibels. There's no amount of burn in that I have ever heard or seen documented that's dropped any frequency range down by ~4-6 dB. So cleaner or tighter bass is one thing, but if you literally want less bass, you need to alter the physical properties of the acoustic system or use DSP, which in this case can be achieved by limiting airflow.

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #21,989 of 100,121

2 weeks of solid burn in time maybe longer. I have easily over 200 hours of my drum n bass mix blasted through them. That bass end settles in tremendously.  I can't see a how a shop demo could sound like my pair. Even with casual use with music playing through them the treble will get fuller perhaps with just use as the overall cohesiveness of the sound become much better but that bass from the 16mm liquid polymer drivers. 

Needs the hours for them to tighten up. Guys that read this and don't believe in burn in..Try it and tell me I am wrong. 2 weeks straight. Loudish volumes your bassiest drum n bass mix. Listen to it after and tell me what is bloated..

Wow, 2 weeks 
blink.gif

Ok I'll take note of that 
wink_face.gif

I'm not against burn-in. It does change sound signature. I just think it should have been done in the factory. Rather then wasting users time...
Premium product should be at optimum sound out of the box. If it still requires burn-in, that means the manufacturer hasn't done their homework, and sell it as an unfinished product, not really ready to deliver optimum sound out of the box.

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #21,990 of 100,121
I can see bass cleaning itself up after a while, but the tape mod serves the purpose of reducing bass in the physical quantity of decibels. There's no amount of burn in that I have ever heard or seen documented that's dropped any frequency range down by ~4-6 dB. So cleaner or tighter bass is one thing, but if you literally want less bass, you need to alter the physical properties of the acoustic system or use DSP, which in this case can be achieved by limiting airflow.

I suppose your right on that account and you have to be ok with some bass presence on a big 16mm in ear driver. I don't think it curbs the bass end to that extent perhaps more like 2-3 dbs. But that 2-3 goes a long ways to tighten that bass end. I don't mind a little bass bump in my sound so I suppose it is more a preference level of just how much bass one wants. It is cool that you can control the bass end without eq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back